Magic By Mail

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Hey guys,

I've recently sponsored a child through the World Vision organization. Her name is Shruti and she lives in india. I want to share with her as much about me as possible, and it would practically be lying to exclude magic from my letter.

I'm trying to come up with a simple trick to demonstrate in my letter. do you guys have any ideas?

the only one i can think of is the grey elephants in denmark trick. which is a great trick. but its not me, and it portrays mind reading more than magic. and i do magic... so if anybody has any thoughts, i'd be more than grateful

and is anybody familiar with cultural views on magic in india? World Vision is a christian organization and i'm sure that there shouldn't be any faith issues with this. but there maybe some cultural conflicts.

I appreciate all of your help.
Web

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys,

I've recently sponsored a child through the World Vision organization. Her name is Shruti and she lives in india. I want to share with her as much about me as possible, and it would practically be lying to exclude magic from my letter.

I'm trying to come up with a simple trick to demonstrate in my letter. do you guys have any ideas?

the only one i can think of is the grey elephants in denmark trick. which is a great trick. but its not me, and it portrays mind reading more than magic. and i do magic... so if anybody has any thoughts, i'd be more than grateful

and is anybody familiar with cultural views on magic in india? World Vision is a christian organization and i'm sure that there shouldn't be any faith issues with this. but there maybe some cultural conflicts.

I appreciate all of your help.
Web

Ummm, The Biddle Trick? Its a great piece of magic, and this is one of the first tricks i learnt when i first started.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Alain Nu's Nu Sense Would be awesome! But its more of a mind thing making a prediction before hand.

If you chose this. You would put the prediction on the back with the instructions on the front.

I Personally think this would be great but she obviously might not have the items actually used in the routine, watch a key and a ring but they could be any objects that you might think she has.

Its a great thing you are doing by the way please tell us how it turns out.

Tom

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I'm Indian (I still live in US), and I personally think what you are doing is just... wonderful!

About religion and magic, I doubt there would be any conflict, unless you ate beef in the story, or killed a cow... Or something like that... Cows are religious in India. Well if she's Hindu... If she's Muslim, don't talk about pork either. Just avoid those two...

As for the trick. Tell the story of C3, step by step. I personally think that really is just amazing..

Rupayan

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
the thing is, she's in the world vision program so shes heard the story of Jesus Christ. but culture will still linger into the faith.

what i just realized.... I'm a beef farmer.. we have a herd of about a hundred and ten head... we breed them, then sell the calves. who are raised on grass in places like south dakota, then sold to meat packing plants.. where they are butchered... might be a problem. maybe i can convince her scripturally that what my family does is ok.

whats the story of C3?

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Yo Web,

I am Indian too. Just putting that out there.

While I do respect your families business and such, I still do not think you should even mention that in your letter. While in America it is a common practice, in India, it is like treason. The people in India live by MUCH stricter rules of religion than an Indian such as myself would live by.

As far as magic goes, sorry man. I got nothing.

Just offering that little bit of advice. And like Rneogy said, just leave pork out too.

But respect man for doing something so kind and thoughtful.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
what i just realized.... I'm a beef farmer.. we have a herd of about a hundred and ten head... we breed them, then sell the calves. who are raised on grass in places like south dakota, then sold to meat packing plants.. where they are butchered... might be a problem. maybe i can convince her scripturally that what my family does is ok.

That really made me laugh...

I'd leave the beef out of beef farmer unless you were sure about her family's religious beliefs...

Depending on how long letters take to get there, it may be feasible to perform Alvo Stockman's Postmentalism... Not much is coming to mind unfortunately...

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
well we raise crops to, so i'll focus on that. haha

it takes letters two to four weeks.. i don't own postmentalism. but the thought did cross my mind

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hmm. You would need to offer proof that you posted the letter when you say you did (i.e. before the event you're predicting). Usually, they are with you and can even post the letter themselves. This is the problem...

May 19, 2010
Interactive card trick.

You could do one of those interactive card tricks using a letter. The ones where you have five cards, they think of one, and when they flip the letter over it is missing.It would be really easy to do and establishes you as a magician. The only downside would be that it is fairly easy to figure out. But if your not trying to really fool her it could be fun.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
You could do one of those interactive card tricks using a letter. The ones where you have five cards, they think of one, and when they flip the letter over it is missing.It would be really easy to do and establishes you as a magician. The only downside would be that it is fairly easy to figure out. But if your not trying to really fool her it could be fun.

I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THESE!! thank you so much Fish, it would clearly define what it is i do. ah thank you so much.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
C3... You know, Con Cam Coincidencia? It's an ondemand at DanandDave.com? I was just thinking you could tell her what you can do... I thought you knew the trick... Nevermind that then...

Maybe you could do one of those special math magic tricks, and they always end up at 1089 or something like that, I forget..

About the farming thing... Yeah, just leave out the beef...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
C3 wouldn't work by mail - at least, not in as is form. Can't say why, since the process is the method - but one part of the process would not at all be deceptive if the participant was asked to do it.

Also, the dirty work is best hidden through strong presentation. I've fooled people who knew how the trick was done by talking; but I couldn't imagine performing this without being able to talk for anyone. Saying the right thing at the right time is too important to hiding the method of the effect.

Apr 20, 2010
C3 wouldn't work by mail - at least, not in as is form. Can't say why, since the process is the method - but one part of the process would not at all be deceptive if the participant was asked to do it.

Also, the dirty work is best hidden through strong presentation. I've fooled people who knew how the trick was done by talking; but I couldn't imagine performing this without being able to talk for anyone. Saying the right thing at the right time is too important to hiding the method of the effect.

As odd as this will sound: I think he knows. He thought it might be fun to just give the patter and explain the trick (not exposure, but the steps, yanno?). It wouldn't really work at all.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
As odd as this will sound: I think he knows. He thought it might be fun to just give the patter and explain the trick (not exposure, but the steps, yanno?). It wouldn't really work at all.

I didn't think that he wanted to do some magic through mail. I thought he just wanted to tell the girl WHAT he COULD do... And C3 is just an amazing trick, so I thought that would be a cool trick to tell her. Not explain the method, but explain what happens...

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
One idea might be to send your prediction in the mail, and after it is in the mail, have them think of an animal or object, etc. Then when they get the mail, it would be right. You would probably have to use one of those Elephants in Denmark type tricks tho. just a thought

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results