Magic Castle Help

Feb 3, 2008
Hey Guys!
I am trying out for the Magic Castle in March, and i was wondering if anybody had any good ideas as far as routines go......
Thanks!

in the interview dont tell them about your collection of E dvd`s. they want to hear mark wilsons course in magic strong magic ortiz, etc.

DON`T run gaffs! dont do any trick that you can buy from a magic store and learn in 5 minutes, and don`t do self working tricks.

Plan 20 minutes, expect to perform 2 minutes.

they love to see classics. linking rings cups and balls etc.

tip: they have a code. if they tell you to go upstairs and have a drink you pass. if they say to have a few drinks then your on the fence. if they tell you to get loaded then you failed.

good luck!

Aug 31, 2007
in the interview dont tell them about your collection of E dvd`s. they want to hear mark wilsons course in magic strong magic ortiz, etc.

DON`T run gaffs! dont do any trick that you can buy from a magic store and learn in 5 minutes, and don`t do self working tricks.

Plan 20 minutes, expect to perform 2 minutes.

they love to see classics. linking rings cups and balls etc.

tip: they have a code. if they tell you to go upstairs and have a drink you pass. if they say to have a few drinks then your on the fence. if they tell you to get loaded then you failed.

good luck!

I am pretty sure this is for the junior audition- so your advice might be a bit misleading.

Put together a 3-4 minutes routine. You have EXACTLY 5 minutes. If you go over- you are eliminated. When you are nervous, some people tend to rush, other people tend to stumble over their words- and go over time. So be safe with a 3-4 minute routine.

Unless you are doing stage- I wouldn't recommend linking rings, and they see cups and balls a LOT. It would be smart to not use gaffs- as Will recommended, however if you use a gaff in a way that incorporates skill with the gaff then it would fly. For instance, when I got in, I did an inversion routine and CoinTwo(which uses a gaff) for my audition. Since the gaff didn't do all the work, and it was only one part of making the trick work, it passed.

One final word of advice- the judges will be seeing over 25 auditions, so you will want to stand out. They will see lots of triumphs, and ACRs, and Coin matrixes. Do something that will not only impress then with some skill, is different, and most of all is ENTERTAINING.

Good luck,

~Zach

Thank you Mr. Draven, but possibly he was referring to the junior program. Were you? If not, then the latter post seems to cover the adult auditions.

Err... oops? He's doing the Jr. Program? Well then disreguard my advice. Mine is for the adult audition. I don't know how relevant to the Jr. Program it will be. I do know that I've heard the Jr. program is WAY more selective and particular than the adult program, in short harder, to pass.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Play to your age, be original, and be entertaining.

I don't know much about the Magic Castle auditions, but if you tell them a story about how you got into magic, and do a routine using (I don't know) legos (stealing Josh Jay's material suggestions) then you'll stand out.

But you have to figure out a magic routine with Legos.

Most importantly, have fun!

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I've sometimes wondered what would happen if in the interview, you said you had Strong Magic by Ortiz. And that's it.

Hmm.

Mar 26, 2008
Los Angeles
like everyone else said make sure its has some difficulty to it. Thats the reason i didn't get in last time. Ill see you there in march.

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
hey guys whats all the audition about? can anyone explain this? because i never heard that magic castle has auditions....
and whats jr program and adult program?

hey guys whats all the audition about? can anyone explain this? because i never heard that magic castle has auditions....
and whats jr program and adult program?

The Magic Castle is an elite private club in Hollywood, CA that is run by magicians for magicians. The club is A-list only and can be only accessed by the public and all non-members by special invite only. Members of the Castle of course have the ability to issue invites as they wish. With an invite you must ave dinner there and dinner is usually expensive.

The Magic Castle has three kinds of memberships. 1) Associate, 2) Magician, and 3) Jr. (I guess this counts as it's own entity)

The associate membership is the most expensive one and is intended to give anyone who loves magic (and has a lot of money) access to the Magic Castle. These usually are either business people or social elites that have this kind of membership. You can identify an associate by their silver pin they wear.

Next you have the Magician embership which I break into two catagories. The adults and the Jr.s. You can identify a magician member by the gold pin that they where.

The magician members enjoy a whole host of special privledges ranging from private lectures, to the ability to perform impromptu shows downstairs in the museum room, hat and hair pub, or the pellar theater (if it's not in use.) As for the Jr. program I'm not sure what they get. I know a lot of our younger adult members came up through the Jr.'s program, and twice a year the Jr.'s are booked to be the main entertainment in the castle's evening program, but other than that I'm pretty clueless to what else they do.

As with both the Adult and Jr memberships, you must pass an audition. The adults I hear is easier, which I personally think is complete BS but that's me. You'll sit before a pannel of judges and perform some magic tricks. They judge you based upon your performance and decide if you are good enough to be a member. Some pass on the first time, some don't and have to retake the audition. It's a pretty nerv racking experience if you don't know what your gettinng into.

Lastly, the Magic Castle also offers magician classes that teach the basics of magic to help you pass your audition. The last time I checked I think Mark Wilson still teaches those classes. I don't know how expensive they are either.

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
o hey. thanks for the information, cause i thought magic castle is only accessible for great magicians like Dai Vernon and Larry Jennings. Shame for me to call myself a magician :D

Aug 31, 2007
When in the Junior Program you get:

Everything the adult members get, with the exception of going to the club at night. You also get a BUNCH of advantages Adult members do not get.
You can audition to perform brunch shows in the Close-up room on Saturday and Sunday, and if you get in, you get booked(and paid) to perform close-up shows once a month. You also can audition for Future Stars week, in which Juniors perform at NIGHT in all venues for 1 week. This is very prestigious, and is also by audition. I was one of the close-up performers for Future Stars this past July.

~Zach

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results