Magic for Children's Shows

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
I was wondering what magic you guys find the most hard hitting for large children shows? I like things like the shrinking glove and the bigger magic wands. I'm always on the look out for hard hitting effects though to add to my show. The bigger the prop the better of course so all can see it.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Die Box
Bill Abbott's "The Thing"
Stratosphere
Lota Bowl
Comedy Rope Tricks
Atta Boy

These are just a few from off the top of my head.

Jul 13, 2009
Do what you are comfortable with. I think on themagicnewswire they had silly billy on and he talked about kid show magic. He also talked about doing "dangerous" magic in front of children. Things like doing the razor blade eating. He also went into detail onto why it isn't a bad trick to do in front of children. A where in the world are they going to get anything that remotely looks like double edge razors, B it is the parents fault for either giving the child double bladed razor blades or not being prenatally conscious of what their children are doing.

Umm but really should you be worrying about hard hitting effects, or entertaining effects for a family environment?

I mean the hardest hitting effect I have seen is the question and answer routine, "Oracle" act as Mr. Brown called it. But that isn't fitting for family friendly.

Die boxes and other props kind of just add a sense of novelty to you, at least whenever I see huge flashy drawer boxes or other gaudy looking illusionettes that are Cliche at best to all Kid performers. Plus most of these standard illusionets, (Stratosphere, DieBox, hippity hop whatever, etc.) Don't perform well for the adults. They are old hat, and I bet if they had a magician at their party when they were younger did the exact same tricks.

I have not performed a kid show in a long while now but I believe my lineup was *Scrambles at his computer seat to look for Mark Wilson's Course.*

Okay, here is the line up:

• One coin routine: Coin through pocket > Coin through leg (Challenge Coin vanish)> Coin A gogo
  • Bills From Nowhere
  • Torn and restored dollar
  • Six bill repeat *Note the last three effect where done with printed fake money.
  • Then after I show that I can make money out of thin air, I ask if someone in the audience wants to multiply their money. I then do Bill in Lemon.
  • Cut and restored rope
  • Three ball trick or Cups and Balls or both
  • If they wanted more I did the Mystery of the magical mommy as an encore closer/small illusion.

Hope this helps a little, I know it has made me want to go make the props again.

EDIT:

Here is the link to the episode I was refering to.

http://mnw.squarespace.com/magicnewsfeed/2010/2/9/this-week-in-magic-silly-billy-and-ken-scott.html

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results