Magic Made all my Money Disappear! (1st post New Member)

Jan 2, 2017
Hello Theory 11 Members! I am new to this Group and am enjoying reading and learning from others with the same passion for Magic. I am a Commercial Banker by day (sales guy) and my main hobby is playing the guitar, and I always have loved Magic and performing. I am pretty good with a regular deck of cards with 4-5 tricks, and bought several tricks years ago (Scotch n Soda, IT, Pen through Dollar, TT. I actually used these and they always get a great reaction. I have recently got the "bug" again and performed some tricks at my team's Christmas Party. I was standing on the other side of an outdoor bar, 8 feet across from my Boss, and made a coin vanish with S&S. I told him to look in his back pocket (I'm pretty sneaky) and he was like, no way! So, I that made me remember how fun magic was to do and I decided to get some new tricks.

I have been looking at various tricks here and on the net, and got a little carried away and just ordered several new tricks yesterday and today, as a few other small items last week on eBay: 2 PK Rings (sure they will be cheap), 10 pre-made loops that I got today. Here are the New Tricks I just ordered below. Please comment if there is a cool trick I that I should consider getting eventually. All these tricks I bought made all my Money Disappear!

OK here is my list of Spells and Trickery I ordered:

-TKO 2.0 (The Kaylor Option BLACK & WHITE Book, DVD, Gimmick). Looks pretty cool!
-Odyssey by Calin Morelli (got 1 size larger ring than I wear). Hoping it is good??!
-Departure by Chris Smith (new version)
-Ignition by Chris Smith (love my old trusty pen, so this will bring me into 2017)
-Sven Pad (included 2 pocket size pads and a free pen for $35)
-American Version Scotch & Soda (Magnetic, Dollar/Quarter) by Tango Magic
-Scotch & Soda (Magnetic) Half-Dollar and Mexican Centavo by Tango Magic
-Invisible Deck (cheap so why not)
-Mirage Deck (cheap so why not)
-Fire Wallet (I know this is stupid, and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, but I think it will be funny to use this. It's so damn ridiculous and silly! ha ha ha
-PK Rings (off eBay, cheap, so I am not expecting much)
-Loops (came with 10 off eBay. Never used loops, but have used IT. I was seriously looking and considering the Spider Pen, but it was expensive and I read conflicting reviews and it was expensive).
-Pen through Dollar (cheapo off eBay just to see what I get)

Please feel free to comment on anything I purchased, or offer advice if there is something I should read, study, and buy, to get better at Magic. I am not an expert, but pretty coordinated (I play the guitar and can shred if needed), and pick up magic pretty fast and am comfortable in front of people and crowds. I SAY I am coordinated, but I tried to do that damn "card spin' on my right middle finger, flicking it with my pointer, and couldn't do it. I only tried for a minute just to see what it felt like.

I look forward to learning from many of you guys on here and just wanted to stop by and say hello. See, I told you I got carried away. I think I bought too much stuff......

Take Care and Happy 2017 to All!

The Flying Wizard...................

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Tyler. Now all I need to go with that arsenal is some talent, cooler clothes, and an eye patch, and I'll be all set. Eye Patch is to evoke an air of mystery and recklessness......

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Welcome! My current favourite thing from this site is The Code by Andy Nyman. I carry that everywhere I go now and I have a feeling that you would enjoy it as well. I also carry Smoke 2.0 on me at all times and a pack of matches (I typically follow with it after I do the teleporting match trick found in many beginner books). The downside to Smoke is the price but I believe it is one of those tools that when used at the right time it absolutely kills people!

I always recommend the Easy to Master Card Miracles series by Michael Ammar. Any one of those volumes is a source of gold. I started with a few of those DVDs and I still do most of those tricks today. If you look at his website I believe the name of every trick in each volume is listed so if there was something that was stumping you I would urge you to seek Mr Ammar's teaching through these DVDs. He is my favourite magic teacher by far.

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Dominus. I am looking for a good DVD or book (preferably something I can watch) to learn as much as I can to build a solid foundation. Thanks for the suggestion for "Easy to Master Card Miracles series by Michael Ammar". Funny you mentioned "SMOKE 2.0"$75, as that was on my future possibilities list. I heard it comes with a Sharpie and I can guess what it is maybe? Not sure of course. HOW else would you use SMOKE as a trick, or as part of another trick? I assume (guessing as I don't
know how it's done) you can't TALK once you have smoke in your mouth??

I heard about The Code, but I am off to go check on it to see what it is, you peaked my interest. Just as a general statement, my old Scotch & Soda and the Pen through the Dollar still gets Great reactions to this day!

I am cheap b#$%^&* in general, but if a trick is really good, and you will get a lot of use out of it, i'm willing to spend the money for it. As an example, my 10+ year old Scotch & Soda set (just broke) was the best investment ever, as I used it so many times and it's blown so many minds.

Reactions: DominusDolorum

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Welcome to the forums.

That's a helluva shopping list you have there. For a starting point, I think most of your selections are good, albeit pretty scattered. On one hand, you have variety, on the other hand you may find yourself getting other tricks and rendering previous purchases obsolete.

Then again, I say this as someone who looks at a product and sits on it for a LOOOOONG time before I pull the trigger, as I don't have much of a magic budget.

Your mileage will vary either way.

The only product that I would suggest replacing immediately is the 'Pen Through Dollar'. If you REALLY want to use one of these in your repertoire, your search should start and immediately end at Tenyo Magic's 'Ultimate Shocking Pen'. It's your typical Pen-through-bill, except that the pen writes AND it's inspectable (if you are so inclined to have the audience inspect it. IT's nice to have that option in the back of your pocket).
It's going to be more expensive than most Pen-through-bill effects, but Tenyo Magic doesn't dink around with quality. And 'Ultimate Shocking Pen' is one of Tenyo's best practical effects in their entire inventory.

I've also looked into key-chain magic in the past and 'Ignition' seems neat, but I'd lean more towards 'Tag-O-Magic'. While it's not exactly key-through-bill. You have a torn-and-restored 'grocery club discount tag' that also has the workings for a card prediction on the back of the tag. Hell, why not get both and throw them on the same key ring?

Also, I live in Texas as well! Yay, another Texas member!

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
good DVD or book
There is a video by Jason England you can watch for free on the site called "What to Read". Jason suggests many excellent books to start laying your foundation. My favourite is The Royal Road to Card Magic and really, quite frankly, any book by Hugard and/or Braue. For general magic that has a bit of everything then Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is a tome for beginners and intermediates. I love these books.

I heard it comes with a Sharpie and I can guess what it is maybe? Not sure of course. HOW else would you use SMOKE as a trick, or as part of another trick? I assume (guessing as I don't
know how it's done) you can't TALK once you have smoke in your mouth??
I believe it's no secret how the effect is accomplished (from a magician's point of view) but how to use it properly is explained in the instructional video. You will find that with audience management and good showmanship it will be an amazing tool in your arsenal. I have used it on laypeople many times and it only happened once where someone came to me, in private, and said "I think I have an idea how it's done but it's AWESOME if it's what I think it is." He then picked up my sharpie and inspected it, but I had already switched it for a regular one and he was completely baffled. I wouldn't underestimate this at all. Just don't do what I did and perform it for a group that's sort of spread out in the room because the person I just mentioned was at the other end of the room (though some people at the other end still were killed by this).

Scotch & Soda and the Pen through the Dollar still gets Great reactions to this day!
I have a Pen-etration gimmick as well. It is a killer!
You have just inspired me to look into getting a Scotch and Soda set. I always wanted one back in the day since I first got my Hopping Halves set. Any recommendation on a good set?

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks so much Grant and Brett (thanks for a long reply, appreciate your time). OK, I still HAVE my original Pen through dollar and it's a Great One. It's grey with 5 black indebted lines/rings on the bottom 1/3 of the pen, just how the normal pen was designed. The cut is right across this indented ring so it looks perfect. It's getting worn looking BUT, works great and is very strong.

Brett, OK, You peaked my interest and having a 2nd New pen set sounded good, especially if it's a good one. Found one in the USA NIB for $15. It's the right one too, which I don't think they even make any more?

Dominos, OK My Old Scotch and Soda that finally broke, used the Half Dollar and Mexican Centavo, with the plastic Bang Ring. It finally broke but was really good.

After reading seceral reviews, I went with the Tango Magic Brand (good quality) and actually bought TWO. The new ones now offer the option to get magnetic, so they self-nest, and the majority of people say they are way better than the bang ring, and also easier to reset. I got TWO! The American Version, with common US coins (The new US one dollar gold coin and a Quarter). I also liked my first one that broke so much, I got Another, with the Half and Mexican Centavo, but this one is Magnetic. Can't wait to see how these work, but tricks like putting the 2 coins in a glass now Work themselves! The magic happens through scientific properties and doesn't reply on pressure.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@TexasFlyingWizard Welcome. It is the simple stuff that often is the most fun. A cheap pen through dollar, Scotch and Soda and Invisible Deck can easily astonish. Heck, I would put Coin Bite and Pen through Coin in that catagory too.

The Mirage Deck is really cool. Practice riffle shuffling it.

Loops are fun but take a while to get used to. Don't be disappointed if you go through 5 or more in the first day. My favorite effect with loops is the Haunted Deck. I think the description comes in the instructions.

As @Brett Hurley said, window shop first and buy later. Something that looks cool today might look cheesy in a week. Also, making a list helps because you can decide what you want most among a bunch of options.

If you guys saw my list of things I have bought as an individual you wouldn't believe it.

I've got you beat.

Reactions: TexasFlyingWizard

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
@TexasFlyingWizard Welcome. It is the simple stuff that often is the most fun. A cheap pen through dollar, Scotch and Soda and Invisible Deck can easily astonish. Heck, I would put Coin Bite and Pen through Coin in that catagory too.

The Mirage Deck is really cool. Practice riffle shuffling it.

Loops are fun but take a while to get used to. Don't be disappointed if you go through 5 or more in the first day. My favorite effect with loops is the Haunted Deck. I think the description comes in the instructions.

As @Brett Hurley said, window shop first and buy later. Something that looks cool today might look cheesy in a week. Also, making a list helps because you can decide what you want most among a bunch of options.

I've got you beat.
lol elite?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
lol elite?

If you aggregated what I've spent at various magic shops and magic related websites along with what I've spent at regular stores and Amazon for props, I'm probably an Elite at least 5 times. I have around 175 books, 7 years of Genii Magazine, 50 DVDs, 30 gaffed decks, 30 regular decks, 20 unopened custom decks, 10 decks of Jumbo Cards, 150 sponge balls (don't ask), 10 bins of miscellaneous props and 2 five foot wide shelves of props that don't fit elsewhere.

Jan 2, 2017
I bought a few tricks and they haven't arrived, BUT I received a download to the Reveal for Departure and Ignition. of course, I KNEW the general concept on how ignition worked, BUT, didn't know the actual gimmick or how it worked. It's cool!

Also, Departure is going to be pretty easy to do and it is going to Freak People out for sure. I LOVE this one!! After I see how a trick is done, it always makes me laugh. It's a laugh because I am in awe and love how cool and ingenious some of these tricks are, and I realize all the people that are going to freak out, especially Departure. It's a cool trick and I am confident I can perform this one well with just a little practice.

Magic is so cool ain't it? Remember, I'm from Texas, we ain't that smart. How do people think of all this stuff? Now these 2 tricks execution have both been around a long time for ring vanishes and penetration of money, etc., so it's not as mind blowing as some of the newer tricks that literally were just created. However, even though you learn know how the trick is done, and it seems pretty easy. I always remember that just like ME, not knowing at all how these tricks were done and being totally amazed and blown away, that is the same reaction that other People are going to experience when the trick is performed on them.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
If you aggregated what I've spent at various magic shops and magic related websites along with what I've spent at regular stores and Amazon for props, I'm probably an Elite at least 5 times. I have around 175 books, 7 years of Genii Magazine, 50 DVDs, 30 gaffed decks, 30 regular decks, 20 unopened custom decks, 10 decks of Jumbo Cards, 150 sponge balls (don't ask), 10 bins of miscellaneous props and 2 five foot wide shelves of props that don't fit elsewhere.
Dude I am a triple elite just on T11.

Jan 2, 2017
[QUOTE="TexasFlyingWizard, The only product that I would suggest replacing immediately is the 'Pen Through Dollar'. If you REALLY want to use one of these in your repertoire, your search should start and immediately end at Tenyo Magic's 'Ultimate Shocking Pen'. It's your typical Pen-through-bill, except that the pen writes AND it's inspectable (if you are so inclined to have the audience inspect it. IT's nice to have that option in the back of your pocket). Also, I live in Texas as well! Yay, another Texas member![/QUOTE]

I tried to edit my reply, but there is no button for it. I have no idea what I typed, but what I meant to say was that I went on eBay this morning after reading your post about the Tenyo Pen. Thanks to your suggestion, I went ahead and bought The Tenyo Magic 'Ultimate Shocking Pen' for $15 and it said it was New in the Box! The majority of the Pens I found all had Japanese writing and packaging and are actually made in Japan.

The Tenyo Magic Ultimate Shocking Pen I bought was also Made in Japan and was in the exact same packaging, but it was written in English (See Picture of what I bought Below). I am glad to have a 2nd, newer version of this pen so I can keep one in my car. My other one works like a champ still, but it is gray and it is looking a little worn down.

s-l1600.jpg

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
What's an Elite? Based on how much you spend on T11? My wife tells me I'm special, does that count for anything?
Yes. RealityOne thinks he owns more than me lol. He doesn't know my Dad was a collector/ movie horder. We have near 100,000 movies in our home.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results