Magic/Miracle: Crossing the line...

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
I want to let everyone know that a full demo will be up soon and then you should judge if the effect crosses the line. Personally I think the effect plays more like a theatrical piece than a shock piece, it's really quite beautiful and strangely peaceful to see performed. Judge for yourself I will keep you updated.
Shaun Dunn
www.papercraneproductions.net

Shaun, thanks for adding to the thread. I do love the effect and will try to be one of the firsts to get this into my routine. I have nothing bad to say about it at all.. honestly, wonderful effect.

This thread was more like, "Do you think we're playing with fire" type thing. Cheers & Kudos!

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
a full demo will be up soon and then you should judge if the effect crosses the line.

In my opinion, the effect itself can't cross the line. It's all about how the performer presents it... and to what audience. A wrist-slitting routine played for comedic value would be wicked cool in a goth club, pretty tasteless in a mainstream setting, and just plain wrong at a psychiatric facility.

L

Liam Carrie

The title of this thread is misleading because I don't think it's a bad thing to "cross the line" when it comes to blurring the line between magic and miracle. For example,

Stigmata - Wayne came up with a brilliant way to reveal anything on your arm. Performers know to be weary to perform for God-fearing people.

Control - Yet another brainchild of W:H. Slowing down and stopping your pulse.

Stigmata AD - tears of blood, along with another pulse stopping technique, and blood from the hand.

I'm sure there are more effects that borderline Magic and Miracle but these are the "now" ones.

I personally love effects like these. With the magic I perform, I go for shock value. A reaction is great, but a stone cold stare with a locked open jaw seems to say so much more but does anyone think its crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed?

On a (not so) similar note, Jim Caveizel (sp) plays Jesus (same initials by the way) in The Passion of the Christ. Jim was the same age (while playing Jesus) as Jesus was when he was crucified. Also, Jim was struck by lightning while filming part of the crucifixion scene. Coincidence or warning?

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make: Are we crossing a line or should it be fine for us to toy with 'replicating' what numerous religions fear? Even if we say it's magic/an illusion, is it right? Is it wrong? Is it ok?

I'm not THAT religious in any way but this is more of an ethical question.

i love bizzare effects, You can cross the line its all about who you want to be as a magician. No One can tell you who you should be. Where could you learn
Stigmata AD?

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
Love Stigmata. So far loving Control. Stigmata A.D. in my opinion crosses the line. That's just too much. I mean seriously, you could scar people for life after seeing that. Having the name of a card showing up on your arm is one thing, but tears of blood and a bleeding palm is just too much.

Anthony Bass

Don't mind me sounding like a dumb***. But was exactly is Stigmata A.D.?

I know what Stigmata is, but is there a difference between and and Stigmata A.D.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results