Magic on the Offbeat: Genius!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
First off, I love to perform. It is SO much fun! My best friend, Blake, and his girlfriend Hillarie (along with my girl, Caitlin) are kind of like my test subjects lol. Hillarie LOVES to see magic! It doesn't matter where or when; if I pull a pack of cards out of my pocket she wants to see magic! Blake always likes to see new stuff BUT, since he has seen probably all of my tricks, he doesn't ever "freak out" anymore. He thinks they are cool and he always tells me his honest opinion on them and if he likes them or if he saw anything he wasn't supposed to etc.

Anyhow, Blake, Hillarie, Caitlin and I all went out bowling last night and decided to go to Skillets and grab some food. It was a great night we were having fun, and I hadn't done any magic. The guy waiting on us was Leslie. We have had him before and it is always hilarious because he is kind of strange and off the walls. I was waiting on my check and was fiddling with my credit card in my hand and he literally stared at it until he commented that I was "fingering my card rather fondly." He walked off and we all burst into laughter.

Blake and I started coming up with ways to mess with Leslie. We were dying laughing and I said Blake what if I did a magic trick?! He bust out laughing and said that would be hilarious and he wanted to see what Leslie would do. I said ok here is what I will do... (I actually showed this to Blake, I didn't just describe it)

I pulled out a quarter and said that I would ask Leslie if it would be enough to pay him with. They all laughed at this and I said that when he said no I would act upset and say fine I'll just make it disappear. Again they laughed. I grabbed a salt shaker and wrapped a napkin around it. Yep, I did the old vanishing salt shaker trick.

Like I said, Blake doesn't usually freak out any more but I swear, his eyes were about to pop out of his head and he was almost jumping out of his seat. He was basically stuttering things like "what..how...its gone...you....wait.....THE HECK?!"

Wow it was awesome!

Oh yeah, then I did it for Leslie. He stared at where the salt shaker had vanished. I acted surprised like that wasn't supposed to happen and apologized for his salt shaker disappearing. He literally just stared for about 30 seconds and then just walked off. It was HILARIOUS!

Well, sorry for the long story. Just to sum it up, I basically learned two things:

1.) Magic on the offbeat KILLS!
2.) Don't underestimate the classics!

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed the story!

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Great story man. I too do the salt shaker trick. I was in a some what dark sports bar and was having some fun with my friends using my D'lites and the waiter walked by and said "What the f**k!" He then apoligized for his languge and walked away confussed in what he saw. We all luaghed (not at him) well OK may be alittle. What good times.

May 10, 2010
I especially enjoyed how Oz Pearlman taught the performance of Perfection, which was performing it in the offbeat. I have to agree with you, the offbeat is the perfect moment to stun your audience. If done right, everything you choose to perform, whether it's easy as pie or difficult as hell, will hit the audience harder than you will ever imagine. My desired offbeat comes near the end of my overall performance, so I can go into my closer which supposedly leaves the most lasting impression. This is where tricks like Perfection by Oz or Control by Wayne Houchin will come in. Though they are strong by default, the offbeat makes the tricks even stronger, etching a lasting memory of astonishment and amazement.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Nice story Rob! I love reading performance stories. Always puts a smile on my face when I know someone else has fun doing what they love. Magic on the offbeat is sometimes the best, because it's unexpected and has that surprise factor. They don't see it coming and catches them completely off guard. I love doing offbeat magic and it's fun seeing everyone's reactions. Keep up the great work Rob. :)

-Casey

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks Casey and everyone else for the comments! Man seriously, the reaction I got caught ME off guard! I had no clue the salt shaker trick would get a reaction like that! I was just joking around having a good time, I figured that he would know how its done or it wouldn't be that amazing to him but WOW! Seeing his reaction surprised the heck outa me!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Thanks Casey and everyone else for the comments! Man seriously, the reaction I got caught ME off guard! I had no clue the salt shaker trick would get a reaction like that! I was just joking around having a good time, I figured that he would know how its done or it wouldn't be that amazing to him but WOW! Seeing his reaction surprised the heck outa me!

Never underestimate your classic magic effects! Most of the time, simple is always better; easy to understand and comprehend to your spectators. Plus, you can focus more on your presentation than the actual sleights you use for it.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Hmmm Salt Shaker, really? I never fool anyone with that trick... Not because I don't do it well. They tell me themselves, "Oh I've seen this before..." And you can't really fool them with the salt shaker thing, if they have seen it before... And everyone I try to do it on, has seen it before...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results