Magic Shops in Rhode Island and Boston

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Hey guys,
I am going to going to Rhode Island, Providence for a 6 week summer program.
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any magic shop around the general area?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
Hey guys,
I am going to going to Rhode Island, Province for a 6 week summer program.
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any magic shop around the general area?
Thanks

I can't tell you about magic shops, but I can offer one piece of advice. Here in the States we call them states, not provinces.

Also, you could google, "magc shops rhode island." You could also find members here that live in the area and send them a PM.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
no.
the area in Rhode Island is actually called Providence haha.
its a small townish area where Brown and RISD is.

Last edited by a moderator:

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
I used to live in the Boston area, and whenever I'm back in town (every couple years or so), I like to drop by Hank Lee's Magic Factory. Last time I was in town, I believe their storefront was on South Street near downtown.

Ahhh, just checked their website http://hanklee.com, and clicked on "Store Hours" to discover that they've moved to North Street in Medford (just north of Boston). It would also appear that they've cut their store hours from those of a normal shop to 1pm to 6pm, Wednesday through Saturday.

Still, a visit might be worthwhile for you. Last time I visited (about two years ago, I think), the fellow there showed me these cool cards called the "Ghost Deck", and that was the first I'd ever heard of Ellusionist, which in turn led to Theory11, etc. Who knows what you might learn while you're there?

(BTW, I don't think they carry E or T11; it was the guy's personal deck. But, the folks I've talked to there are knowledgable, working on their craft, etc.)

Oct 14, 2008
sciffydof, you posted this same exact thread back in february, anyways, as far as Diamond being an "awesome" owner of an "awesome" shop, I couldn't disagree more. That guy will try to get you to buy everything in his shop and he doesn't know how to respect the fact that you don't. I've ordered from him online as well, and he KNOWINGLY sent me the wrong idem and even admitted that he knew it was the wrong idem and then said he didn't have what I ordered in stock so he said that what he sent was "close enough". Well, it was NOT what I wanted, I ordered a boom writer and he sent me a TT writer that didn't even fit. He is very unproffesional and he tried to get me to buy some things in his shop that I wouldn't even think of using, and despite the fact that I told him that, he kept insisting anyway! Annoying doesn't even begin to describe it. STAY AWAY!!

Aug 31, 2007
I live in Warwick, Rhode Island. It's only about 15 minutes from Providence. There really aren't many magic shops in Rhode Island. There are a couple in Mass. but most are a good hour away or more. Hope that helps.

Matt Mello

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ah. I miss Providence. But I don't recall anything even close to a magic shop there.

A google search tells me that there's a place called, "Magic Shop - Magic Tricks" in Newport on Thames street. Newport's about 35-35 minutes south of Providence, though.

Interestingly, I went to CCRI in Warwick for a bit, Mr. Mello.

Aug 31, 2007
If I remember correctly, the last time I went to the one in Newport it was more of a joke shop then a magic shop.

I think there might be a Brick and Mortar magic shop in Mass. and there is definitely a Hank Lee's somewhere up there. I would suggest checking those out if you have the time to travel there.

Nice, I'm going to CCRI next semester to get my gen eds done, then hopefully transferring to URI to study pharmacology. Should be fun!

Matt Mello

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Such a small world. I was doing the program at CCRI that preps you to go into the Comp. Sci. program at URI.

Have you ever made it up to Bright Night in Providence? I definitely saw people busking there when I did a show (not magic, circus) a couple years back. Since I got into magic I've wanted to go back for the Riverfire stuff, too, to perform there.

Aug 31, 2007
Such a small world. I was doing the program at CCRI that preps you to go into the Comp. Sci. program at URI.

Have you ever made it up to Bright Night in Providence? I definitely saw people busking there when I did a show (not magic, circus) a couple years back. Since I got into magic I've wanted to go back for the Riverfire stuff, too, to perform there.

Definitely a small world.

No I haven't been to Bright Night, but I used to perform on Federal Hill in Providence in different restaurants up there.

I think you mean Waterfire ;).

Matt Mello

as far as Diamond being an "awesome" owner of an "awesome" shop, I couldn't disagree more. That guy will try to get you to buy everything in his shop and he doesn't know how to respect the fact that you don't. I've ordered from him online as well, and he KNOWINGLY sent me the wrong idem and even admitted that he knew it was the wrong idem and then said he didn't have what I ordered in stock so he said that what he sent was "close enough". Well, it was NOT what I wanted, I ordered a boom writer and he sent me a TT writer that didn't even fit. He is very unproffesional and he tried to get me to buy some things in his shop that I wouldn't even think of using, and despite the fact that I told him that, he kept insisting anyway! Annoying doesn't even begin to describe it. STAY AWAY!!

I'm really sorry to hear this. I have had nothing but great experiences with both Eddie and Diamond's Magic in general, but I can understand your frustration.

I love supporting brick and mortar shops as much as possible, so it pains me to hear of a local one losing a customer over such a simple matter.

I hope this doesn't turn people off from this or other local shops forever...

Pj

Sep 25, 2008
There used to be one off route 20.....

I stumbled across a magic shop somewhere between Worcester and Springfield, right off route 20. Probably Wilmington area, but I don't recall. I believe the name made it sound like more of a joke shop, but it was both.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results