Magic Videos

Jul 2, 2008
Hm... previous t11 threads have told me not to be a complete A-hole about videos. Let me first start.

If you can't do a colour change, don't post a video of it. What was that first one? Was it supposed to be a 'twirl' change? (from the in lieu of through the fist change) I mean...it looked, well, watch it!

Second- what was the point of the video? There was no beginning, no end... no climax or finale. Just..two colour changes, one used twice.

Tips: Practice your erdnase- dont put your ENTIRE palm over the deck.
- Make a routine that goes somewhere... I sat through with a blank face- the end was no more impressive than the beginning.
- Get your twirl change down pat. None of that, wave it high up so they can't see it.
- Have a finale!

PS: This video was referring to your colour CHANGE video, I couldn't stop myself from posting right after I watched it.

Mar 12, 2008
Alright, fair enough. Ill think about and work on what you said.
I just want to note that, while a magician might find a series of color changes boring, the trick is intended for laymen. And when an average person sees a card change, multiple times, they are amazed.
Also bear in mind that the "Twirl Change" (I have no idea what its actually called) looked kinda crappy because my hand got way too close to the camera. That was my error, but just wanted to let you guys know that it looks way better in person.
Thanks for the criticism anyway.

Any feedback is more than welcome, so please keep commenting.

Sep 9, 2007
Also bear in mind that the "Twirl Change" (I have no idea what its actually called) looked kinda crappy because my hand got way too close to the camera. That was my error, but just wanted to let you guys know that it looks way better in person.

I haven't watched these, but this is sort of a strange reply by the poster of the video.

I mean, if you have a camera, wouldn't you do multiple takes and post the best one?

Or reshoot it until it comes out how it should?

I'm just sayin.....

Mar 12, 2008
Because I thought that was as good as it was going too get on camera.
Also, It doesn't look too bad, does it? I mean, a layman would buy it, right?
P.S. Go ahead and watch them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2007
Also, It doesn't look too bad, does it? I mean, a layman would buy it, right?
P.S. Go ahead and watch them.

Ok, I'm still not going to watch them, but now it's sheerly out of principle.

I mean, if you mess up a live performance, meh...it happens sometimes, that's life...there could have been variables out of your control.

but when you have COMPLETE CONTROL of the camera angles, have the option to reshoot until it looks flawless and can basically give us your best, and instead choose to give what even you admit could be better, there really is no legitimate excuse. That is definately the wrong kind of attitude to have.

Especially when you're asking for feedback, get it and then essentially minimalize it....

the question begs to be asked...what's the point?

Sep 1, 2007
Thoughts as they occur to me.

Minus points for a crotch shot.
Adequately lit at least.
Same generic shaking and snapping I see in everyone's videos. Feels mechanical.

Another crotch shot. God I hate those.
Same generic motions and pacing that everyone on earth uses.

Night of the Living Crotch Shots
Were you trying to assault your camera?
On the positive side it looks like you had enough sense not to use auto-focus on the camera.
Why on earth did you go with a final copy where the breaks were visible and obvious?
Generic gestures abound.

I just want to note that, while a magician might find a series of color changes boring, the trick is intended for laymen. And when an average person sees a card change, multiple times, they are amazed.

There are times when I find the opposite to be true.

A series of color changes can be entertaining... if done correctly. This wasn't. It looked more like a series of pitch videos put in a DVD player at a brick-and-mortar magic shop than an actual performance.

That was my error, but just wanted to let you guys know that it looks way better in person.

Which is a bit like a band recording a song and mixing it badly, then saying, "Well it will sound better when we play it live."

No.

First, wrong website for crotch shots dude, there are plenty of other websites that pay you for videos of your junk, this is not one of them. And second, in your color change video, I second exactly what Steer said, and also what Reuben said, the Erdnase (Or whatever it's called) doesn't require your fingers to be closed, and it doesn't require your entire palm over the deck like that, it made the change look very sloppy and unnatural, the rest of the color changes just sucked in my opinion. the other two videos were just boring to me, there was nothing special to them, they looked like every other magic video out there.

Other than all that, good job! :)

Mar 12, 2008
Minus points for a crotch shot.
Im pretty sure you're supposed to be watching the CARDS.

Adequately lit at least.
Same generic shaking and snapping I see in everyone's videos. Feels mechanical.
Ill Work on it.

Another crotch shot.
Seriously? Its THAT big a deal?

Night of the Living Crotch Shots
Oh Dear god.

Why on earth did you go with a final copy where the breaks were visible and obvious?
If the video was perfect, then I wouldn't need people to review it, would I?

A series of color changes can be entertaining... if done correctly. This wasn't. It looked more like a series of pitch videos put in a DVD player at a brick-and-mortar magic shop than an actual performance.
Aww... your just saying that to make me feel better. Seriously, My first vids and this is the response I get?

First, wrong website for crotch shots dude, there are plenty of other websites that pay you for videos of your junk, this is not one of them.
"...."

did you not post up these videos asking for critique? If you want things sugar coated, go to your mom, when you are ready to hear the truth, show us your vids, we are not here to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

And I think I will leave it to Steer to explain why people having to look at your crotch is a bad thing (You know, Most people would avoid having other people look down there...) as it is always funny watching him explain (especially if he makes his RDChopper joke again...)

Sep 1, 2007
Im pretty sure you're supposed to be watching the CARDS.

Yes, but I don't want to see your package as a backdrop. It's distracting.

Seriously? Its THAT big a deal?

Yes! Magic is about the human element. Humans are more than their hands and pelvic regions in a narrow frame. I want to see a name and a face attached to the things I'm watching. It also further divorces the demoed effects from the performer and adds to a feeling of generic homogeneity.

Lamont McGee may have produced some terrible videos and talking with him can be like pulling teeth, but at least he had the sense to start using medium shots with live audiences.

On top of that, it's just aesthetically unpleasing. As a young heterosexual man, the last thing I want to see is a 16-year-old boy's Teenage Wasteland for several minutes when I'm supposed to be watching magic. It sits there behind the cards the whole time... taunting me.

If the video was perfect, then I wouldn't need people to review it, would I?

Then you either have an odd definition of perfection or you set the bar very low for yourself.

Aww... your just saying that to make me feel better. Seriously, My first vids and this is the response I get?

I'm a self-appointed critic, so I criticize. I don't pull my punches and I don't believe in the Culture of Nice. I tell you the truth.

Yes, but I don't want to see your package as a backdrop. It's distracting.

Yes! Magic is about the human element. Humans are more than their hands and pelvic regions in a narrow frame. I want to see a name and a face attached to the things I'm watching. It also further divorces the demoed effects from the performer and adds to a feeling of generic homogeneity.

Lamont McGee may have produced some terrible videos and talking with him can be like pulling teeth, but at least he had the sense to start using medium shots with live audiences.

On top of that, it's just aesthetically unpleasing. As a young heterosexual man, the last thing I want to see is a 16-year-old boy's Teenage Wasteland for several minutes when I'm supposed to be watching magic. It sits there behind the cards the whole time... taunting me.

See? Told you he could explain it in a more funny way then I could.

Mar 12, 2008
I'm a self-appointed critic, so I criticize.
Its one thing to criticize, its another to bash out the things that are wrong.

For example, this:

Could Instead be something like this:
I think your color changes could use a little work. Your breaks are kinda obvious, and maybe try to use different changes, instead of repeating them a couple of times. Your hand got too close too the camera when you did the first change, so it was hard to see it properly. Otherwise, was pretty good.

This way, you not only let me know that my video sucked, but also tell me how to improve. Forums are to support and help others, not strike them down.
I don't want this to become a flame war, so if a mod could close the thread, that would be great.
Ill work on the tricks, then come back and try again. Hopefully ill get a better response.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't want this to become a flame war, so if a mod could close the thread, that would be great.

There's no flame war to be had here. Don't be disingenuous. You're receiving the criticism you asked for. Take it like an adult.

This way, you not only let me know that my video sucked, but also tell me how to improve. Forums are to support and help others, not strike them down.

Are you trying to suggest that my advice, knowledge, and critiques are rendered invalid because I wasn't nice enough? Must be as you want the thread closed to protect yourself.

Kid, realize that I'm doing you a favor. I'm not here to coddle, I only stick around to help people improve. And I do so by being blunt and telling the truth. That is not bashing as I explained my reasoning. Bashing would be nothing but attacks and nastiness with no attempt at logic or rationality.

Have you ever received any criticism in your life? What you described barely felt like criticism at all because it was too bloody timid and polite to make any impression. You wouldn't take advice from a person like that because they were so damn nice to you that you wouldn't feel any need to improve in the slightest and you'd just coast off of the good feeling you got.

I am a critic of the savage variety. You can either learn to listen to what people like me have to say and stop taking things so god damn personally, or you can disregard me as being too mean and cut yourself off from the most honest feedback you're going to get. Your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2007
so let me get this straight.

a guy admits to doing a half a**ed job at filming some videos and expects people to take the videos (and him, for that matter) seriously. Then he gives attitude back when people call him on it.

wow.

Seriously bud, if you want respect, you need to give and earn it. By showing that you don't have the pride in your own skill to do things properly, and by being rude to other people who you asked to critique them, you really shouldn't be expecting any.

When you put some effort into filming these properly, I'll put some effort into watching and critiquing them.

Mar 12, 2008
All Im saying is that, while some people respond to the 'tough love', others respond to kind words.

Look, I know that you are trying to help, and I thank you for that.
I will reread and think about all that has been said here, and come back in a couple months when my videos have been improved.

Sep 1, 2007
All Im saying is that, while some people respond to the 'tough love', others respond to kind words.

My experience has been that kind words are often as effective as a Nerf gun in a cage fight. When you're too nice to people, you're not giving them incentive to improve.

So I tell the truth without all the frilly dressings.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results