Magician-fooling Magic Trick- For Real

Dec 7, 2012
Canada
Hello all !!! :)

Here is a Magician-fooling card trick that I want to show you. Perhaps, you already came across this one on Youtube, maybe not, but here it is !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r10zr1OZk8 !!!

Bear in mind, I'm not exposing magic, because this trick is not published, or being sold. It is just a trick Andy came up with (His own trick), and decided to share with us, and from there I wanted to share it with you guys, because I found it amazing. The creator of this trick decided to give it away as a freebie, so there is nothing wrong if I pass on his "free" idea to you guys. Fair enough.

Both the performance, and tut are in the video !!!

The trick uses a key-card which all magicians are exposed to, HOWEVER the key-card is used in a very special way, and that makes it near-impossible for a magician to figure out the method, and impossible for a layman to figure out the method !!! > :D

P.S. Don't underestimate the power of this trick. I'm a magician, and it very well fooled me !!!
I used it on fellow magicians, and it very well fooled them !!!
So why don't you guys give it a shot, and post up your reactions/reviews afterwards. Also don't only use it on magicians, use it on your spectators as well, make this night special for them :)

P.S. I'm not really sure if I posted my thread in the right section. If I didn't, sorry :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 7, 2012
Canada
Perhaps, you're right :)

But I'm not exposing magic in an illegal way, am I? The idea was given away as a freebie, it's not being sold or anything, so I can share it. Well at least that's what I think.

You have to agree it's a magician-fooler. The key-card idea is used in a very clever way. Don't ya think?

Glad you enjoyed it anyways !!! :D

P.S. Do you guys know any other magician-fooling card tricks. I know this one, and the One-way principle. Besides those two, I don't know any others.

Unfortunately, good intentions or not, this video does explain how the trick is done and because of that I -think- violates the forums rules about disclosing magic secrets. I'd call a mod to come over here and take a look just to be sure but I think this counts as exposure.

As for the trick gosh I hate to be a wet blanket but I would question how long they've been in magic if the "magician" was fooled by a peek and a double lift. The reveal is weak, there is no plot or reason to emotionally get involved with the performance, the performance itself is in look-see-do format, and outside of the guys accent there really isn't anything going on to draw me into the effect. It's a card trick but it isn't magic. It isn't very entertaining. It's just a typical example of the banal filth that flows from the gutters that is youtube.

HOWEVER!!!! There IS a silver lining in this. It got you interested in magic! It got your attention, and more so it brought you (ultimately) to this website here. This forum is FULL of real magicians. Working pros and very (and I stress that word) VERY talented young artists who can and will help you grow as an entertainer.

It's great to learn to do card 'TRICKS' to get started. Everyone starts somewhere. A musician doesn't just pick up a guitar and start rocking out their own monster ballads. No they start off on technique, theory, and learning to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Only after lots of practice and dedication do they start to learn how to play other peoples material, and then somewhere while they're doing that they find their own voice, and they begin to create from their own soul. Being a magician is no different.

Right now the best thing for you to do is learn as many different kinds of tricks you can, and use them in front of real audiences. By doing this you're going to learn two important things. You're going to learn what styles of magic work for you, and what you can or can't get away with doing.

While you are learning, and performing, I want you to ask yourself: "Is this entertaining?" Don't just show someone a trick. Make it magical! Give them an experience they won't forget. Give them something that is a WOW moment. Remember the magic is what happens in their heads, the method is what happens in your hands.

There's a LOT of theory out there that I could cram into this post but I would rather start you out right, than over load you with a bunch of information you could't possibly digest. Just remember to keep an open mind, be willing to accept that there's a lot of information out there that you don't know, and be willing to learn from others who give you solid critique.

As for learning some good magic tricks, might I make a recommendation: Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, OR The Royal Road to Card Magic. Both are valued resources for learning new material when you're starting out and hell... even if you've been at it a bit too! I still go back to those books (or DVD's of Royal Road if you prefer) to reference something when I'm working on new material.

good luck!

Dec 7, 2012
Canada
I'm fairly new to magic, and this forum. I don't know all of the rules, and I'm sorry for that, HOWEVER I have one thing to say. I don't find this violation, because Andy himself revealed this trick for "free". He could've published it or sold it, but he didn't. He gave it away for "free". Understanding the point. If it were sold, and then I revealed it for "free" then it would be violation. But as it is already "free", and I'm revealing a "free" effect for "free", then I don't find it violation at all. In fact, I'm not revealing it, Andy is.

To be sure, I request a Mod to take a look over, and post your concerns.

Thanks !!! :)

P.S. William thanks for your honest review. I appreciate your honesty. I'm sure we wouldn't find such great advice and honesty at SoMF or LMT. I'm proud to be a member of Theory11 !!! :D

William, I have Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, but I didn't read it over yet, I'll give it some consideration now. Thanks anyways !!!

According to the forum rules on Exposure:
"On EXPOSURE:
Teaching of ALL effects and/or sleights, moves, etc. is not permitted."

So I don't think it matters if it's his trick or not. Posting links to a tutorial is against the forums policy. -HOWEVER- I am not a mod. So there's not really anything I can do about this. I'm just giving you a heads up so you know for the future. Here's a link to the forum rules. You may want to take a glance at these at some point, just so you can say you read them. http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?15-theory11-Official-Forum-Rules

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Also, this is not an original effect by any stretch of the word. This is a poorly organized version of a very simply key card variation, that has been published many times.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Andy himself revealed this trick for "free". He could've published it or sold it, but he didn't. He gave it away for "free". Understanding the point. If it were sold, and then I revealed it for "free" then it would be violation. But as it is already "free", and I'm revealing a "free" effect for "free", then I don't find it violation at all.

OK, let's get some stuff clear. This isn't anything original. In just a quick search, I found use of the distant / floating key card published as far back as 1937 - The Card and Number in Jean Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. There also is a similar effect published in 1938 called Your Number - Your Card in Greater Magic (credited to Paul Rossini) which is presented in Card College Volume 1. There are only minor differences between those effects and the one performed in the video.

Further, that trick won't fool anyone but a YouTube magician. If you want to fool a real magician you have to go further and do stuff like what John Bannon does in his book Dear Mr. Fantasy using Dave Solomon and Steve Draun's S-D Location (which involves the use of a remote key card).

I'm going to say this as respectfully as possible. If you want to be a real magician, stop learning from YouTube. Now.

First off, the quality of the teaching is awful. Second, the material taught is basic or someone else's material. Third, if someone is putting up tutorials of effects for th public to see, it is exposure. How would you like your spectator to be able to find out how you did something by searching YouTube?

This Andy guy... Does he actually give away decks to get people to watch him? That sounds desperate to me. I've never had to bribe people to watch me perform. I guess having a bunch of noobs watch his crappy tricks makes him feel important.

So, can you get an idea of how I feel about YouTube?

Listen to Draven. Read Mark Wilson's book. It is one of the best books I have (and that is saying something, considering that I have a magic book buying addiction). Then get Royal Road to Card Magic and Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. You will thank me.

Oct 9, 2012
Didn't Ekatarina start her cardistry on Youtube?

I fully understand the stance you guys take on it, but I do fell you are a little harsh sometimes. There's certainly no lack of junk there, but there are also some reasonably interesting people doing some cool things. Now Facebook, that's an evil site right there.

-Speaking mostly for entertainment, not so much for learning, in that aspect I fully agree.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
When I was a kid and first getting into magic, I remember a certain cardinal rule that was repeated over and over and over again; IT'S A SECRET KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! Exposing or sharing methods, and even within the fellowship at times, hurts magic. You might want to say that it's "your effect" or whatever and believe you have the "right" to expose/share it on Youtube or some such, BUT YOU DON'T IF you are to take the golden rule of magic and being a magician, serious.

Youtube does provide a great advantage to us when it comes to being able to see the history of the craft and even, to some level, being able to study some of today's top technicians. What hurts . . . the down side of such outlets, is the abundance of egos that can't wait to show off ill-prepared material materials as well as those that only know how to "perform" for cameras vs. real people. If you call yourself a magician or even a magic enthusiast (hobbyist) you HAVE TO perform for living-breathing people, it's the only way you will ever know that you are as good as you fantasize yourself to be.

Sharing material in a closed forum and channel is not the same as giving the general public access to it.

Dec 7, 2012
Canada
Ok I'll stop learning from Youtube, and I'll read more books !!! :D

I wasn't fully aware of the rules of this forum, and I apologize for that.
And besides Mark Wilson's CCIM what other books are good?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Ok I'll stop learning from Youtube, and I'll read more books !!! :D

I wasn't fully aware of the rules of this forum, and I apologize for that.
And besides Mark Wilson's CCIM what other books are good?

Alright then.... Welcome to real magic! If you are starting off, Mark Wilson's book gives you a great introduction into all different types of magic. If you are interested in cards, get Royal Road to Card Magic (to learn the basic sleights) and Encyclopedia of Card Tricks or Scarne on Card Tricks (both have simple and self-working effects). From there go to Expert Card Technique. Alternatively, get Card College Volumes 1 and 2 and Card College Light (self working routines). The Card College Books are more expensive, but are worth it. Lybrary.com has an electronic version of Card College that has performance videos (or you can get the books and then just buy the performance videos). Although there is a Card College DVD, I would try learning from the books alone at first. It is easy once you get the hang of it.

If you are interested in other areas of magic, let us know and we can recommend the appropriate books.

Honestly, and while RealityOne is dead on I would just focus your attention on Mark Wilson's to start with. If you really are new it'd be a good way to not only get exposed to a variety of tricks, and a variety of skill levels, but it will also test you on how committed you are to learning magic.

We can chuck suggestions at you all day for books you need to read. To that list I could add another four or five from Webber, Tarbell, and Ortiz, but right now I need to see how dedicated to the craft you're going to be. To be a REAL magician it takes investments of all kinds. Time, patience, and money. If you go out and get all these books at once but don't actually put the time in to study them then you're no better off than you were without the books. Mark Wilson's which you currently own, if done right, should take you at LEAST a good six months to get through all that material. -that is assuming you aren't trying to build and perform all the stuff in the stage magic section in the back.

@Arucard: Youtube, as Craig has hinted at, serves a purpose for being a good outlet for observing other masters work. Which is something we as magicians ALL need to spend more time doing. Watching others work. But that's about all that website is good for. You are never going to find decent teaching material on that site. Most magic done for Youtube, and not say filmed from a live show and posted on there, sucks. No presentation skills, crotch or chest shots, no character, no emotional attachment, no hooks to draw you in. It's always just some kid showing off something they got in the mail five minutes earlier. The worst part is that people see this crappy presentation style and say to themselves: "Oh I can do that!" And then they run out and post more of the same crap because they are being inspired by, they are copying crap to begin with.

Feb 4, 2008
Funny, but somehow I knew just by reading the title of this thread that this wouldn't fool magicians. But then....never underestimate hubris!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results