Magician's rights? Copyrights?

Have you ever seen any stuff about it? I want to know more about it.

I really want to sue ... for letting people expose magic tricks and sometimes the whole dvd of magic tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Have you ever seen any stuff about it? I want to know more about it.

I really want to sue ... for letting people expose magic tricks and sometimes the whole dvd of magic tricks.

Wow, you have no idea how much I'm laughing at what you just said. You want to sue them for material that is none of your own? Also, you can't do anything about it because it is not illegal; if you own a dvd you can show it to anyone you please. And if you don't want magic to be exposed freely, why would you advertise it on a community full of thousands of newbies wanting some free magic? What do you expect us members can say to fix it? Just chill, it's not like they're illegally spreading magic online to laymen. Also, this place needs a membership, so they're PAYING for it in a sense. Btw, how would you know this place is exposing magic? I'm guessing you watch these DVDS there.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com

I am not a lawyer. I have, however, been sued for copyright infringement four times... so I know something about IP law.

You can't sue, because LMT.org isn't damaging you. The other people - the creators of the tricks they expose - need to do it. You could, of course, try to organise a class action suit unifying the authors of the tricks... but that's unlikely.

Copyright is pretty limited. If I say "I use this move and that move to do a trick" on a DVD, that's copyrighted, and protected. But in order to get any kind of injunction against someone else for saying that, I have to submit my statement to the public record - where a great many more people will see it. Indeed, by even threatening legal action, I'm confirming that their exposure is correct.

Furthermore, copyright is extremely limited. If someone else says "I use this move first and then that move to do a trick", those two additional words may be sufficient to avoid a finding of copyright infringement. Only a judge can say, and it costs something on the order of a quarter million dollars to get an IP case in front of a judge. Not to mention it will be several years before it gets there.

There's always the option of patent, but you can't even get a patent until you submit your invention to the public record, and then you have the same problem... except that now, if you threaten legal action, the exposure site can just say "we can't explain this effect because of patent XYZ" where XYZ is a link to the text of the patent itself on the PTO website.

Trademark law comes into play a little bit. You can legitimately demand that people not refer to the trick they expose as "Bob Smith's Way Cool Trick", provided you've trademarked "Way Cool Trick". But that doesn't actually stop them from exposing the trick; only from calling it by the same name you use.

The cure's pretty much worse than the disease, in this case. Doing nothing is actually the least harmful thing we can accomplish.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results