Make a YouTube tutorial!

Mar 29, 2008
Can you explain what you mean by the Lay people that don't tend to matter?

I can't really see anybody older than 12 watching that and going "Man, that guy is a genius. I.. I am in tears.

Isn't this the point people are trying to make? It is hard enough to overcome the cliche of rabbit in a hat, and magic props...but videos like this don't add to the respect of the craft? So again, who is the video for? Who does it benefit?

Sure, not everyone remembered or cared about the exposure - but I bet many magicians did shows that year that had a handful of people "know" because of the show. I mean, is our goal to fool and entertain most, or all? If it is most...then, it doesn't matter if a few know the secret - but how difficult was it for some that bought exposed tricks to make a living, or even fool people all the time when that show came out? I gave "that guy" a moment he wouldn't have had - you know "that guy", the one that saw the show, but ruins it for the entire audience by blurting out that he "knows it", because he "saw it on TV".

I wouldn't say it "hurt" me personally, but I have talked to guys that have had shows or moments in their show ruined because they didn't get rid of those effects during the series.

I do think there is a middle ground - but not caring is as bad as caring too much. I think it is an issue, one we could probably lessen...but I don't think it neccessary to stop completely. More self policing might be the key.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I mean the people who spend all their time trying to look up stuff like that on youtube, don't matter. Most of the people on youtube give really forgettable performances.

It's possible to perform those old effects and still entertain and fool people if you dress them up differently than what people are used to seeing. I am sure there are people out there who still make a good living by doing things like the zig zag illusion or the sawing a lady in half.

I do think that it's really something that can hurt you if let it. But if you want to perform old effects that were exposed, then just dress them up in a completely different way and use different sleights to pull them off.

Mar 29, 2008
I have heard this advice before, and it is true - but how many really can do something that different with it? Also, are you saying the plot makes people forget they learnt the method? I never really understood what people were trying to convey with "dress it up". Can you give an example? Thanks.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
Realistically, the people looking up these vids actually want to learn magic so they can perform it. The problem is exposing specific tricks that magicians have come up with and are selling. Its more or less stealing and is the only real problem I see with internet exposure worth worrying about.

The idea that there are people feverishly seeking out magic exposure vids just so us evil trickster wizards can't pull one over on them is a little far fetched. The kind of person that would do that would have to be extremely paranoid and magicians actually spending time worrying about those types of people may not be all that different. Thats like someone looking up movie spoilers because they don't want to look surprised in the movie theater. If someone ever calls you out on something just ask "so do you look up the punchlines for jokes so you'll never have to laugh too?". Whats more, if they are spending all their free time on the internet looking this stuff up what are the odds that you will actually run into them out in the real world where theres sunshine and other human beings to interact with. The rare, paranoid kind of person that would do this isn't worth your worry nor a demonstration of the talent you've worked so hard to attain.

Nov 8, 2007
I'm serious about the title. So many people make youtoube tutorials and post them, and it drives me crazy as I'm sure it drives you crazy as well. To put a stop to people watching and making these we should start making fake tutorials for youtube. For Example. Someone sees a video entitled "Criss Angel Magic Trick Revealed!" They click the video to see a revealation and then they watch it, and they see something that sounds like it's going to reveal something and then big words come up and say" Stop Watching tutorials" Or we could present a method that is so crazy, and outlandish that they would it wasn't true.

...or you could spend your time working on your magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results