Make a YouTube tutorial!

May 9, 2008
Making anti-exposure videos are probably worse for the art than making exposure videos....you're just making people more curious and more likely to look into exposure when you make exposure taboo to laymen. I'll be the Anti-Nike here...Just don't do it.

Mar 2, 2008
Making anti-exposure videos are probably worse for the art than making exposure videos....you're just making people more curious and more likely to look into exposure when you make exposure taboo to laymen. I'll be the Anti-Nike here...Just don't do it.

yea now i think about it, it wont be worth scaring people with flash screamers in videos. Then when you look at realted videos there might be real spoilers. Good point.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Randy, you're a dick, you know that? Grow the hell up man.

As for the OP, I don't see much point in doing this at all. It wouldn't do anything to stop or prevent exposure. We just have to accept the fact that exposure exists, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

We can kill all the 12 year olds making these tutorials..... then again we yall go to jail.

Not my best idea.....yet

Jul 13, 2009
Dont be hypocritical now.
You lashed at me for personal attacks,dont do them yourself.

Visual where have you been man? I lashed at you because I miss interpreted your posts. There are reasons why I do things, this one goes a little farther then an mis-communication on my part, it goes into to the unethical practice that I know he does.

This was an idea from someone on the dananddave.com forums back in like 06.

It never took off and never worked.

Plus some exposure is good for youtube.
Alejandro Portela (theCuso) helped me get into flourishing from his tutorials, when he exposed the 5 faces of sybil cut.

The only harm that can come of it is loss of revenue for magicians, which is a bad thing, but with torrents, peer to peer sharing, skype, video chat rooms and msn, people all over the world can share, and that will never stop.

The ones who are serious about magic will accept the moral obligation to buy the product if they feel it's worth their attention.
As methodology isn't magic.

Best thing you can do is to stop watching youtube exposure videos, and getting annoyed, and if you do stumble across one, make sure it is well credited, or contact the creator to report to youtube.

G.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Randy, you're a dick, you know that? Grow the hell up man.

As for the OP, I don't see much point in doing this at all. It wouldn't do anything to stop or prevent exposure. We just have to accept the fact that exposure exists, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

How am I dick for stating a fact? He already did do a few Youtube Tutorials.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Again, if he doesn't want that brought up. He should ask for Expert Village to remove it. Another thing I can bring up whatever the hell I want. It wasn't even meant as a bash. It was me stating a fact. But sense you tend to hate people stating facts. This should really piss you off.

Tree produce Oxygen.
Water is one part Hydrogen and two parts Oxygen.

Again, if he doesn't want that brought up. He should ask for Expert Village to remove it. Another thing I can bring up whatever the hell I want. It wasn't even meant as a bash. It was me stating a fact. But sense you tend to hate people stating facts. This should really piss you off.

Tree produce Oxygen.
Water is one part Hydrogen and two parts Oxygen.

...Why did you even feel the feed at all to bring up something that wasn't even relevant to the conversation? I honestly don't care if you were merely "stating a fact" or if you were bashing him. The point is that you brought something up that does nothing but point out a respected members flaws. And the fact that you think that is acceptable is sickening.

That being said, I refuse to post in this thread anymore. If you have any more concerns, feel free to PM me.

Mar 29, 2008
As a professional of many many years and rubbing shoulders with some of the great ones of magic, I can tell you that any type of attention to exposure kills the art.

One occasion I was performing for a room of about 200 and after the show many people came up to me and said, "You were the BEST we've ever seen or will probably ever see again in the near future". Being the true professional that I am, I humbly thanked them (as you always should) and surprisingly they said, "We really hate that masked guy that reveals the secrets on tv, we love watching true art like the way you performed it".

In essence, people love being fooled and deceived. That is our job to trick them, fool them, and that is what sets us apart as magicians. Our art is our weapon and this is war (all in fun of course!)

Classic - MOrgician - nice one Baller. You have a mental disorder, do you realize that? I am flattered, really.

Anyhow - exposure doesn't kill magic, it just bruises it, and magic at its basic level, is suppose to FOOL, or why would it be magic? However, our job is not to fool them, it is to do both, fool and entertain.

Magic is a mental war - you are trying not to be caught, and they are trying to catch you - but I don't know what this has to do with Youtube videos?

Thanks for the publicity Baller08 - welcome back to the forums...for now.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I honestly don't think ANYBODY besides 12 year olds watch youtube videos on magic. I am pretty sure most Adults and anybody else has something better to do then to go "Man I want to look up how so-so did that effect!" Specially when 90% of the videos are just peoples hands and crotches. But hey, if that's what you're into. More power to you. Keep on Truckin.

Mar 29, 2008
Hey Randy,

I guess the question is - how many of us here learnt from Youtube - I know guys that never buy a book or learn any basics. Do you think that someone can become a proficient or well rounded magician through internet magic?

Regardless of it being exposure or not - do you think it is a good place for kids to start to learn? If you want to learn to do something well, do you think it would be harder to not see it done well, before you see how it is done?

I am not arguing, I am curious on what you think. I do think that some people go to Youtube to learn, I just don't think they look by name...or that they all look, but you can imagine it happens. Perhaps that is how many young guys start...and I would rather have a stronger more educated source for them to learn from then Youtube posts.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Thanks for the publicity Baller08 - welcome back to the forums...for now.

Does that guy honestly have not something else to do than to take the time to make a fake account and do these things? Wasnt this little "fight" over months ago?
Jeez baller, get a job, go to college, take a girl out to dinner, I dont know man. Do something. Makes me think you have nothing better to do.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Hey Randy,

I guess the question is - how many of us here learnt from Youtube - I know guys that never buy a book or learn any basics. Do you think that someone can become a proficient or well rounded magician through internet magic?

Regardless of it being exposure or not - do you think it is a good place for kids to start to learn? If you want to learn to do something well, do you think it would be harder to not see it done well, before you see how it is done?

I am not arguing, I am curious on what you think. I do think that some people go to Youtube to learn, I just don't think they look by name...or that they all look, but you can imagine it happens. Perhaps that is how many young guys start...and I would rather have a stronger more educated source for them to learn from then Youtube posts.

I guess it depends. I can see the REASON why they wouldn't go out and buy said DVD or book (even tho most of the old stuff is pretty cheap to get off amazon or the local lybrary.. Like 5 bucks cheap.). Technology has pretty much caused people to become abit lazy and with youtube it's like "Hey, I don't even have to get off my ass. I can just wait a week or so for somebody else to put it up on youtube or vimeo or whatever.". I personally do think they would be better off learning from a DVD or a book from said creator due to the fact that the creator or book can tell you all the subtleties and little tips that enhance the effect or routine, not to mention the person spent alot of their energy creating said thing, so they atleast deserve that amount of respect.

I pretty much think of this way. Would you rather learn to play Piano from somebody who's been doing it for 20 years, or from somebody who just learned twinkle twinkle little star.

Mar 29, 2008
So if you would rather learn that way, which I completely agree with, what is the purpose of those poorly done videos that end up on Youtube?

So, who does it benefit? Magicians - well, we agree we would rather learn from a reliable source. I agree with the analogy. If lay audiences don't watch them? Well...that can't be, because someone is watching these things, they DO have hits....not all of them are massive, but search the word "card trick" - THIS AND THAT tutorial has over 13 million hits...who is watching?

I mean - are magicians watching this 13 million times...13 million is alot - i mean, I love this and no, it is not a rick roll...but I haven't seen it 13 million times, but all my friends have seen it...and look at the count.

So - lay audiences HAVE to have seen it at least a certain percentage of the time...what percentage is acceptable? Do you believe it doesn't matter at all - no impact?

Thanks for the reply.

M

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Lay people are watching it, just not the ones that tend to matter. I can't really see anybody older than 12 watching that and going "Man, that guy is a genius. I.. I am in tears. Great performance good sir. I was on the edge of my seat."

I think this goes back to Val Valentino. I remember a ton of magicians being pissed at him for his show, but then I remember a story about a guy at the magic castle who pretty much did like alot of the stuff Val did, and fooled everybody. This was like a week or so after the show aired.

If anything, I think the only people who are getting hurt my the exposure video's are the ones who spend all their time worrying and watching that stuff.

Best youtube tutorial ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQxcr9hTEAw

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results