Making a Routine

Jun 20, 2008
Belchertown, MA
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I am trying to come up with some kind of routine for card magic. I honestly need help figuring out what to do and how to put it together. Do you take all your tricks and mix them together and leave the best for last or what? I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to start and build a great routine. Thanks

Mat

Sep 3, 2007
When I make routines I think of what I want it to be about first. A 10 minute routine on dinosaurs? Then I think of as many of my effects as I can, and think of which one could have to do with T-rexs or whatever. Then I would think of how they could connect. Or if you have no idea what you want it to be about, find tricks that end with a good way to start a next trick, like thunderbird would go well into an ace assembly, then you would just have to think of patter to connect them.
Sorry if this didn't make sence, I just woke up.

Apr 28, 2008
It would help if you told us what effects you currently do and what situation you want to perform this routine in. (Street magic, Strolling, at a table etc)

Here's a ten minute routine I sometimes do when I have a table.

Dan and Dave's Collectors - (Quick and visual, gets everyones attention)
Thank you Lepaul or Hoffzy Osbourne (Uses the 4 aces produced in Collectors)
The Queens (I only do this is if there's not too many people as the angles aren't too good)
Reset (Uses the Queens and Aces produced from previous effects)
Triumph (I then let the spectators shuffle the deck and perform this as a closer as I believe it's one of the most poweful effects possible with a regular deck)

Jun 20, 2008
Belchertown, MA
Ya im just looking for a table/street/party routine. I have many tricks from T11 and D&D. I also have a few books like royal road to card magic and Expert at the card table, im looking to get a few more. I would like to here what your routines are.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I suggest the first trick in your routine be a trick with a major set up. Like a stacked deck, or where you arranged them in ace thru king in every suit (e.x. logical lesson, perfection). Then go into impromptu tricks (biddle trick, triumphs, tivo), a trick that produces four aces (conspriracy of four), tricks using the four aces (hofzzy osbourne, color changing aces, collectors edition) and then a closer (card through window, stigmata, moment of zen).

Not all routines have to be centered around a subject, you can in fact mix all of your favourites tricks with a few climaxes and make a routine.
But, keep that in mind, all tricks should have the same feel to them, the same atmosphere around them. For example, you can't do a light, amusing card trick and then jump to some serious mentalism stuff. For street magic use quick, light, visual and high impact tricks (Panic is a great example, or Distortion, and I also like Clutch by Oz Pearlman, though it's a bit longer). For party tricks, make a routine with one quick, high imapct starter, then a gradual build-up, when you slowly bring your audience to believe you can do anything with a deck of cards, and end it up in a more dramatic, slow effect with a very big climax (One of my personal favourites lately is Justin Miller's Blank Out from the Ellusionist's Guerilla Guide to Using Loops).
Have fun!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Here is my routine:

1. 8 card brainwave
2. Chigago opener
3. Biddle trick
4. Waving the aces (i dont know if that is the name, it's the sandwitch routine)
5. ACR (closer)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results