Making magic into a career

Aug 8, 2013
California
Ive been doing magic for a while now, am i really love it. But i cant really see how i could make it into a career. I was wondering if anybody out there could help me achieve my goal of making magic into my job. Maybe a step-by-step if possible, any insight would be helpful.

Please and thank you!

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I would suggest starting small. Take small steps. Great a good act - An hour long or so. Maybe make a demo video. Try to learn about performing at restaurants/businesses. And go from there.

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
what do you want to do? strolling, restaurant table hopping, stage illusion, cabaret, parlor? This is not to say that you cant to more than one, I'm just wondering if you have a specific goal.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
It's a multi-tier process and there are lots of variables. The generic approach starts with two things; table hopping at a couple of dining facilities (family) in your region and likewise, offering private parties for kids as well as adults. These two steps will help you cultivate a local reputation and "fan base". The 3rd leg of this process is to get seen which means participating in a lot of no or low pay gigs such as street festivals, fundraising, scouting events, shopping mall promotions, etc. High Profile situations including stunts you can set up yourself a couple of times a year (do too much and it will backfire when it comes to the stunts).

If you are wanting the corporate market then you need to graduate from the family facilities into what I call the "Country Club" environment; your show case gigs need to be at the upper-end night clubs in the region, etc. The real problem with this process is that you MUST wear clothing that is of current vogue and at least within the same price range as your clientele if not better -- you have to dress in a manner that projects success and accomplishment even when you're living on PB&J or Mac & Cheese in real life. Image is 90% of what will get you places.

As part of the image issue proper speaking and coming off educated is another big deal; none of the street slang and laziness that's so common in today's world. That's fine if it's part of a persona, but when you get down to business, speak like an educated person and ALWAYS have your printed materials and correspondences grammar & spelling checked . . . and not just via software, which frequently get's things wrong.

Politics is the next big secret; show biz is a political animal and knowing the right people or more important, them knowing you and having a positive opinion of you is of major benefit. Being a member of one or two social fraternities like the Shriners, JayCees, or an active Lion's club will get you far but this type of thing includes belonging to the right Health Spa/Gym, Country Club, etc. as well as who you play golf, tennis, handball, etc. with. . . more deals happen in those environments than most any other; use them!

HAVE AN ACT!

If you don't have an act don't try selling one and don't take gigs until you do. Don't Be the Schmuck That Books the Gig and Then Comes to the Boards Asking About What You Should Be Doing. . . BE PREPARED!

Every magical entertainer should have a set series of close-up routines that are suitable to table side as well as strolling. If you are strictly magic you should have a kiddie show that's appropriate to birthdays, etc. as well as an adult program (I don't mean sexually suggestive but I do mean more sophisticated and proper... appropriate to the age group and your desired target audience). Finally, you need at least a handful of MC stage routines and ultimately, a collection of routines that will give you a 15-20 minute act. . . over time this will evolve into an actual show but this is part of the baby step process.

DO NOT try to be a jack of all trades. . . find your niche and stick with it. You do not need to have a Mentalist Show, an Illusion Act, Manipulation Act, Escape Act, Hypnosis Act and so forth, you need to create a program that fits you and your vision; what supports your persona and claims. It is impossible to have all of these different kinds of programs and be good at them all, so focus and most importantly, DO THE STUFF THAT'S YOU -- don't try keeping up with all the trends.

Always Plan Ahead. . . don't take gigs that are a week away (initially) you must have prep time; especially if you're not performing regularly, you need time to run through the material several times so you are smooth during the performance. Secondly, being too available not only makes you look desperate for work, it takes away from the illusion that you're successful. If a client wants to book you for the 14th, for example tell them you have a tentative event on that date and you'll have to get back to them before confirming or offer them an optional day either prior or after that desired date. . . give them options while creating your image. Don't do it every time, but remember the dates & time slots and stick to it, no matter what may roll your way. . . remember, we're talking "tentative" booking, you can always call them back a few hours later and confirm.

Business Wise you will need current photos, cards and a web presence that all supports the image and target market demands. Keep things simple and to the point. Any video needs to be of actual performances and not B.S. done on the sidewalk that's been captured on an iPhone. YOU'RE A PROFESSIONAL, RIGHT? Then do things the way a professional would do them.

Do Not Expect to Make Loads of Money until you've been in the game 3-5 years that's about how long it takes to get established enough to start making a relatively decent living as a performing mage or mentalist (though there are aspects of Mentalism that can make that path a lot easier). Be prepared to reinvest in your dream constantly; at first this will be about 75% of every penny you make but ultimately that will shift to being about 35% of your gross annual income (see Joel Bauer's book Hustle, Hustle).

Finally. . . study everything you can about business & marketing, especially as it relates to show biz. Invest in manuals such as "Secrets of the Millionaire Magician" and use the outlines they give -- THEY WORK!

Best of luck!

Jul 15, 2014
NYC
I would ask, why? Really for most people it becomes a job (a fun one!), but if you want to be an artist, dont do magic as a career too early on..Worrying about the money side tends to keep artist away from being original, or truly trying out new things in magic.

But, if on the other hand you want to just make money, arent interested in creating and being an "artist", then go for it. Doing Magic as a career threw me off for a few years from doing what I love, like creating or trying new effects. I jumped into the career too soon, so I had to take two steps back and one forward.

Now this doesnt apply forever, just depending on how long you have been in magic. Tamariz says wait 15 years before going Pro, this way you can create and play, so when you delve into the business side of things you have a strong backing of your own ideas and creations. Helder Guimmares also mentions similar concepts.

This is all basically what Craig also touched on (awesome post Craig!) about having an act, its much better to build and play, then step into the career side. Two different realms.

Hope that made sense lol

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results