mark wilson complete course sponge ball question

Nov 29, 2017
N.B canada
Is there a certain size spongeball for the routine in the book? All I own are 2'' and my 2 as 1 looks questionable to me. Or is it just that I'm looking to close because I know the method. Thanks

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Two inch is the standard size. You should have no problem using that size sponges.

I'm assuming you are on page 395 and steps 17 through 20. I would suggest some different handlings.

Handling #1

Keep the sponge finger palm in your right hand as you pick up the sponge on the table. Your hand should be positioned so that your thumb and first (index) finger and the "V" of flesh between them is up. As you go to pick up the ball, pull your second, third and fourth fingers in toward your palm - not too tightly so that you hand looks tense, but just enough that the palmed ball is well concealed and it looks natural. You can do a clean momentary display of the single sponge showing the gap between the sponge held at the tips of your first finger and thumb and the rest of your hand. As you move your arm to place the ball in the spectator's hand, relax your second, third and fourth fingers as you bring the ball at your fingertips over the ball in your palm. The ball at your fingertips will rotate slightly as it goes over the ball in finger palm and be held, momentarily, in place by your thumb. As you are doing this, rotate your wrist over so your hand moves allowing you to an see the back of your knuckles. You have three motions going on here: the largest is your arm moving, the second largest is you wrist rotating and the smallest is the ball at fingertips being moved over the ball in finger palm. The larger motions cover the smaller motions. As you reach the spectator's hand, the thumb continues its motion of rotating the ball and essentially gets out of the way as you push both balls into the spectator's hand with your other fingers providing cover for the two balls.

Handling #2

Keep sponge finger palmed in you right hand. Approach the sponge on the table coming in from right to left with your fingers relaxed. Pick up the sponge so it is above the sponge in finger palm. The display has all of your fingers touching but relaxed. The move to put the sponge in the spectator's hand is the same as above with the sponge being rotated by the right thumb.

Handling #3

Keep sponge finger palmed in right hand. Approach the sponge on the table coming in from right to left. As you approach the ball on the table, relax the finger palm and bring your fourth finger in toward a sixteenth of an inch or half a centimeter. This will center the ball between all four of your fingers. To pick up the sponge on the table, you want the finger palmed sponge to be a half inch forward (toward the front of the table and away from you) of the ball on the table. You pick up the ball by making the gap between your thumb and first finger really wide. You contact the ball at the 7:45 position on a clock with your thumb and push the ball toward your finger tips with your thumb. This action compresses the ball in finger palm and has about half of the ball from the table overlapping with about half of the ball in finger palm (there will be a 45 degree slant between the balls) with your fingers covering the point of overlap. Continue as above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results