Masterfile or Utopia?

Jul 25, 2011
Berlin
I've only got the Masterfile, not Utopia. The Masterfile is awesome ... IF you're seated at a table. You've probably read the description: blindfolded production of all cards running in a spectator named suit, chip of the bottom of a wine glas then "screw" it back on again, make liquid appear in glass, blindfolded production of a card coming from a shoe coming from the deck while the spectator had shuffled the deck! Sounds great, well, I don't agree with Lennart, that the modified version of the main act is better. Great things (a bunch of tricks including fractal harmony, the poker deal, Xirtam, Flexible Deck, 6 other false shuffles, about 9 false cuts .......) are not taught on the DVD set. These things are on the Classic Green 6 DVD collection (which I own) which costs about 180€ and (personal opinion) is essential if you want to perform Lennart Green's stuff. The only thing what the Masterfile contains, which is not on Classic Green, are the small miracles (2.5 DVD material) which are partly self-working individual and short tricks including also coins, folding cards into origami models one handed, nutshell games ...
Dani's stuff has some connection to Lennart, but I think it has got less hardcore sleights... I'd say, both (Utopia & Masterfile) probably aren't the same without the Classic Green background. If you haven't got Classic Green, I'd say get something else or get Classic Green or get the Masterfile for the extras tricks which are still more than ever would fit in a single show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
Both sets teach extremely different types of material, so I think it's quite hard to say which is objectively better. Lennart Green is all about clever moves and mathematical principles, whereas Dani Da Ortiz goes much more into the psychology and has less hardcore sleight-of-hand. My own opinion is that they teach complementary ideas, and are both extremely good for someone who wants to improve as a card magician, but if I were to choose one set first, I would go with Dani's as his ideas on performance and psychology can inform any magic you perform, even if you don't choose to use his tricks.

Jun 1, 2009
This is such a vague question. Why do you want these? Do you feel you are ready for the challange, each has a freakin boat load of information you'll need to study for a while to get down. We don't know how you perform, or what you like performing, how skilled you are, ect. Instead of asking "What should I get?" ask (or look for on your own) reviews of the product. I watch Wizard Product review every week, and go back plenty of times to see if they have reviewed an effect I'm interested in. They have saved me from buying some things that would've been just crap.

So again, why do you want one or the other, and be honest with yourself. Do you want them to know how they do their stuff, or do you want them because you will actually use the material? That's one of the main questions I ask myself before buying a product. If you just want to see how it's done, then you'll be wasting your money. If you just want to say "yeah I have that DVD set" then you are just wasting your money. If you actually want to go out and peform it for people, then yes, buy it. Again, you'll have to be brutally honest with yourself on why you really want something, or else you'll end up with a bunch of material in your room you'll have regret buying.

Sorry for the rant, it's just irritating when people ask questions like this, I think RealityOne had a similar point in a thread on "There is no THE BEST".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results