Memorized Stack Trainer (FREE)

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hey guys,

This evening, for a bit of fun and also to help me learn the Mnemonica stack, I built a web-based memorized stack trainer which you are all welcome to make use of, too.

Find it here:
http://huruey.webs.com

If you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know. I already have a few ideas for improvements which I may include in a later version.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! This is incredibly awesome! I'm not currettly working on memorized stack work but I can see how great a tool you've created.

Thanks for sharing (and for free no less). How long did this take you to create?

Jun 1, 2009
Not trying to be a debbie downer here, but how is this used exactly? I'm not asking in a scornful way, but in a curious way. I'm not familiar with a stacking technique so could you clarify how this works a bit more?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I haven't examined it thoroughly, but at first glance this is what I see.

You input a stack. It will run through the stack at an interval you designate. It will help you memorize the stack by basically quizzing you.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Cheers, guys. Glad to know it'll be of use :)

Davidicon, it took me a few hours to get the main bits working, but then I ended up doing an all-nighter, some of which I spent tweaking and implementing a few extra features. :p

Fezzik, as SimonOHart said, it pretty much just quizzes you on the stack that you are trying to learn. Once you have selected or typed in a stack and loaded it, you will see numbers appear on the right section, and you are to try to work out what card is at that number. You may change the time intervals, which cards in the stack you are testing yourself on, whether you are looking through the stack randomly or sequentially, and whether you are trying to work out the card from the given position or the position from the given card.

By setting the guess time to 0, you can easily simply loop through parts of the stack purely to try to memorize them without testing yourself, but starting small and gradually increasing the amount of the stack you are looking at is a good way of really committing it to memory.

Joe

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
First of all. I'm glad there are more people who devoted themselves to this stack. I have been using it for several years now, and consider it one of my favorite things to perform. Shouldn't say, "one of", since there are thousands of things you can do with this stack, especially when you are working with another person who knows the same stack.

In any case. Even though the creator put in hours creating this site, I wouldn't use it to START off memorizing the stack. I highly suggest going through the motions described in Juan's book. Carry a deck around with you. Etc... flash card yourself at all times. The site kind of gives you too much at a time, and until there is a function that allows you to do the revealing at your own pace by the click of a button, keep this site as a review site only for when you already have the stack down to a good point.

As for functions that I think would REALLY improve the site:
1: Being able to quiz through the suits. Choose spades and randomize them, and quiz through just the spades, etc...
2: Have a practice mode and a test mode. In the test mode, you have to either select the position, or the card, in under 5 seconds, at random. The test will keep track of the cards you missed, shuffle those again, and quiz you on those. It can post your time etc... as well.
3: In the practice mode, you can mark the cards as "mastered, needs review, not memorized yet," etc... so you can go through the "needs review," or the "not memorized yet" cards only.

lastly: a drag and drop function. Have all the cards listed in order (new deck order etc...), and you have to drag and drop the cards in order, (time trial). etc...

Sep 1, 2007
UK
The site kind of gives you too much at a time

You can change the range so that you are only looking at a very small number of cards at a time. The strategy I have been using for myself is to memorize 3-5 cards at a time, which is really easy, then practice everything I have learnt so far, then learn the next 3-5 and so on. This has proven very efficient and I almost have the whole stack memorised :).

I'll be adding pause/play/rewind/next/reset and reveal buttons, soon.

Joe

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Are you learning the 3-5 cards randomly? or Starting in order? Are you learning 3-5 cards from 1 suit at a time?

If you are learning 1-5, and then 6-10, and then 11-15, and so on... this will only hurt you in the long run, and will take a longer time to learn this way.

An example, 99% of the English speaking population, if asked, "what is the 17th letter of the alphabet?" or "what position is M in the alphabet" will have to start from A and count up until they get to the answer. You do not want your Mnemonica stack to be this way.

You may not be learning it this way, but many do. I started with the clubs, then hearts, spades after that, and finished with the diamonds. I learned them this way so that I made to associate a number with each card and vice versa. If you do it this way, you will be able to say all the odd numbered cards, or every 5th card, or say them backwards, just as quickly as you can name the entire stack.

However, if you learn the stack the wrong way, it will be like asking someone to say every 4th letter of the alphabet quickly (quite difficult for most people).

Another good way to learn, do all the aces, then the twos, then the threes, and so on. Just, avoid learning the stack in order, from the beginning. Bad idea.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Are you learning the 3-5 cards randomly? or Starting in order? Are you learning 3-5 cards from 1 suit at a time?

If you are learning 1-5, and then 6-10, and then 11-15, and so on... this will only hurt you in the long run, and will take a longer time to learn this way.

An example, 99% of the English speaking population, if asked, "what is the 17th letter of the alphabet?" or "what position is M in the alphabet" will have to start from A and count up until they get to the answer. You do not want your Mnemonica stack to be this way.

You may not be learning it this way, but many do. I started with the clubs, then hearts, spades after that, and finished with the diamonds. I learned them this way so that I made to associate a number with each card and vice versa. If you do it this way, you will be able to say all the odd numbered cards, or every 5th card, or say them backwards, just as quickly as you can name the entire stack.

However, if you learn the stack the wrong way, it will be like asking someone to say every 4th letter of the alphabet quickly (quite difficult for most people).

Another good way to learn, do all the aces, then the twos, then the threes, and so on. Just, avoid learning the stack in order, from the beginning. Bad idea.

I start by viewing the 3-5 cards in order a few times, then set it to random until I am completely happy, then move onto the next 3-5, do the same, when I am happy with those, I then randomly go through all those I have already done, thus ensuring I can recall any card or position at will.

It is not learning in small chunks that would prevent you from learning the stack properly, but only doing it in sequence. That is what the random option is for.

Joe

Nov 8, 2007
This is awesome. I already have the Joyal stack memorized, but sometimes I need a refresher if I haven't performed with it lately. I'll definitely be using your program. Thanks so much for making this available. Very nice, man.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
I have just made a couple of updates including credits and adding a downloadable version for offline use.

I will probably do a few more over the next few days now that I am on holiday, such as a shuffled deck order.

Joe

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
I have just made a couple of updates including credits and adding a downloadable version for offline use.

I will probably do a few more over the next few days now that I am on holiday, such as a shuffled deck order.

Joe
Any chance of an app for the iPhone / iPod touch? Just a thought. ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results