Mentors?

Feb 10, 2013
Utah
www.youtube.com
I hear people saying that they have a mentor. I'm wondering what that means. I'm assuming its a teacher who helps you learn magic. 1-Is a mentor just a person who you have learned all of your tricks from, or if you've learned all of their developed/invented tricks? 2-Or is it someone who you meet in person and discuss skills and controls with? 3-Where do you find a mentor? 4-How can you become one?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I hear people saying that they have a mentor. I'm wondering what that means. I'm assuming its a teacher who helps you learn magic. 1-Is a mentor just a person who you have learned all of your tricks from, or if you've learned all of their developed/invented tricks? 2-Or is it someone who you meet in person and discuss skills and controls with? 3-Where do you find a mentor? 4-How can you become one?

A mentor is someone from whom you learn the deeper details of magic. Meaning you'll probably learn some tricks, sleights and such from them, but more importantly you'll learn to make your performances better. They'll probably also help you with networking and meeting other magicians, performers, agents or clients. You'd probably end up meeting up with them in person most of the time, but I could see it being feasible to do it all online, what with video chats and IMs and text messages. I think it would be far more effective to do it in person, though.

Finding a mentor is one of those zen kind of things. "When the student is ready, the master will appear." Generally you find them by being in the social circles that magicians travel in, and impressing someone enough to take an interest in you. Then you start talking magic, and eventually start learning from them.

Becoming a mentor is something I wouldn't even worry about. Just learn and perform and build your reputation. If you ever learn enough, and are able to express yourself well enough, people will end up learning from you. You may become someone's mentor. It's not a big deal if you don't.

Sep 1, 2007
1-Is a mentor just a person who you have learned all of your tricks from, or if you've learned all of their developed/invented tricks?

God no. The purpose of a mentor is to guide you through your journey toward your success. Mentors have experience and intuition that you have not yet earned. They streamline the learning process by removing a lot of the trial and error method and impart their knowledge directly to you, provided you have the foresight to ask for it. Also, just watching them work can be illuminating as you can see a master doing what they do best.

2-Or is it someone who you meet in person and discuss skills and controls with?

Again, you're thinking in terms of pure mechanics. A mentor agrees to take you under his wing because he sees potential for greatness and success in you. These people are at the top of their game, and their time is too valuable to waste on someone who isn't going to apply themselves or are only thinking about getting the techniques that they think will magically make them better.

3-Where do you find a mentor?

There is no specific place you go to find one. It's a relationship that occurs naturally when you find someone who is successful and look up to them as an inspiration. Most often, it's a matter of happenstance and serendipity.

Watch Seven Samurai. Gorobei becomes a mentor to Katsushiro, albeit reluctantly. That might help you understand a little better.

4-How can you become one?

Given the questions you've asked so far, that point is so far away for you right now as to be not worth considering.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I met my mentor at an IBM ring meeting. He was so far above the rest of the group in talent that I actually went to him and asked if he gave lessons in card magic. He was the only one that I felt could take my magic to the next level where I wanted to grow professionally.

Christopher is correct. Mentors help you in numerous ways. They can teach you effects, technique, do and dont's at gigs, and most importantly they can help you network and get gigs to build your own client list. I highly recommend finding a mentor even if you have to drive an hour or so and can only meet once or twice a month. You will learn and advance much more rapidly.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I've known many a teacher who, at that stage in my life were a "Mentor" but there is only one person I give fullest credit to for being my primary guide and a kind of father-figure in this journey, which would be Kirk Kirkham. But as I said, I've known many an amazing teacher over the years and very few of them were anything remotely close to what I'd envisioned a Mentor would be.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results