Mnemonics!

Aug 13, 2009
So I am loving my new 13 Steps to Mentalism book! And I must say that my favorite part is the step (chapter) on memory systems and mnemonics. I did a search and it seems that Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz (if I remember correctly, I searched earlier today) seems to be something to look into. Anything else you guys might reccomend?

Also, for those of you that have 13 Steps, other than what is mentioned by Corinda, what other uses of mnemonic memory systems have you found? I'd love to hear some different presentations of it that you've used or different ways to incorporate it. It seems limited, but I'm sure that with creativity it could be used for a variety of things.

Thanks all!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Juan Tamariz's book is a completely different thing than what Corinda is talking about. His method is very easy to do and is more for remembering objects and numbers listed by people.

Tamarizs is more for card magic and unless you have a half way decent knowledge of card magic. I wouldn't recommend it just yet.

Also Harry Lorayne is the guy you want if it deals with anything memory related.

Aug 13, 2009
Looked up Harry Lorayne, and it seems he only has one book out. Called Power Memory Systems. It looks good! Also, I ask again (sory don't mean to sound repetitive/nagging) what types of ways you might present mnemonics? I get the feeling that Harry Lorayne's book does go over using his system for presentation.. ?

Sep 3, 2007
Looked up Harry Lorayne, and it seems he only has one book out. Called Power Memory Systems. It looks good! Also, I ask again (sory don't mean to sound repetitive/nagging) what types of ways you might present mnemonics? I get the feeling that Harry Lorayne's book does go over using his system for presentation.. ?

Try looking up "the memory book." Not sure if he wrote it or not. Also, try remembering the posts throughout the thread. That should get you on the right track.

You probably forgot... FART.

Ola

Jul 10, 2009
Lillestrøm, Oslo, Norway
Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz actually doesn't use the Mnemonic Alphabet, and that confused me a little.. :p

For card magic, it's a great book, but for general memorywork, there's probably better sources out there:)

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
If you're taking an interest in stacked/memorized decks, Tamariz's Mnemonica is an excellent source. But that's just what it is. Specifically prearrranged, memorized sequences in a deck of cards.
As previously stated, a mnemonic deck order doesn't necessarily use mnemonics, strangely enough. You associate a number with a card, and a card with a number, so when a number is named, you should instantly know what card is at that position, and when a card is named, you should instantly know what position it is at. Having a "key" associated to each number from one to fifty-two, then associating each "key" to a certain card is actually an inefficient way to have the cards memorized, unless you already have an immediate association for a mnemonic system for the numbers one to fifty-two.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'd recommend Harry Lorayne's work. I have 'How To Develop a Super Power Memory' and love it.

There have been mnemonic systems since roman times, so there's probably more resources out there if you really want to learn it. I know some methods, like the memory palace and such, but haven't put them into practice yet. Mostly I use association.

As for how to present it, well, that's up to you. I've never seen Harry Lorayne's act, but he does an entire show based off memorization, you might try to find that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I'd recommend Harry Lorayne's work. I have 'How To Develop a Super Power Memory' and love it.

As far as I'm concerned, you're never going to find a better system than "How To Develop a Super Power Memory." It's really quite incredible how fast it takes effect and starts to work.

As for how to present it, well, that's up to you. I've never seen Harry Lorayne's act, but he does an entire show based off memorization, you might try to find that.

He used to perform a finale in which he would get the names of everyone in the audience. He asked them to stand up once he called their name. He proceeded to list the name of every single person from memory and naturally received a standing ovation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results