Monument by Dimitri Arleri (Full Review)

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Dimitri Arleri is one of the most reputable cardists in the community right now. His eagerly awaited debut cardistry project with Theory 11 has just been released after 18 months of production and hype. I want to keep the back story short so we can get right into the moves.

Moves

Axis: Axis is an interesting one handed cut where you rotate out the bottom half of the deck to the top half, and then immediately return it with another rotation. The cut is false and a bit knacky. Definitely something worth playing around with, the grip is interesting enough to help you come up with some new ideas. Axis also plays a key roll in Dimitri's cut Mango, also on the DVD. So, you're going to want to get pretty comfortable with these little cuts. 78/100

Mango: Mango is almost a two handed version of the Axis cut. There are tons of twists and turns involved, and you do actually need to perform the Axis cut at the half way point. Interesting move, but the grip is a bit uncomfortable. It's going to take some practice to get this one looking right, but Dimitri makes this look great. 83/100

Angel Cut: The Angel Cut is basically what it's name implies. You perform the move Angel, where you balance a single card on your thumb. However, while balancing this card on your thumb, you now have to execute a thumbless one handed cut. I'm going to be honest, this cut hurts. Really, this is a tough one. The one-handed cut portion alone is already tough, but with the card in the Angel position, it feels nearly impossible. A great concept, but mechanically difficult. 86/100

Flower Fan Helix: This move is a slight variation of the Flower Fan. You execute a Flower Fan, then stick the fingers of your free hand into the fan and twist it into a five-pointed star. This was my least favorite move on the DVD, it just feels clunky. The Flower Fan shape is already impressive; I feel like the added phase is unnecessary. Not my favorite, but I'm sure someone will like it. 56/100

Flip Flop Isolation: The Flip Flop Isolation is obviously an isolation-type move, as the name implies. A single card is isolated from two packets, and the two packs sort of swivel back in forth in a flipping motion. This gives the illusion that the card isn't moving, thus creating the isolation. I'm not a big fan of this technique, I feel like there are much stronger isolation techniques out there. The move doesn't really look technically impressive and it's not something that I played around with for long. The move is pretty easy, so I'm sure someone will enjoy their own ability to perform one of Dimitri's moves. It could have been better, but it falls a bit short. 62/100

Mechanical Air: Mechanical Air is a variation of the Molecule 3 cut by Dan and Dave. In this variation, you end up rotating two packets in one hand and close by throwing both of them in the air and catching the simultaneously with each hand. I can't get enough of this move, it's just such a fun idea to play around with. The move is incredibly knacky but any fan of the Molecule 3 cut will love playing around with this idea. Definitely one of my favorites on the DVD and worth every second of practice spent on it. 88/100

Around The Block: Around The Block is a one handed cut that puts a new spin on the Swing cut. The bottom pack in a swing cut position is swung around the hand until it reaches the top pack, where it rotates until it becomes flush with the deck. I probably would have liked this cut more if I could DO it, but sadly I just couldn't get the hang of this one. The motion is certainly impressive, but it just isn't for me. Definitely a good move, nothing wrong with the idea. 80/100

Scissor Split Combo: Dimitri has a habit of naming his moves after what they literally are. This isn't seen much in the community anymore, so it's good to see someone still naming things for what they are. The Scissor Split Combo is what the name implies, you start with a Scissor Cut, do some interesting rotations with the two packs, then you split the Scissor Cut grip with the other hand, and end up with two identical Scissor Cuts, one in each hand. You then collapse the two cuts into eachother and it all comes back to the starting hand. VERY nice idea, something that anyone would at least like to attempt. 90/100

One Handed Slider: The One Handed Slider is a technique that was originally created by Antoine Thomas, AKA Ryoma. The move is essentially a one handed formation of a 2D triangle then a transition to a 3D triangle. A bit knacky, interesting concept. The move is impressive and it's a do-able way of getting into a one handed triangle. Solid move 87/100

Riffle Fan: The Riffle Fan is one of the main reasons why I, and many others, bought this DVD in the first place. To anyone watching, the move basically looks like a fan spontaneously appears from nothing. The deck looks like it spreads itself, there is almost no motion of the hands. One of the best moves I've seen in a long time. Such a simple concept, yet the resulting effect is amazing. Another reason why Dimitri is one of the best. 98/100

Moulin Rouge The Moulin Rouge is one of Dimitri's signature moves. It's a two handed cut that opens with a flashy flare sequence and follows up into a single card being twirled by both thumbs with a pack clipped in each hand. Awesome display, another great move. 93/100

Moulin Rouge 2 Another version of the Moulin Rouge concept, except there are two cards rotating instead of a single card. This is a tough one, the motion of two rotating cards is going to take alot of practice before it becomes muscle memory. Not for me, but it's equal to the first Moulin Rouge. 93/100

Riffle Turn:The Riffle Turn is a one handed cut where the index finger applies alot of pressure to the deck, riffling off individual packets and then rotating them around the deck. It's completely false, and it's probably the hardest flourish on the DVD. Even more painful than the Angel cut, but incredibly smooth looking. 85/100

Accordion:This move is my favorite move on the entire DVD. The move starts with a few L Cuts, and nestles the packs into a faro-like position. The fingers are then inserted, and the whole structure is expanded. I've never seen a move like this before. Seriously, this display is just out of this world. This one calls for a picture. 100/100

8746cbf2-d49b-4590-bc6b-4972455b8697_zps3a62f4d7.jpg

Speanut: Speanut is a fun two handed cut that literally puts a spin on the Molecule 3 cut. Three different rotations of the deck, awesome move. My only problem with the move is that it really relies on having a smooth deck. You're going to need to do some springs/waterfalls before you can pull this move off, the spins just won't work unless there's some air between the cards. That gets a bit tiresome, but the resulting move is worth the additional care. 93/100

Surface: Dimitri is one of the few cardists that still performs for real people. Surface is a modifed ribbon spread, that gets turned into a fan by one finger. He mentions that it's great for reactions from anyone watching, which wasn't something I was used to hearing on a flourishing DVD. The move isn't for me because I don't do much table work, but a great idea. 87/100

Explanations
Theory 11's Andrei Jikh set a sort of new standard for flourish explanations on his Genesis DVD set, as he opted to give spoken instruction rather than just slow-motion overviews of each move. Many people reacted positively to this change in explanation style, and Theory 11 has stuck with it ever since. Their next project Solo had a combination of slow-motion overview with spoken instruction simultaneously. Solo had the best explanations of any Theory 11 DVD in my opinion, the tutorials were concise and easy to follow. Unfortunately, Monument is a small step backwards in terms of explanation. Dimitri briefly explains each move from a front angle, similar to how Andrei taught in Genesis. However, the spoken explanations were a bit short and were immediately followed by silent slow-motion performances from the POV perspective. All in all, it feels like Theory 11 tried a slightly new style of explanation, but fell a bit short. Not for everyone, but an experienced cardist can handle it. 75/100

Overall:
Monument is a great DVD. It's also NOT AN EASY DVD. Not at all. I would only recommend that you purchase this DVD if you're already pretty confident in your own flourishing ability. The DVD itself costs $35 here at Theory 11, which is a pretty decent price for a flourishing DVD with 16 moves. If you're already technically capable, then this DVD has got some great ideas for you. Dimitri doesn't disappoint at all, and this project was worth the wait. 92/100

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks for the feedback man, I appreciate it. And I actually was considering giving a short demo of some of the material on the DVD. I've just been practicing the moves so I can get them to a presentable state.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results