MTL control by Mystery Mark

Nov 29, 2008
Yea I mean Some of the color changes and such I could kind of see, but when i really watcched his stuff like Roddity and this, it just seems to good to be true. I mean if all this stuff were that good he would have sent it to a high scale magician to see if its original. Thats what Mike Hankins did with his Harbor Change and I know that is what other magicians have done.

Oct 11, 2009
Mexico
Just a thought, if he was really been selling this methods, there wouldn't be people uploading videos doing the same things too?

sorry for my english.

Jan 12, 2010
Hey everyone,

After being amazingly entertained for several months by threads linking to my YouTube videos, I thought it was about time to join this board.

I guess I don't actually need to introduce myself anymore but okay, just for those who want to know more about me: I am Mark Hilkemeijer, also known as Mystery Mark whenever there is magic involved. I live in the Netherlands and own my own production company specialized in music, magic, software and talent, being head of the music and magic departments myself. (I used to own the talent department as well but that one was moved to NYC a while ago.) Because the business is doing fine but is amazingly fragile I decided to go to uni some months ago, just to get myself some backup for if anything would go wrong.

Anyhow, back to business. Now, I don't want this to become one hell of a huge post but on the other hand I want to clear up some things so I'll try to do my best.

First off, the reason why we released everything in limited amounts is because we want the art of magic to stay an art. Although you might have heard me saying in some video that magic is about the performance instead of the methods we would still be nowhere without them.

However, I don't believe in mass releases. Two days after we released a downloadable tutorial it was already available in torrent-format, which took us quite some time and pain in the ass to have removed from the web. By releasing the products in limited amounts we reduce the chance of something appearing on the internet (piracy or YouTube tutorials) dramatically, and we can ask for quite a high price for our products as well because they will be sold anyways.

This obviously would also reduce the chance of having reviews and videos of others appear on the internet, but we only see that as a good thing because once a performance isn't done properly on camera, a performance could turn into exposure. (We tell everyone who buys a release and wants to film it, or a part of it, to at least ask us if it was done properly, before sharing it with the rest of the world.)

Also, to find people who have seen me performing in real life or by online streaming, or those who own one or some of my releases, really isn't all that hard. And eventually there indeed will be a video popping up somewhere.

Second, I'm not like a superhuman. Most of the effects, like the color changes and 'The Flash', have been out there for a couple of years already. It's not that I come up with such a trick every day or week. And most of them are basically variations to things that have already been out there for quite a while.

Third, as said by someone who just bought my 'MTL' control: "The question is not if the sleights or gimmicks exist, the question is if those videos are fake or real." (That's not an exact quote but at least it was something along those lines as I don't have directly access to it myself). Do realize that the people who know how it's done, know what they have to look for and know what the effects should look like. None of those videos was actually lacking anything, instead, some of them even show too much.

Fourth and last for now, no matter how you look at it, I have had quite some people come up with amazing and original methods to some of the effects. I'm totally supporting originality and creativity and I hope you do too.

I'm in no way trying to make you think different about my magic. If you think all of my stuff is fake and that I'm the biggest liar on this planet, go ahead, that's the internet. If you like my magic, thanks a lot! I appreciate what all of you have been saying about me and my effects, and I certainly will for everything that will be said. Thanks a lot!

Nov 7, 2009
Well he says that he dosent relise mass orders because of expose... Well he dosent have to relise everything... Just 1/3 would be good... I mean I would pay $300 for roddity no question... If this guy does relise 1/3 of his effects he could definataly be a millionaire. I personally think its camera tricks but I like to belive it.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
How does... releasing 1/3 of his products prevent exposure??? the ones he released will be exposed later on... and
you would seriously pay 300 dollars for a pen vanish... a plain old pen vanish...300 dollars...
and even if it was camera tricks you have to respect the man for being that good at it... some damn good editign right there.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
When apprentice "magicians" cannot figure out something, they just say "camera editing". But do you really know what someone has to go through to make something vanish or change through camera editing or how you should act, because in reality the object is still there,to give the illusion that it's still there.

A clean vanish through camera editing can only be done in front of a green screen, no question about that and this guy can do it anywhere, unless he carries he's green screen wherever he goes. Also how can people go to the conclusion of camera editing when there's not a single cut. So please next time you think someone is using camera editing, reconsider twice before saying anything.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
When apprentice "magicians" cannot figure out something, they just say "camera editing". But do you really know what someone has to go through to make something vanish or change through camera editing or how you should act, because in reality the object is still there,to give the illusion that it's still there.

A clean vanish through camera editing can only be done in front of a green screen, no question about that and this guy can do it anywhere, unless he carries he's green screen wherever he goes. Also how can people go to the conclusion of camera editing when there's not a single cut. So please next time you think someone is using camera editing, reconsider twice before saying anything.

Im on break in my video production class, and it's very apparent you don't know what you're saying

Shh

May 3, 2008

You obviously have never edited video for magic before. I used to play around with editing video to make magic just for fun and no, you don't need a green screen. It's a matter of pausing the filming and resuming it after your dirty work is done. While it would be tricky to do what he does, it would still be possible.

And about carrying the green screen everywhere with him, have you ever actually seen him do a performance for someone outside or on the street or to strangers?

Sep 20, 2009
Oh, please!

He aint selling it. The whole idea of releasing just a highly limited number of copies is designed specifically to give the move credibility (it must be real, he's selling it!) whilst ensuring that its sufficiently unlikely that a supposed "buyer" could show up anywhere!

When a review pops up with a link to a performance video from the buyer, then i'll start to believe that this guy is possibly one of the greatest sleight-of-hand perfomers of all time. Until then, I call bull****.

i concur..

i do know that a lot of his stuff is camera tricks

Dec 22, 2009
Hong Kong
that is pure bullxxxx , i have asked most of the magicians i know who had been studing magic for ten years or more and the still did not think that this posiible.

and just look how he handle cards like a layman, sloppy. if dan and dave or vernon or bill goodwin could do this i would believe it could be done with slieght of hand.

did not really want to rant on this.

oliver

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
1. Even if it was camera tricks, they are some damn good ones. penguincdude or Jupiter,make anything remotely similiar to this and I will subject to the possibility that it was a camera trick. Even if they are camera tricks... boy does he need recognition for it. Hes not anyone who works at a large video editing company, hes just a guy. And for a regular person to be able to achieve that kind of editing... is just amazing.
2. reviloliver. How is his handling of cards sloppy at all? have you seen any of his other videos? can you do anything better? doubt it.

None of you have given any proof or actual evidence of this possibly being camera editing other than the fact that you can not figure out the real method. It is too clean. It is too visual. etc. etc. Just because you cant figure it out doesnt mean it isnt real.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
None of you have given any proof or actual evidence of this possibly being camera editing other than the fact that you can not figure out the real method. It is too clean. It is too visual. etc. etc. Just because you cant figure it out doesnt mean it isnt real.

Wow! Couldn't have said it better myself!

Just because it may seem 'perfect' means it's fake?

Sep 1, 2007
That card does not change its position in the deck. With the finite number of possibilities for controlling and moving a card, I would eat my hat if it turned out that that card was in any way controlled.

I'm not saying its camera editing; I could believe a dupe culled into bottom position and left backjogged so the reversed card could still be shown before the "magic move". If that is what he's doing, then he's doing it very well.

Despite my skeptisism I would of course love to be proven wrong!
Cheers,
David.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
We are not here to expose how he does it.
But once again, your arguement is essentially "I cannot figure it out, thus there is no possible way." What makes your experience and knowledge so superior that you know every single possibility which it could have been controlled. There is a finite amount of ways to control and moving a card and I can safely say that everyone here knows only 60% of it tops. What we do know does not define the limits... ever.

Sep 1, 2007
You can safely say that everyone here knows "60% tops"? Are you psychic?

sciffy, the tone of your post is very, very defensive. All I am doing is stating my opinion as a well-read cardman; and as I said at the end of my post, I would love to be proven wrong - not only does my hat look very tasty (with the right garnish) but if "Mystery Mark" has managed to revolutionise techniques like these then I would very much like to be able to do it too someday!

My opinion is based on the fact that when that card gets squared into the deck there seems to be zero opportunity for the card to be angle, side or back-jogged, which is a prerequisite for a control of this nature; you must be able to make contact with the face or back of the card in order to be able to move it. Even assuming he has developed a technique for backjogging indetectably (side and angle are ruled out by finger positioning), the lack of ANY finger movements also indicates the lack of a control. It's simple mechanics; if you want to move a card, then you have to move something IN CONTACT to the card - fingers, for example. This is usually covered by squaring actions of course, of which there is (again!) no evidence.

I'm not saying I know EVERY single possible control technique - my opinion is based on my thorough understanding of the known principles by which these techniques are achieved. What I do find interesting is that all the actions for a different technique are present - the one I postulated in my previous post.

Once again, if this is legit I will be pleasantly surprised and shout Mark's praises from the rooftops.
Cheers,
David.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
1. Even if it was camera tricks, they are some damn good ones. penguincdude or Jupiter,make anything remotely similiar to this and I will subject to the possibility that it was a camera trick. Even if they are camera tricks... boy does he need recognition for it. Hes not anyone who works at a large video editing company, hes just a guy. And for a regular person to be able to achieve that kind of editing... is just amazing.
2. reviloliver. How is his handling of cards sloppy at all? have you seen any of his other videos? can you do anything better? doubt it.

I didn't once question the validity of the video. Merely commented on someone throwing around post production facts without having a clue what they were talking about.

Chill out and get some friends

May 3, 2008

While there is no obvious evidence that he is using camera tricks, there is also no evidence that he isn't.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results