Muscle Reading?

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
Hey everyone,

Im starting to get a little bit sucked into mentalism havent really tried it but judging from performances I've seen it seems totally awesome!

I was just reading about Muscle Reading in particular and it seems REALLY COOL! I'd love to try it out ,any ideas on a good book/DVD to start learning muscle reading?

I read on the Magic Cafe that Dariel Fitzkee has a book entitled "Contact Mind Reading – Expanded" thats supposed to be pretty good, but im really not sure. Can someone please give me a push in the right direction. Id really appreciate it because I dont want to get stuck with something that doesnt help at all since im on a really tight budget.

Thanks

- Jenai

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
The best sources i know of is Psychophysiological Thought Reading by Banachek and Banacheks PSI series Vol 3.

But you said that you just starting to get sucked into mentalism, this is not for you then, this is pretty advanced stuff and you have to be a master at audience management and crowd control and use this, and even then it does not work all the time.

Also, to master this skill you need years of practice to get it to the level where you can use it on a regular basis, and its not something you can practice for yourself.

Learn and study mentalism for a while and then come back a few years later when you get more experience, if your new to it its just a waste of time.

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
The best sources i know of is Psychophysiological Thought Reading by Banachek and Banacheks PSI series Vol 3.

But you said that you just starting to get sucked into mentalism, this is not for you then, this is pretty advanced stuff and you have to be a master at audience management and crowd control and use this, and even then it does not work all the time.

Also, to master this skill you need years of practice to get it to the level where you can use it on a regular basis, and its not something you can practice for yourself.

Learn and study mentalism for a while and then come back a few years later when you get more experience, if your new to it its just a waste of time.
Oh, Ok, I thought so at first but then I read somewhere that it 'isnt as difficult as it looks' (I dont remember where, was looking for that post now but I cant find it)

Anyway that kind of convinced me to start with this, what would be a good start for mentalism in general..13 steps to Mentalism?

Thanks for your help

- Jenai

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Oh, Ok, I thought so at first but then I read somewhere that it 'isnt as difficult as it looks' (I dont remember where, was looking for that post now but I cant find it)

Anyway that kind of convinced me to start with this, what would be a good start for mentalism in general..13 steps to Mentalism?

Thanks for your help

- Jenai

Well, the general idea behind it is not that hard but it can be hard to performe in the real world. You really need to be able to control your spectators and pick the right spectator because on some people it just wont work.

The thing is, it does not work every time and even some of the best mentalist like Banachek fails sometimes, and then you have to be a good enough performer to take it cool and take the show in another direction and if your not very experienced you will just stand there looking like a fool.

I would start with :

- 13 steps to mentalism
- Practical mental magic (can be found for like 10 bucks in book stores)
- Bob cassidys fundamentals
- Banacheks psycholical subtelties vol 1
- Richard Osterlinds dvd series Mind mysteries (especially vol 2 which explains his BTC system, when you learn that stack you can do some of the strongest mind reading effects with cards there is)

You dont need everything but you can atleast look into it.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Muscle reading is an interesting idea however when you are starting out it is a lot easier to use as a presentational tool more so than a actual method. I personally use it a lot whilst still having an impression pad as a back up.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

Thanks for your help

- Jenai

Hey mate - as D ICE R said, I think if you really want to get started with it, I would do this:

The best place to start learning mentalism is Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals. It's brilliant because it teaches you about mentalism - what it is, what it isn't, and how to perform it - because mentalism is very different from normal magic, and succeeding in the two fields takes different skills. Mentalism's pull is that it is perhaps the last field of magic which is inherently believable. But if it's performed like a trick, and it's very easy to, then it won't be believable - and it'll drop faster than Snoop Dogg when it's hot.

You won't find many groundbreaking tricks in there - but that's not the point of the book, as you'll (hopefully) see. The reality is that people like Derren Brown, to name one famous example I hope you can relate to, take tricks that read boringly from books very few people read (Annemann's Jinx, for example) and fools the pants off 99% of magicians/mentalists and 100% of laymen. Fundamentals gives you the tools to do the same.

Now, regarding starting in muscle reading - I agree with D ICE R - if you really want to start there, go ahead - nothing should stop you. However, what I would suggest is this. Try and find a trick that pretends to use muscle reading - and when you're pretending to muscle read (you already know the card, or object, or name, etc.) - then ACTUALLY PRACTICE muscle reading. It's a good way to start.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Good advice here from D ICE R and Prae, Start off with the basics of mentalism.
For Muscle reading work, Banachek takes the cake for the best place to start off.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results