Music and Magic

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I happen to listen to music when I practice.

I figured I can not the only one. So, I was wondering if any of you do the same, and what your music choice is.

Also, do you find the type of music you choose affects the end result, rhythm, speed, and smoothness of your eventual performance?

-ThrallMind

I listen to music most of the time I practice. But sometimes i'm watching TV in the living room and I don't have music around, and I just wing it.

But when I am listening to music it's usually heavy metal, techno, or contemporary (peaceful) music. Heavy metal or techno when i'm fealing fast paced or just plain hardcore. And comtemporary when I want to flow slowly and smoothly. It all depends with my mood. If i'm in a crazy mood with tons of energy, heavy metal and techno does the job. If i'm feeling in the type of mood where i'm at peace with the world and i'm just loving life, contemporary does the job.

Anthony Bass

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
I tend to listen to extreme metal; Cradle of Filth, 3 Inches of Blood, Blind Guardian, stuff like that. Sometimes I get all classical about it and listen to Celtic Frost and Dimmu Borgir. I also tend to check out the artists who win awards or take out ads in my guitar magazines, like Deadstar Assembly and Saosin.

Occasionally I back up to some classic rock, and I do have a fondness for old school rap and - brace yourself - disco. The farther back you go, the more of the music from that era I like, back to about 1954 or thereabouts. It's just that the music industry sort of went down the crapper in the late 1990s... everything except black, death, and doom metal has been circling the drain for a long time. But since we keep looping back to that whole 1970s thing every ten or twelve years, we're about due for some good music... yup, any time now...

Sep 1, 2007
I listen to

fountains of Wayne: the only new band I like.

Switchfoot, the Beatles, Mood Blues, thats about it.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
yea anything with a nice pace and tempo, but i think you already know how much better your practice session have been with music by the way you posted your question. The real question is do you use that music in performance? in this age of technology its not just a stage performer who has the benefit of a big sound system behind him, we(close up guys) now have ipods with speaker attachments ( I have a small speaker from radio shack). i plop next to the close up mat i have even wore it around my neck when standing.
I do my normal patter while the music plays in the back round.

Sep 2, 2007
I enjoy classical music (ie, Mozart and Beethoven) whenever I'm practicing.

While I casually listen to almost every genre of music -- rock, rap, metal, et al. -- when practicing, whether it's False Sybil or Two Card Monte, classical music suits me.

Cheers,
JTM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results