Must have items & where to shop?

Mar 10, 2008
I've been out of the hobby for a few years now and want to get back into performing casually (to friends, @ bars, street magic, etc.)

1) I want to hear from those who are active in magic what you consider must have items &/or items that are amazing. (if applicable please provide the manufacturer so that I can find the product)

For example: this looks like a very neat trick:
http://www.pro-magic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=546&cat=7&page=3

2) What sites do you recommend buying materials from?

I'm excited to hear what you recommend and thanks in advance!

Jim

I don't have any opinion on single tricks that are must haves. Although books, on the other hand, are a different story. Strong Magic (Darwin Ortiz), Magic and Presentation (Henning Nelms), and etc. There are just so many books that I could recommend. I'll come back and edit this post later when I'm out of class.

Mitch

Nov 30, 2007
Personally, I mostly buy from Magic Pro Shop. I really like the site. If I were you, get a little bit of everything. Like get some coin stuff, card stuff, and rope stuff.

Oct 8, 2007
Since you're getting back to your old hobby then I'm assuming you know the basics? Maybe you should catch up on the big releases recently, not necessarily on E and T11 but definitely check them out as well.

Oh and I really want to bring up David Stone's DVD's, they're very good. Nice tricks and nice DVD production. They're among my favorites right now.

Good luck :)

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Well, you should definitely check out the Trilogy when you get a bit more comfortable. It's from the Buck twins.

A few new decks have come out and are in the works. Theory11's Centurions and Guardian's are worth a look, as well as the Wynn cards. Dan and Dave have a deck coming sometime soon.

DVD wise, it depends on what your preference is. If you like Loops, check out the Loops DVD set from E, which came out a year or two ago.

Hope that helped!

David

Dec 14, 2007
Or you can get the loops set from Fin Jon and Yigal, the people who actually created most of the ideas on the "other set."

Brad Henderson

Feb 28, 2008
Personally, I always carry an Invisible deck with me for a few reasons

1) It's one of the first tricks I ever learned and still find it very astonishing and
2) You can use it as an out in case you screw something up in an ambitious card or something.

Mar 10, 2008
Many Thanks - please keep the recommendations coming!!!

RECOMMENDATION SUMMARY:
Books:
- Strong Magic (Darwin Ortiz)
- Magic and Presentation (Henning Nelms)
- Royal Road To Card Magic
- OTHERS? If so please let me know.

DVD’s:
- David Stone
- Trilogy
- Loops (Jon & Yigal or E’)

Places to Purchase:
- T11 (obviously)
- Ellusionist.com
- MagicProShop.com

Products to Consider:
- Recent big releases recently – which would be??
- Centurions, Guardian’s, & Wynn cards
- Dan & Dave Deck – TBA
- Invisible Deck

If you have more to add (I'm specifically interested in the "new releases" mentioned) I would love to complie for further forum readers.

Thanks again,

Jim

I purchase from MJM Magic (free shipping) and Hank Lee's Magic Factory... along with Theory11. Two (three) stand up online magic shops. I highly recommend them!

Mitch

I'm going to second with mitchell saying that MJM is one of my favourite online magic retailer.

Now, these are some books that are guaranteed to give you some great information:
Art of Astonishment Vol.1,2,3-Paul Harris
The Paper Engine-Aaron Fisher.
Totally Out of Control-Chris Kenner

I would also recommend 2 other things. Just browse around the categories every online shop has see if anything jumps out at you. I did this, and it began my interest in rubberband magic so, you could stumble upon a genre you find very interesting.

And to also check out the 1-on-1 section here at Theory11. It has something for everyone.

-RA69

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results