My Classic Pass

Nov 27, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yb9E7YAZyA

This video is BORING! But if you would like to see my classic pass, feel free to watch it. This is 2 minutes of one move, from different angles, most of them rather odd. The bad camera angles were, for the most part, intentional. I wanted to see what my pass looked like under terrible conditions. Tips welcome, please keep in mind the odd angles.

Dec 8, 2011
pretty good pass, but I would recommend relaxing both hands more so that you don't have much finger motion that can be detected.
My favorite pass is the spread pass because of it's economy of motion. I also like just a straight pass with alot of speed, but smoothness in it. The pass is a tough move to learn correct and also to master. Ken Krenzel has a great video on the pass.
I don't like how most magicians do the pass because they try to over do it with unneeded movements. Try to do it by elimenating moves rather then adding jiggly moves that draw attention to the hands. Practice the old way with a 3-fold mirror also.

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
From the first three angle, that was really great. For the last shot (under your hand) we could see your last pass pretty easily. I can only do the turnover pass so I can't really help you on "improving" or give you any tips but on the top view, that look great :).

Feb 4, 2008
It sure is fast and it makes for a pretty change. I am by no means a pass expert and if you put mine on video it wouldn't look anywhere near as good as that however, I use the pass frequently in performance because I 1st. Misdirect (which I am not saying you don't do) and 2nd. I keep it silent. My first video instruction on the pass was in Paul Wilson's "Royal Road to Card Magic" video companion. The two things he stressed were to make sure the pass happens the moment the hands come together and that a quiet pass is more important than a quick one. So on that note I would work on getting it quieter. I'm not saying you have a particularly noisy pass mind you, just saying that it is the weakest part of your pass. For the most part I think it looks excellent.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Aaron Fisher had some good advice to on it, He mentioned that you should practice it while standing up. Because really when you perform for people, you don't perform with your elbows on your knees sitting down. MOST (99.9%) people perform standing up.

Nov 27, 2009
Thanks guys!

@Randy I usually do practice standing up. This video was a spur of the moment idea and I didn't want to get my tripod out.

@eostresh I have been using the pass in performance for about 2 years using the same theories as you. I try not to make the move when people are looking at my hands, and I also do it silently. In performance I do the pass a little slower.

@Goldmos I'm not surprised, but I'm also not worried about it. People almost never see the pass from below, or if they do, they're 3 years old and probably don't understand what's happening anyway.

@Demain Thanks for the advice. The finger movement is less visible from better angles, and I almost never do this without misdirection so it's not to huge a problem.

Feb 4, 2008
Yeah I figured you probably did. I don't mean to come off sounding as if you have a "Loud" Pass. It was just the most noticeable flaw in what I saw. So like ...Your speed 90%, your covering moves 95%, the noise 85%. Basically I like it all, I just like that the noise the least.

Nikolay Karagyozov

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
My advise is to eliminate the up and down motion of your hands and also to remove this last kind-of vertical spread you are doing.These things would alert the layman that something is happening,that the 'without-any-moves' is infact a lie. I could post a clip of me doing the classic pass if you'd like to show you what i mean (in case you didn't understand me).
You've gotten down the mechanics of the move,you make it quite silent but you have too much motion - yes misdirection can solve this issue, but dont always count on misdirection,as there are people who will burn your hands with their eyes. But when the classic pass is executed in the right way,not only will it go unnoticed,but also can be used as the most visual colour change (for example for ACR)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results