My first effect

Oct 29, 2007
Yery nice, a bit stiff but still good. Smoothness will come with practice

I like to use that first sleight to control the selection to the bottom, then do a hot shot cut. It a nice quick, visual effect that comes in handy when some one asks you to do a trick.

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
Good job; it would definitely fool a layman. However, I preemptively figured out what you were doing, because of the tilt away. I would use misdirection for that.

Mar 27, 2008
Thanks for the good comments so far. And if anyone has seen effect like this before, tell me. And any more tips except the double lift?

The effect itself is a mixure of two well known moves, though I never seen the effect before. Hey, how many times did you read a trick in a book and said "why didn't I think of that!"

Lessen the tension on the deck. The handling is so rigid, just relax your hands, and do your stuff. As you handle the deck more, you'll be much more relaxed.

This is especially true for the riffle F you did at the end.

Good luck mate :)

Mar 27, 2008
But what's the first sleight name? I actually don't know it and came up with it too. The handling may not be the best, but to me it seems fine. And working on the double lift, did you mean by getting the break or lifting?

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
the first sleight is pretty common in ACRs, wouldnt say the effects original though. But yep, it would stump laymen.

i advise not being so tense with the cards though. seemed like you were gripping them preeety tight.

Apr 28, 2008
The trick is decent, it's the sort of thing most people come up with when they start creating tricks.

However, you do not handle the cards very well at all. Even your spread looks very awkward. You need to relax your hands.

You also really need to work on your double lift, it's extremely unnatural. You should never get a break by pulling up the cards at the back of the deck. There's no way to justify that action and it is likely to make spectators very suspicious.

I would suggest looking into the Strike or Push Off double lifts, these look much smoother.

Sep 1, 2007
Relaxation is important but I don't think its as bad as all that. The spread looked just fine; and as for getting a break for the double by using your thumb at the back of the deck, well that's my primary method for getting a break and it flies past everybody. The key to making it work under performance conditions is attitude, time misdirection and audience interaction. Tilt the deck back as you get your break in order to mask the action a little more, then hold the break for a few beats while you patter before going into the double. The double itself does need work - I would suggest taking a look at Greg Wilson's "Double Take" DVD for some excellent instruction on the DL. It has to look relaxed, comfortable and natural in YOUR hands.

When performing for a camera, these aspects become harder to manipulate which is why you will recieve a lot of critisism for this kind of technique - but performing for a camera should really be the least of your concerns!

As far as the actual trick itself is concerned, I think the sleight that you use to control the selection initially is a variation on the Load Up Move originally by Wesley James or perhaps closer to the Interlock Principle which Dai Vernon did a lot of work on. Its a great and very versatile concept that's fun to play with. If you like this kind of effect I would suggest looking into all the variations of the "Everywhere" plot that are floating around - one of my favourites is published in John Guastaferro's Second Storm (lecture notes or the DVDs, its on both). Absolute stormer of a trick.

Well done, and keep on working!
David.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results