My Friend has Dug Himself Into a Hole

Sep 1, 2007
You should easily be able to fill up 5 minutes with two effects. If you can't, youre rushing your effects and not taking your time with each one. Take the time with the closer to make sure everyone realizes how fair it's been. Interact with the audience. Have fun.

That said, think about the way you've routined what you've done. You produce a silk, then put it aside and do a cell phone prediction effect? Hmmm... Where's the logic here? This is just magic for the sake of magic. There's no flow. Think about it.

I would say drop that first trick all together. Only do the second one; the cell phone prediction. And really take your time with it. Hype it up, talk about whats hapenning. Have numbers thought of, decks shuffled, really emphasize the fairness or it. No trick is going to be seriously magical if you only spend a few seconds on it. Take the time to invite everyone up, introduce them, joke around with them and ineract.

Remember, you're not only a magician, youre an entertainer. People want to feel a connection with you, and they want to walk out of a show smiling. Thats it. Take the time to get to know them. Work on your patter and have fun. A 5 minute show to me, sounds like one effect. That's it. You do one solid thing and youre out. If you really want more then one, do a quick opener that ties in with the finally. Produce the card box or something.

Those are just my thoughts though...

Sep 3, 2007
I really don't think thats sutable for 45 more seconds maybe for the whole half or even all of the 5 mins with a nice presentation.

Let's try this. Tell him that he is not ready to perform magic. Otherwise, he will make you, me and all of us that care about magic look bad.

Take care.

Sep 3, 2007
how about angle zero, easy enough but will definitely hit extremely hard

How about that one where you stick nails under some cups and hit your hand down on each cup (hard). Or maybe he could do the one where someone shoots a gun at his face and he catches the bullet in his mouth!

The kid shouldn't have a magic show, he hasn't had enough time. Dave Skull. Nice tutelage.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
I would think that getting 8 people up on stage would take up quite a bit of time so I'm not sure if you took that into account. With good patter, that 45 seconds will go by really quickly.

Lex

Dec 18, 2007
Chicago, IL
S p e a k s l o w l y .

I can guarantee that you speak faster than you think you do. Just slow down. It'll improve your performance, and your audience will thank you for it.

May 18, 2008
Man, thats soon!

Drop the ropes; I would say either try and make this all add together, or Angle Zero.

If you want Fizzmaster, but don't have AoA, Michael Kras has a neat version of it that would work well on stage in a free eBook somewhere on the net.

Sep 3, 2007
Well, I had a long talk with him on the phone a few minutes ago. We decided that he will only perform the cell phone prediction effect that I created. (Sorry, I'm so proud of myself!) I had him take notes on the patter I use. I told him to really interact with the spectators and to sort of joke around with them. If they do something stupid, give them a nickname regarding that mistake. (that's what I saw Copperfield do at his show.) I really think this could go quite well. I gave him a few tips on the sleight involved and I think he can pull it off well. He is a natural performer. I told him to talk slowly.Instead of throwing a ball into the audience they're going to place stickers on random chairs since the students don't know where they will sit. I can't wait to hear how it goes, and I'm sure if it goes well he won't be hesitant to tell you guys himself.

Both of us would like to thank you guys for all of the advice.

Give them a nickname regarding that mistake? So you basically told him to get in anyone's face that gets stupid? Nice going. You have a gem in the making.

Sep 3, 2007
No, no, no, just harmless jokes. Only if they're laughing with him.

Let's hope he takes the advice well. When in front of people he could remember what you told him and give someone a nickname that doesn't want one. I'm sure he'll do fine though. I can't wait to hear how it went.

Peace.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results