My Teacher

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Last year, I had a teacher who ripped up my friend's deck in the middle of class. Even his Hovercard got ripped, which sucked.

He tried to do something about it, but the teacher argued about how he has the right to stop whatever disrupts his class. It was pretty dumb and the teacher definetly did not have the right to rip up his cards (in my opinion). Maybe only to take away his cards until the end of the period.

Oct 16, 2007
Yep

And that, ladies and gents, is why my senior year of high school, the only "card trick" I ever did while in class or in the halls was Danny Garcia's Scatter... If you know it, you get what I'm saying- if you don't, I do suggest buying it. After it's purchased, you could dare your teacher to rip the cards in half and still come out on top... College is the only place where mid lecture you can pull out a deck and tell a teacher to pick one and not have them taken- in my experience at least.

On a separate, more cynical note though, what was the purpose of the story other than to share facts such as: you had your cards taken (by a mean teacher), ripped, thrown in 'the bin', retrieved, and that you play the guitar with your mate? (If it was deeper than that, I'm sorry I missed it...)

-Dave

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
I know a guy who sued 7-Eleven for $1.07 plus court costs because they advertised cold soda and his was warm...he won....

Just Sayin'

-Brad

(When you get a chance, go talk to your administrator. That should fix everything, if it doesn't...let me know I'll send you a deck.)

Sep 3, 2007
You know what's a little bit annoying?

Kids who learn about the Constitution for a year in school and think they are lawyers.

Teachers can do pretty much anything they want at school. You ever wonder why they can search your locker without a warrant and why you can't swear at school? Cuz you give up those rights when you enter the building. You agree to follow the rules of the school.

So stick with what I said:
Learn a lesson from it. (Don't get caught, and don't trust grown ups to keep their word)

Maybe show her a card trick on one of her good days to catch her off guard, and, if she enjoys it, explain how her ripping up your deck kinda effects your card tricks and ask her politely for the $3-5 for a new deck.

The key to negotiating with teachers or parents or grown ups in general is you be polite, firm, and use proper English. Don't give them anything to trip you up with (ain't isn't a real word mister! etc.)

If you really can't get anything out of her just steal a stapler. That's worth about as much as a deck of cards and it'll make you feel better.

Your parents seriously think that it is completely the teacher's fault and absolutely no fault of your own?

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
HE CANT SUE ANYWAYS

HE CANT SUE!!!!!

*caps not for yelling, but for emphasis*

You can sue for almost anything...whether or not he wins is another story.

-Brad

PS: The reason that they can search your locker with no warrant is because the locker belongs to the school, and the school admin are not officers of the law.

PPS: Im speaking about the law in America...I have no idea about Australia...

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Sue? Technically you could, but it's not worth it. And, at least here in America, teachers can and would get away with that. If you're disrupting the class, which she could easily say you were, you have no "case". Sorry, but it's life. It's pieces of cardboard... you'll lose bigger things in worse ways throughout your lifetime. Forgive and forget.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results