Names

Oct 17, 2007
hello guys.. just a quick question..
do you tell the names of the trick you are suppose to perform? like for example a friend of mine usually utters the name of the trick before presenting it like "ok this next trick that I am going to perform is called prophet." sure we have our own styles in performing our craft but this one I say is not in my books.. how bout you guys?

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
hello guys.. just a quick question..
do you tell the names of the trick you are suppose to perform? like for example a friend of mine usually utters the name of the trick before presenting it like "ok this next trick that I am going to perform is called prophet." sure we have our own styles in performing our craft but this one I say is not in my books.. how bout you guys?

woooaooo, I think it is a bad thing to do friend, what if the spectator is curios about the trick? he just types "prophet magic trick" and boom there you have 183029 pages in google that contain that name....

It also looks like your friend has 0 performance skills and justs presents them as.. well, tricks, but things like prophet and panic and a lot of tricks(in fact all of them) are worth a lot more than just "hey look at this other trick, it is called "stigmata")

I hate that kind of performances, give him a slap in the face for me.

Have a nice day!:D

Oct 24, 2007
Well, I agree with RDChopper. It's really not a good idea to state what trick your performing and there are several reasons.

First, as RDChopper stated, that gives the spectator the name of the trick so that they can easily find it. Which, with youtube exposure and everything, IS NOT GOOD.

Second, it's just not magical. I NEVER, let me say again, NEVER present what I'm doing as just a mere "trick". I actually sat down with some friends of mine that I've performed for and I asked them what they thought of when they heard the word "trick". Immediately, they answered "magic" of course, but then they went on to say words such as "puzzle". Magic should presented exactly as that, magic! Your magic just doesn't hit as hard if you present it as a trick and it has a name because you bought it somewhere. It's just not a good idea.

Tyler

P.S. Sorry if this seemed scatter brained. I'm typing as class is letting out. Peace!

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
to tell you the truth i never say the name of a trick because they might memorize the name and go find out how its done on youtube

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
As people have said before, there is probably no good that can come from saying the name of the trick. Honestly, there is no need for it (not saying that you do it, but your friend obviously).

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
In a very specific instance, I can see a made-up/generic name enhancing patter. That's it. If it serves no purpose in the context of the trick, that is, if it doesn't amaze or entertain, leave it out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results