Need Help with a Magic-themed Indoor Drumline Show

Jul 2, 2011
Californiaaa
My high school participates in Winter Percussion competitions, which–in the simplest terms I can think of–is basically a competition where groups of people with marching drums (you know...a drumline) perform coordinated movements, such walking around in different formations, behind a line of people playing mallet percussion instruments, e.g. xylophones, and the entire show is built around a particular theme. And each group is judged on two things: music and general effects.

Lately, by which I mean the past few years, my high school has been consistently getting low scores. Our players' skill in music is exceptional, but our shows are always lacking in general effects.

As a part of this percussion unit, I really want to see us succeed, and I had this silly yet somewhat plausible idea of combining my two favourite hobbies (that is, magic and percussion) into one really awesome show. However, to have a magic-themed percussion show, we would need to be able to perform some illusions. Due to the placement of audience members, any effects we perform would have to be completely angle-proof stage illusions.

I haven't yet pitched this idea to my band director, and I've been trying to work on making some gimmicks and whatnot, but I still need some effects. So my question is, do any of you theory11 community members know of any place that sells stage illusions that have virtually no angles of sensitivity, and don't cost a fortune? I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get on this.

And if anyone thinks this is very bad idea, feel free to let me know.

Nov 27, 2009
Check out Andrew Mayne's Illusion EFX for a decent shadow box that has no angle problems in the sense that you could do it surrounded, but some people wouldn't get the full effect. That's the only one I know of, but then again, I'm a close up guy.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
This isn't an illusion but as a closer you could pull a signed card from the inside of a drum. Literally shove your fist down through the drum. My mentor, Ed Ellis, does this at the conclusion of his magic / drum show.

Jul 2, 2011
Californiaaa
Thank you for the responses!
I'm kind of sceptical about Illusion EFX...but I'll definitely take another look at it.
I don't think my band director would approve of any plan that involves smashing fists through drumheads, haha.
A square circle production...sounds interesting. I'll check that out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results