Nervous and in sticky situation.

so just today it was the end of the marking period and i was really tired and didnt want to learn in class so i did a bunch of magic tricks in class. they were all close up and then i just kept doing them bcuz every1 was hooked. the teacher then calls me and tells me to do the talent show this feb. 27 2010. i said ok to not be a disappointment. Now like i said im a close up guy and im working on stage. are there any good visual stage tricks that are simple and easy like thread. they dont have to be from T11 they could be from any site i wood appreciate help if any

-Wooj

May 18, 2008
Haha, I KNOW you are going to get flamed for, "Not wanting to learn"...

Regardless, DEFINITELY wanna look into Andrew Mayne's stuff. Cheap, MOST of the time easy, and great for stage.

Joshua Jay also has some really good parlour type tricks in his DVD set, Close-Up, Up-Close.

Hope that helps!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
There are...but there are other options.

Go to whoever is going to be running the talent show and ask the school to provide projectors and a live-feed camera. If your school doesn't have the needed items then maybe someone can help out, but get someone to film the magic and then it will be projected larger.

To help this out, get a few people on stage (2 is fine) to watch 'up-close' to see the magic and help out (selecting cards and such) and that way the audience has someone to help gauge their response.

Not really sure what is out there that is large enough for stage but easy enough to learn in a month, maybe some others can help you. The problem is stage performance and close-up performance are completely different things, so not just learning an effect, learning how to play to an audience that isn't right in front of you.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would do exactly what foolzsight said if I were in your shoes. I would use my normal killer close up routine and have live camera feed to a projector and screen, two participants on stage. This is what they do at big conventions, Blackpool, etc.

yes do YOUR stuff maybe card to mouth... you know the one the comes OUT of your mouth ... not hanging out of your mouth u know??

david stone does one that come OUT of your mouth and there is another popular one idk who made it..

good luck

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
There are so many factors to this.
Could you perhaps give us a bit more info on this talent show?
1. How big is the venue
2. How many people
3. What tools/equipment do you have
4. How long do you have

For a talent show... If you really want to stick with close up, I would just have to suggest the projector thing. For this, I wouldnt go for a very interactive trick. Interactive tricks usually require a lot of movement and talking, which I dont think a camera would follow very well. Perhaps a silent routine which is pure visual. Backtracked with music, well executed sleights, and a confident persona will work very well.
If not... Give some parlour mentalism a try. Perform 1 powerful trick that has audience interaction. Perhaps... Tossed Out Deck? Easy, powerful, audience engagement. Or... Psychokinetic Touches... Simple, powerful, amazing from everyone's point of view. Or... Tony Clark's In&Out Rope Escape? Easy, comical, audience engagement.
I would stay away from geek magic as... usually it is small scale and with a large audience, people wouldnt see properly. I performed a needle swallowing routine on stage back in January 2009 and it only barely worked.

Jan 15, 2010
projector idea is good.

For some tricks you could do, are, twisting the aces, Asher twist or even triumph? hope these helps.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
There is a video of a kid doing thread in front of his school audience at a talent show. Haha do thread, do it!! It's like a "close up effect" (which you are a close up kind of guy) on stage! Fits you :D If you milk Thread for all it's worth you don't need to multiple things. Less is more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results