New Effect Image

Jun 4, 2008
Please comment on my effect.The magician takes a selected,signed,examined card and tears it into four peices(its not what you think)then he places the peices onthe deck and looks at them and points out the way he tore the card.That if he was realy good he could "tear "the IMAGE.So the magician takes the peices and the spectator can even hold them as he makes a tearing motion.They then turn over the pieces and their BLANK the ImAGE has been invisibly "torn off".Please tell me if marketed would you buy?What do you think?

Sep 4, 2007
I think it's a good idea, but it sort of sounds like you're ripping off BeLieve. This may not be what you were trying to do but you did a damn good job of it.

Please comment on my effect.The magician takes a selected,signed,examined card and tears it into four peices(its not what you think)then he places the peices onthe deck and looks at them and points out the way he tore the card.That if he was realy good he could "tear "the IMAGE.So the magician takes the peices and the spectator can even hold them as he makes a tearing motion.They then turn over the pieces and their BLANK the ImAGE has been invisibly "torn off".Please tell me if marketed would you buy?What do you think?

I'm sorry but, I really do not understand the effect past, tearing the card into pieces.

-RA69

Dec 13, 2007
theres got to be some sort of a finale

what happens to the signed card after it turns blank?

and also... i don't see why you have to rip it... does it have something to do with the method or you thought just because

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, you have to think about the laymans thought process, how different would it seem to them to just having 4 blank pieces fingerpalmed, talking the torn pieces and doing a shuttle pass, or even just talking a card and doing a color change to a blank card.

It sounds cool to do to your magician friends or something though.

Toad

Banned
May 28, 2008
it would be cool to have the card blank but have the signature remain on it.

Dec 13, 2007
it would be cool to have the card blank but have the signature remain on it.

that sounds like a fine idea... maybe you can make like a carbon printing blank card or something

but yeah... i don't see how this would be that much different from having a signed card and then performing a color change

Oct 6, 2007

Okay. Sorry to be harsh. But take this as a heads up.

To answer your question:

No, I wouldn't buy this, and I don't think 99.9% of 'magicians' would. Number 1: the description of the effect, is as bad as a monkey explaining it.
Number 2: It sounds like another attempt at a TnR.
Number 3: I DONT GET THE EFFECT (it also doesn't sound good.)

Sorry, kid, but you've got A LOT to learn about magic. (Assuming you're new with 1 post).

One of the first rules in magic: Creating an effect doesn't mean it will make you money. And neither is magic ABOUT money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
We are not your focus group. If an effect is marketable, that means you've been using it for years with consistent results.
Lol, I don't get magicians obsessions with massive legnths of time, you don't need to do an effect for years to be able to see if it's good, you can normally tell within a few weeks. This isn't to say that you should think up a trick and sell it the same day, but it's almost gotten to the point where the ammount of time a magician practices/works an effect is getting to be a bragging right, especially with things like passes.

Sep 1, 2007
Lol, I don't get magicians obsessions with massive legnths of time, you don't need to do an effect for years to be able to see if it's good, you can normally tell within a few weeks.

Do you think you could have worked it to be as good as it possibly can be inside of a few weeks?

Do you have any idea how long it takes to develop routines like Justin Miller's Silver Dream? How about Docc Hilford's "Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper"? Rick Maue's Fate? Do you think Paul Gertner put out Steel and Silver the same year he came up with his variation on the cups and balls?

It's not about bragging rights, it's about dedication. The market is filled with plenty of mediocre products already. The real gems are the ones the creator has taken great pains to perfect.

Sep 1, 2007
A lot of effects need time to be perfected, but some have a lot of time put into them for the sake of it.

Plus I'm sure Justin Miller started talking and sharing the idea of Silver Dream with other magicians the month he thought up of it, just because it's not perfect doesn't mean he can't discuss it.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
A lot of effects need time to be perfected, but some have a lot of time put into them for the sake of it.

Plus I'm sure Justin Miller started talking and sharing the idea of Silver Dream with other magicians the month he thought up of it, just because it's not perfect doesn't mean he can't discuss it.

True, but marketing and discussing are two completely different things. Feel free to show your friends and fellow magicians something new you're working on. I know I do. But when it comes to deciding when to market an effect, a few weeks just isn't enough.

In order to come up with a solid, marketable routine, you need to test the effect out over a long period of time. This comes from experience. I've had effects where I thought they were as good as they could get, but then I would find a sleight or something that would improve the routine.

In short, You will always be able to improve on your own creations. It's a fact of life. In the process of creation, you will usually go through 3 or 4 different incarnations of the same effect, each one topping the last.

An effect can really prove itself by lasting for years in one incarnation.

David

Jun 4, 2008
Thanks

Thanks guys for commenting. I am thinking on finales and I am not new to magic,I apoligize english is not up my alley(apparently) .This is a powerful effect and I am not ripping off believe .This has great potential and its workable for the real world. And oh yeah Jay Noblezada liked the idea. I will keep working .God Bless.

Sep 1, 2007
Florida.
If an effect is marketable, that means you've been using it for years with consistent results.

The length of time you have done an effect plays no role in its marketability whatsoever.

Would you stay away from an effect that has only been performed for 6 months by a professional magician, compared to one that has been performed for 1 year?

It shouldn't make a difference.

Sep 1, 2007
Would you stay away from an effect that has only been performed for 6 months by a professional magician, compared to one that has been performed for 1 year?

I'd ask more questions and approach more cautiously. Time is the ultimate test of something's value.

Dec 13, 2007
I don't think he was planning on marketing an effect... Perhaps he was just wondering if it met that standard...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results