New guy. Wanna get into magic

Nov 3, 2011
Recently i have been watched a tv series called dynamo magician impossible and it really got me into magic. i want to learn some trick to shock and amaze my friends and just random passers by.i have really always loved magic but never took the leap and actually tried.if any one on this forum can tell me what to do per say or what i can buy to start out.

from london

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Recently i have been watched a tv series called dynamo magician impossible and it really got me into magic. i want to learn some trick to shock and amaze my friends and just random passers by.i have really always loved magic but never took the leap and actually tried.if any one on this forum can tell me what to do per say or what i can buy to start out.

The link Chris W posted is good, and I second his recommendation of Royal Road to Card Magic. If you want to just get started on handling cards and learning basic moves check out the Academy on Dan and Dave's site: http://www.dananddave.com/learn/media/

Royal Road to Card Magic is great to start with, Card College can be a little daunting at first. Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of Magic or Joshua Jay's Magic: The Complete Course are also great books for the beginner. Those should both be available on Amazon.com

Feb 7, 2011
Welcome to the forums! All the advice you need is right here.

With that said, all the advice so far has been spot on, im more of a card college fan if you're looking to start with cards though. Mark wilson's complete course in magic is great for all the fundamentals, not just with cards. I think you should also go to dan and daves academy and see the card basics, you may be the first complete beginner to use it,(i cant imagine too many complete beginners would be on dan and dave's site straight away) it would be interesting to see how you get on.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
I took the leap, as you say, only a couple of weeks ago. I bought Mark Wilsons complete course in magic due to a recommendation right here on this forum. It's a great book and along with some of the tricks on this site I think I'm actually starting to get somewhere now. Here's what I have been learning this week. It's still rough, but I've impressed myself so far, and I'm well and truely HOOKED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiyujYnaozM

Hope you have as much fun as I'm having!!!

I took the leap, as you say, only a couple of weeks ago. I bought Mark Wilsons complete course in magic due to a recommendation right here on this forum. It's a great book and along with some of the tricks on this site I think I'm actually starting to get somewhere now. Here's what I have been learning this week. It's still rough, but I've impressed myself so far, and I'm well and truely HOOKED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiyujYnaozM

Hope you have as much fun as I'm having!!!

Good work for starting a few weeks ago! The glide was about the only card sleight I knew for like the first few months I started learning magic. Keep it up!

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
cheers.

I appologise, I just kinda realised I may have unwittingly tried to take over someone elses thread with my post, so I've started a new one of my own. lol.

Jun 1, 2009
Also look into Bobo's Modern Coin magic or Metal by Eric Jones for coin stuff, most of the advice has been just cards haha. But Mark Wilson and Joshua Jay are great for magic with other items. Good luck!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Also look into Bobo's Modern Coin magic or Metal by Eric Jones for coin stuff
Comments like these are why I think you should visit either of the major magic shops in London (or visit a magic club). Having only just started you probably don't know exactly what kind of magic you want to try, or at least try first. Going to one of the shops and asking for demonstrations of tricks will give you a better idea and it should save you from wasting money too.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
yes try to expand to something more than just card magic,EVERYONE does it way too much. I suggest going to a half price bookstore and finding some cheap books that have a general overview of magic. When you see the trick and how its done,do not be disappointed by the method. Sometimes people find out how the trick is done and feel the trick is childish or stupid. Your perspective is going to be way different from your audience. and practice before you perform.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
I've been having this debate with myself for a while after reading Mark wilsons complete course. What would audiences think of the good old fasioned vanishing silk routine these days? It's obviously quite old fashioned but is that what an audience are going to think? I suppose it could be made a little more modern if you use some imagination, but is it worth begginers like me trying these tricks and even testing them out on people?

Obviously with the newer more extravegant magic thats around these days, the old silk tricks seem a little 'childish'

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results