Newish to Card Magic - First 'live' performance in a couple of weeks

Dec 10, 2019
Hi, I'm Robert. And I got into card magic a couple of years ago when I turned 50.

So Penn and Teller: Fool Us was what ended up hooking me on Card Magic. And a number of Youtubers who perform and then teach their tricks. I've done one off tricks for friends and family, and have gotten some amazing reactions (the best so far has been "Muscle Reading" from Roberto Giobbi's "Card College Light" - had a friend who also does some card magic at an amateur level looking for the camera which he thought must have seen his selection).

I've gone through Giobbi's Card College, Volume 1 once and am going through it again before moving on to Volume 2. I've practiced a number of different tricks (self working and simple sleights).

But I'm now working on my first 'mini routine'. It ends with Woody Aragon's Sepragon combo of Luis Trueba's Oil and Water + climax of showing a previously shuffled deck having separated into red and black. I really liked the Sepragon method, and wanted to end with this sequence, but I wasn't a huge fan of the trick he used to get into the finale (mostly because I'm not super confident in my 'forces' or in my patter going through a whole deck while pretending I'm using my memorization skills to figure out which card the spectator took and put on the table).

So I remembered a trick in Giobbi's Card College - "Thot Echo" which I thought would work and I've been practicing the whole routine:

1) Thot Echo - using Sepragon while finding the spectators' cards,
2) Luis Trueba's Oil and water
3) Climax of the deck from Thot Echo now being perfectly separated also by red and black

I'm generally pleased with the flow and will debut it at a small party held by friends for Yalda Night/Winter Solstice. Fingers crossed!

Sep 30, 2021
www.youtube.com
Hi, I'm Robert. And I got into card magic a couple of years ago when I turned 50.

So Penn and Teller: Fool Us was what ended up hooking me on Card Magic. And a number of Youtubers who perform and then teach their tricks. I've done one off tricks for friends and family, and have gotten some amazing reactions (the best so far has been "Muscle Reading" from Roberto Giobbi's "Card College Light" - had a friend who also does some card magic at an amateur level looking for the camera which he thought must have seen his selection).

I've gone through Giobbi's Card College, Volume 1 once and am going through it again before moving on to Volume 2. I've practiced a number of different tricks (self working and simple sleights).

But I'm now working on my first 'mini routine'. It ends with Woody Aragon's Sepragon combo of Luis Trueba's Oil and Water + climax of showing a previously shuffled deck having separated into red and black. I really liked the Sepragon method, and wanted to end with this sequence, but I wasn't a huge fan of the trick he used to get into the finale (mostly because I'm not super confident in my 'forces' or in my patter going through a whole deck while pretending I'm using my memorization skills to figure out which card the spectator took and put on the table).

So I remembered a trick in Giobbi's Card College - "Thot Echo" which I thought would work and I've been practicing the whole routine:

3) Climax of the deck from Thot Echo now being perfectly separated also by red and black

I'm generally pleased with the flow and will debut it at a small party held by friends for Yalda Night/Winter Solstice. Fingers crossed!
All are great tricks! Best of luck!

Reactions: MrM3511

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Great to see that you have picked up this wonderful hobby. Despite what anyone may say. It is NEVER too late to pick up a deck of cards and start practicing. I'm 36 years old and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Best of luck to you!!

Jul 5, 2015
Another one you might like to try: Tamariz's "Neither Blind Nor Stupid" (taught in Giobbi's "Card College Light") also ends with the red and black cards separated.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Robert, welcome to the forums. I like the thought you put into the routine. My only thought is that you could do Giobbi's Intuition from Card College Light as the climax? "Let's see if you can do this with the whole deck...."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results