Nexus by Kevin Parker

Sep 2, 2007
London
The Nexus Product Page - Buy It Here

NEXUS BY KEVIN PARKER - REVIEW

The Effect

A borrowed ring visually melts onto a borrowed keyring, is pulled against the side of the keyring to show it is really linked, then visually melts off.

What You Get

Nexus consists of a fifteen minute tutorial video, with some live performance clips at the beginning and Mr Parker's explanation. There isn't really much in the way of production value, the video having more of a home-made quality to it, but that's not really a criticism. After all, its all about the knowledge being imparted, and the workings are shown close-up and clearly, so what more production value do you need than that?

FAQ

1.Are there any gimmicks?

No. Both the ring and the keyring can be borrowed and/or examined, and nothing else is required.

2.What are the angles like?

Pretty close to perfect. The original effect has one tiny bad angle, but Kevin has filmed an "upgrade" which allows the effect to be performed close-up and surrounded. The upgrade is included with the download automatically, and if you buy the DVD, you just have to contact Kevin for him to send you it free.

3. Can the ring and keyring be handed out in their linked condition?

That isn't taught in the tutorial, but given some audience management and the right environment I think it's possible to come up with a solution. Kevin thinks that spectator examination of the keyring after a melt-on/melt-off is more powerful than an examination after a melt-on alone since there are two melts in the former with no trace on the keyring as to how you did it.

4. How hard is it?

For the startlingly visual effect that you get, I would rate this very easy. There's one move, that's it. I would say the move could be mastered in a single practice session, but in terms of making the whole presentation smooth enough to perform for laymen without suspicion it will, of course, take longer.

Overall

Given that the whole effect is achieved with one move, I think Mr Parker has come up with something brilliant. It ticks pretty much every box for a modern close-up routine: uses borrowed objects, gimmick-free, visual, and quick. The teaching is clear and concise, and the effect is practical and well within the difficulty range of pretty much any performing magician.

The Nexus Product Page - Buy It Here

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results