NLP... Help?

Sep 1, 2007
There are numerous books to learn from, though personally I find NLP to a crock. It's a pseudo-science combining basic linguistic science with New Age crap.

I would recommend actually starting out with some of Kenton Knepper and Docc Hilford's work to get a feel for verbal deception and the concept of trance states. Suggested:

The Ball and Tube
Miracles of Suggestion
Wonder Words
Band of the Hand

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
And as always, I'm going to suggest Derren Brown's "Tricks of the Mind".

He touches on it a bit, but believe me, a touch is more than enough.

Spending gobs of money for lessons and books is just throwing your money in the gutter.

Jan 3, 2008
Minnesota
thanks. i have some Kenton Knepper (only 2 things....dont have wonder words tho...) I have Derren Browns Absolute Magic. where can i get Tricks of the Mind? i have Devils Picturebook too. if you know where to find any Derren Brown Products let me know. i have Psychological Subtlies (sp?) but i dont have the 2nd one...i heard there was a 2nd but not sure. i love mentalism but i am very much into the kind that includes influence actually reading ppl cuz i developed a LOT and understand ppl a lot and use psychology when reading ppl and sometimes i can genuinely read ppl. now im jus tryna get further into this with NLP and Hypnosis ect. im very much interested. Also interested in Instant Inductions. if you guys can help me find info i would be VERY grateful...

sorry its so long....RECAP psych stuff, NLP, hypnosis, Instant Inductions, anything like that i am very interested in. i remember sharin a few of my own tricks and things before including impromptu card thru window (not Kaos) and without props and i havent asked for much really so any info yall provide i really appreciate. thanks

Aug 31, 2007
UK
NLP isn't just a fly-by-night operation, it will take alot of work and alot of dedication, remember it's not just another magic trick, it's a science.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Steerpike is absolutely correct. NLP doesn't take a lot of dedication. The basic stuff of NLP is all you need to know. The rest of it is goobledegook.

Look, you said you have Kenton Knepper's Two Things, and Derren Browns Absolute Magic and Devil's Picturebook (You dog. I'm dieing to get that.....)

"Tricks of the Mind" is just a book you can get at Amazon. You can't get it in the US version of Amazon, only in the UK version.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tricks-Mind...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213105741&sr=1-1

That's all the NLP training you need. Anything else, you're just tossing away cash.

Let Me Tell you a little about NLP And Hypnosis!

These are things you dont want to mess around!!!
With hypnosis you can mess up a humans consciousness that he/she can´t even move anymore! NLP the thing the others are talking about is the new stuff. The actual NLP is something so powerful that if you master it you can do wonders. Not by screwing with a humans mind but reading hes/hers thoughts!
I suggest you learn street, stage or geek magic first and stard using those things to go on to mentalism and then to NLP and Hypnosis!

Ive on the mentalism stage and im already doing a little NLP.

Mr.MadMan aka Mikk Pärg

Sep 1, 2007
With hypnosis you can mess up a humans consciousness that he/she can´t even move anymore! NLP the thing the others are talking about is the new stuff. The actual NLP is something so powerful that if you master it you can do wonders. Not by screwing with a humans mind but reading hes/hers thoughts!

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. NLP practitioners have tricked themselves into thinking they're bloody superheroes. Ross Jeffries actually claims he can reach out and touch people across the room with his "psychic tendrils".

In regards to hypnosis, you cannot put someone into a trance state if they do not wish it. Actual hypnosis, as practiced by medical professionals, hinges entirely on the mutual cooperation between therapist and patient. You cannot control someone's mind, period.

NLP is a pseudo-science that takes basic linguistic science, and perhaps a dash of semniotics and fodder from a 1000 level community college psych course, and then heaps on a mountain of fruity New Age crap.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. NLP practitioners have tricked themselves into thinking they're bloody superheroes. Ross Jeffries actually claims he can reach out and touch people across the room with his "psychic tendrils".

In regards to hypnosis, you cannot put someone into a trance state if they do not wish it. Actual hypnosis, as practiced by medical professionals, hinges entirely on the mutual cooperation between therapist and patient. You cannot control someone's mind, period.

NLP is a pseudo-science that takes basic linguistic science, and perhaps a dash of semniotics and fodder from a 1000 level community college psych course, and then heaps on a mountain of fruity New Age crap.

Steerpike is absolutely correct. Don't fall into the "supernatural" trap. I've been doing hypnosis for nearly twenty years and have been doing stage hypnosis for about eight years.

I did have some books and read articles on NLP. You know what? 99% of it is hype and nonsense. All you really need to know about NLP is in Derren Brown's book "Tricks of the Mind".

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I have never understood why alot of magicians wants to learn NLP and hypnosis lately. Its not that usefull for us anyways.

You cant do things derren brown does etc, Derren brown actually uses alot of classic mentalism dressed up as something else.

I performed for acouple of NLP teachers awhile ago.

The effect i did was that i had a broken watch, i did set it at a time and i did put the watch in a drawer, gave my wallet to one of them and asked them to put it in their pocket.

As we keept talking i asked them to say stop at the time i thought that i had set the time to, he said stop at 17.45 and he took out the broken watch from the drawer and the watch said 17.45, the other guy took out my wallet and oppened it and there was a post it note in it wich said You will say stop at 17.45.

They just freaked out and begged me to learn them my NLP techniques, since then i lost respect for NLP.

There were no NLP, just a classic mentalism effect.

Sep 1, 2007
I did have some books and read articles on NLP. You know what? 99% of it is hype and nonsense. All you really need to know about NLP is in Derren Brown's book "Tricks of the Mind".

Sadly, I think you and I are largely being ignored because the truth isn't sexy enough.

You cant do things derren brown does etc, Derren brown actually uses alot of classic mentalism dressed up as something else.

Give the man a prize. Derren Brown has never explicitly claimed to use NLP to accomplish his effects. In effect, it's Derek Dingle's pass all over again, and the magic community is falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

They just freaked out and begged me to learn them my NLP techniques, since then i lost respect for NLP.

Sadly, this story really isn't all that unusual. NLP enthusiasts seem to have tricked themselves into thinking that their pseudo-science can literally do everything. It's depressing.

Jan 3, 2008
Minnesota
believe me i read every response.

haha i havent tricked myself into this im sorry it came off as this. i been doin magic awhile and usin pysch, the mentalism i have, plus jus me bein able to connect with ppl easily can accomplish half of what Derren Brown can do lol. let me correct what i said earlier

i been doin magic for years, moved into mentalism, and everything else. see, i aint tryna learn NLP for some super trick lol. but i LOVE PSYCHOLOGY i am the only student my high school teacher ever had back in the day to get over 100% in psych. i will never do hypnosis cuz i know how to imitate it. i know this aint some amazing crap but i wanna learn more than i know. i WILL SIFT THRU the bs and basic of NLP. the reason i wanna learn about this is cuz im legitimately interested about it. not cuz i wanna be supernatural.

btw Devil's Picturebook = best buy i ever made in the magic community EVER. i LOVE IT. if you aint know where to find it i will tell ya in a PM or somethin cuz its password protected. you can only get it directly from DB unless its ebay or somethin. holla at me if you need the info

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
The best place out right now to learn hypnosis for an affordable price is www.easystagehypnosis.com

You will learn it and do it quickly!

$147.00????

That's waaay too high. This is exactly what I mean. That's just amazingly high.

Trickshop.com has an e-book for $12.95 which is an excellent start for beginners of stage hypnosis. http://www.trickshop.com/hypnosis.html

The hardest part of stage hypnosis for me was understanding the business end of it. I got a lot of that from "The Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis" from Ormond McGill.

NLP I learned from another e-book that had a complete course in it for -- ready -- $12.95!!! (I have to find the link. Once I do, I will post it).

Sadly, I think you and I are largely being ignored because the truth isn't sexy enough.

Agreed, Steerpike.

Honest to whatever, the real secret to hypnosis and NLP is basically first and foremost confidence and suggestibility.

Sep 2, 2007
London
If you've got the confidence to do it, try this: Walk up to someone, tell them you're a hypnotist and get their permission to try something with them. Then just suddenly snap your fingers in front of their face and tell them to "SLEEP" in a commanding tone. Although it won't work every time, quite often this is all it takes to put someone "under". There's nothing supernatural about it, it's just quite simply you telling someone to do something in a persuasive enough way to convince them that they should do it.

Sep 4, 2007
ugh. I cringe everytime I see the NLP hype.

Very glad Steerpike and OwnerM have been trying to set the record straight so to speak.

I myself have been a hypnotist for 10 years now, much longer than I have been practicing magic.

Everything these two mentioned above is absolutely true and should be read thrice in order to absorb what should be obvious. If that doesn't work feel free to smack your head against a door frame 4 or 5 times as that will be just as productive as treading into the depths of NLP.

OwnerM suggested some great sources above. As well as his I also recommend looking into subliminalscience.com
They put out some great stuff for beginners as well as the more advanced practitioners so there is something for everyone.

Originally Posted by Mr.MadMan

I know Steerpike already commented on this but I can't resist. Please refrain from making asinine comments that reflect nothing intelligent about something you know absolutely nothing about.

It takes very little research to educate yourself on the truth so don't turn an ignorent eye on a well established and written about science such as hypnosis.

urban

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results