Nobody likes magic

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
The New Year started and my New Year's commitment was to perform more to strange people. And I am performing very often.

But I have a big problem - NO ONE wants to see my magic. In my country people are very demure, reservedly (I don't know what these words mean), they don't like anything new. If you ask them something, first they will say no, and just after that they will listen to you. Almost always when I was going out to show some magic there was like 1 spectator out of 4 that wants to see magic, but yesterday I asked 25 people (I was counting) and just once showed my magic.

That's why I thought that, maybe I am doing something wrong. What I do: I take my cards out, walk to a person and I am saying - do you wanna see magic trick? And I am good dressed and I am always smiling.
Maybe I should wear magicians hat (trilby) or walk with wand...

Please give me some advice.
Thanks!

-Jebzy

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Well, for one, I would be weirded out too if a random stranger approached my family and I and asked if I would like to see a magic trick. (if I wasn't a magician)

One approach would be to have the people come to you. More like a busking situation where you would have a close up table set up somewhere and people see that you are providing some type of entertainment. This way they are choosing if they want to come see magic or not.

Quick question. Where are you asking these people? Are they in a restaurant? A park? On the street? In a mall?

Next question. How old are you? Your age and appearance really play into what is non-threatening to a stranger.

Another key point to keep in mind is just because WE all enjoy magic doesn't mean that EVERYONE else does. We have to be okay with people telling us NO, they don't want to see magic. Maybe they had a bad prior experience where a bad magician / entertainer put them on the spot or made them feel bad.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I am almost 18 years old (five days left :D).
In my country now are really cold, so I perform in the supermarkets, hall's, mall, cinema, mini-shops, basically anywhere where are people.

I have never tried busking, and I don't have a good place for that, because in outside is really cold, and in the mall it is not allowed.

Apr 17, 2013
The New Year started and my New Year's commitment was to perform more to strange people. And I am performing very often.

But I have a big problem - NO ONE wants to see my magic. In my country people are very demure, reservedly (I don't know what these words mean), they don't like anything new. If you ask them something, first they will say no, and just after that they will listen to you. Almost always when I was going out to show some magic there was like 1 spectator out of 4 that wants to see magic, but yesterday I asked 25 people (I was counting) and just once showed my magic.

That's why I thought that, maybe I am doing something wrong. What I do: I take my cards out, walk to a person and I am saying - do you wanna see magic trick? And I am good dressed and I am always smiling.

Thanks!

-Jebzy

This is what I have been talking about. "Street" magic was never a real thing. It is what David Blaine did for his TV special. No one really wants to be bugged by someone coming up to them asking if they want to see some magic or a trick. People really do not want some strange man coming up to their kids and asking it.

I would suggest talking to hospitals and libraries about doing magic for the sick and for the after school programs. It lets you get use to working for people and it is performing for people who are willing to watch.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
This is what I have been talking about. "Street" magic was never a real thing.
I think that you are wrong. In the USA and England people are more attractive, just in my country they don't talk much and they don't do much. :D

P.S. I like my country.

Apr 17, 2013
I think that you are wrong. In the USA and England people are more attractive, just in my country they don't talk much and they don't do much. :D

P.S. I like my country.

No not wrong. When before the Blaine special street magic was busking. There were never random teens and 20 somethings coming up to random strangers asking if they want to see magic. People in the USA really don;t want to be bugged but most are polite enough not to tell them to take a hike.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
Maybe you are true, but now, in these days there out are a lot of street magician's. And I am asking them this question, maybe I should say something different or wear something else.
I am little scared about busking, because first I don't know how actually I should do that, and second I know it is illegal.

Apr 17, 2013
Maybe you are true, but now, in these days there out are a lot of street magician's. And I am asking them this question, maybe I should say something different or wear something else.
I am little scared about busking, because first I don't know how actually I should do that, and second I know it is illegal.

To busk you call city and ask about a permit. Just because there are a lot of street magicians (which there really aren't) doesn't mean people want to be bugged. I use to busk and do street fairs. I was performing magic before the "street" magic thing started. I can tell you from what I have seen in three different states in five or six different cities people do not liked to be bugged by strangers in public. Doesn't matter if you are going to do magic or trying to get them to donate money.

Now how to busk. Again call and get you street performance permit. Get a small table that you can carry with you. download the Gazo Lecture from Penguin on getting a crowd. Don't forget to pass the hat.

Apr 17, 2013
And it;s not that people do not like magic. They just like their privacy more.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I will do that, but in my opinion that is much harder that just go to a stranger and show them a magic. It's not a long time ago when I first time performed magic for a stranger.

I will definitely buy this Gazzo lecture (I am big fan of Gazzo).

And I know what I am going to do... I have an idea. I will go to a mall director and I will ask him for permission to busking, because I can't perform outside, it is really cold. Do you think he will allow me to do that? I am always scared about asking for a money, because I am a teen, and why I should ask for a money.

Thanks for help.

Apr 17, 2013
I was 18 when I started working a paid performer. It is more of a skill level over age when it comes to getting people to give you mnoey. You could ask about maybe setting up in the food court or by one of the fountains or bench areas. Places where people are stopping. not in a place where you would impede the flow of traffic.

As for harder to go up to random strangers than pitching a crowd? No, it is much harder to get people to stop. To take time to watch you. The big difference is you are no longer invading their time but getting them to want to give you their time. That is much harder. It is more rewarding as well. Because now you know they wanted to see magic. It wasn't forced onto them

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
Now I will definitely learn how to do busking, but first I will try to dress up like a magician, and then go to people. I really like street magic, actually I like every part of magic.

Thanks a lot!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

Thanks!

-Jebzy

First - I agree with Krabs. Many people don't like to be disturbed in their day. Even if they don't seem busy, you're breaking them out of the plan for the day and many people don't want that. Even though I am a performing magician I wouldn't want someone to just walk up to me and make me watch him do magic. You're starting out with a confrontational attitude because you're stopping them from what they're doing which automatically makes them think "What's this guy want?"

If you want to perform for random strangers, change your approach. I think your biggest problem (After Krabs' points) are that you lead with your prop and a trick. This is what I call "Magic instead of a personality". Try talking to these people first. Have a conversation and then steer it toward magic so you can perform. Get them liking you first, then show them something cool.

Ever since Blaine made it big people think they can just walk up and say, "Hey, watch this" and everyone will adore them. Not the case. First off, Blaine is actually a really talented guy who is really good at connecting with people and gaining rapport immediately. People want to see him perform. Further, you're not seeing the entirety of what he's doing. Yes, they occasionally show him walk up to someone and perform, but usually what you see is him walk up to someone, then they cut out the time he spends talking to them and getting to know them a bit, then they have the performance. Because including all of that would make crap TV. Very few people would want to see that.

Stop worrying about the external things like hats and wands and just learn to interact with people on a real level before you shove your hobby in their face.

Apr 17, 2013
To expand on the point made by Chrisopher...

I use to do a ton of strolling work in restaurants. I would never walk up to a table and pull out the rubber bands or silk. I would come up the the table introduce myself ask how their evening was going. If they needed anything or if they needed something else to drink. Then tell them I was the house magician and offer some magic while they waited for their food. Now I wouldn't approach a table that looked like they were not in the mood to be bothered, or if they were already deep into a conversation.

Sep 1, 2007

P.S. I like my country.

Bull. ****. I live in the US and in a city with a notoriously conservative business climate. When I was still a busker, I lost count of the number of self-righteous douchebags telling me get a real job or calling either my parentage or sexual orientation into question. Sometimes I had a table, sometimes it was strolling. But I always made sure I was doing something that caused people to come to me. I never approached cold. You know why David Blaine could do that? Because he had a camera crew following him around. Does a lot to enhance your credibility and make you look like less of a creeper.

And I know what I am going to do... I have an idea. I will go to a mall director and I will ask him for permission to busking, because I can't perform outside, it is really cold.

What's in it for him?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
To expand on the point made by Chrisopher...

I use to do a ton of strolling work in restaurants. I would never walk up to a table and pull out the rubber bands or silk. I would come up the the table introduce myself ask how their evening was going. If they needed anything or if they needed something else to drink. Then tell them I was the house magician and offer some magic while they waited for their food. Now I wouldn't approach a table that looked like they were not in the mood to be bothered, or if they were already deep into a conversation.

Eugene Burger had a better idea. Instead of you doing the approaching, the wait staff does it for you. He said that it worked better because it got rid of the awkward element of approaching tables and it made what he does seem much more interesting. Also, it takes out the whole idea of people turning you down at the restaurant.

Apr 17, 2013
Eugene Burger had a better idea. Instead of you doing the approaching, the wait staff does it for you. He said that it worked better because it got rid of the awkward element of approaching tables and it made what he does seem much more interesting. Also, it takes out the whole idea of people turning you down at the restaurant.

I have done that at a few places. The more upscale places where the wait staff cared. Not saying that they don't care at chain places but less of them care. Know what i'm driving at?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I have done that at a few places. The more upscale places where the wait staff cared. Not saying that they don't care at chain places but less of them care. Know what i'm driving at?

Well I'm also talking about doing it at upscale places or small privately owned places. It's not something you HAVE to do, but it makes the job easier and the experience at the restaurant much less awkward. work smarter, not harder.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results