Nyuck...Nyuck...YUCK!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Mathew Dowden is an OK performer. He's got some decent effects and all but a lot of the tings he does have to be taken into context to where he is working. IE: that video was just him doing card effects on the streets and really most people are usually kind of ho-hum about card tricks. The other thing is that people tend to be reserved when they are on camera. Due to them not wanting to look like lunatics.

I am also pretty sure if you took guys like Daryl or Bill Malone out to the streets, they'd get the same type of reactions as well.

Mar 29, 2008
My point - even GREAT performers can use poor technique - and I don't think Daryl or Bill Malone would choose to use stooges in this manner. I thought that video highlighed all the issues with stooges: Bad acting. Poor reactions due to the "too perfect theory" - anyhow. I don't see what evidence there is saying she is an impromptu stooge? I also don't see any evidence that this guy is successful to the level that his example is what we should go by.

Randy - people on the street may be ho-hum about your card effects - but NOBODY is ho-hum about mine. I get stopped on the streets by people that ask to see a card trick. If you get ho-hums on the streets - perhaps it is not the people, but your effect selection. Consider looking for stornger material that plays in this venue.

Again, glad we brought this up - but a clip of a guy forcing a card and a random "acting" like a mind reader won't make me believe that what I wrote is off base...actually, I think it just made it more solid.

Did we even watch the same video?

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Just to throw into the mix that Luke Jermay has published a fair bit of material involving instant stooging, and, in fact, a variation of the original effect in question.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
My point - even GREAT performers can use poor technique - and I don't think Daryl or Bill Malone would choose to use stooges in this manner. I thought that video highlighed all the issues with stooges: Bad acting. Poor reactions due to the "too perfect theory" - anyhow. I don't see what evidence there is saying she is an impromptu stooge? I also don't see any evidence that this guy is successful to the level that his example is what we should go by.

Randy - people on the street may be ho-hum about your card effects - but NOBODY is ho-hum about mine. I get stopped on the streets by people that ask to see a card trick. If you get ho-hums on the streets - perhaps it is not the people, but your effect selection. Consider looking for stornger material that plays in this venue.

Again, glad we brought this up - but a clip of a guy forcing a card and a random "acting" like a mind reader won't make me believe that what I wrote is off base...actually, I think it just made it more solid.

Did we even watch the same video?

Actually that's pretty much impossible for them to be ho-hum about my card effects.. Due to the fact that I don't live in an area that has city streets and also because I don't perform on the streets.

Mar 29, 2008
Actually that's pretty much impossible for them to be ho-hum about my card effects.. Due to the fact that I don't live in an area that has city streets and also because I don't perform on the streets.

Then how can you state that people are "ho-hum" about cards? Is this to say you speak from a spot of inexperience and opinion, rather than any practical knowledge on how audience members think? Where do you get your wisdom that people are ho-hum on cards?

Just to throw into the mix that Luke Jermay has published a fair bit of material involving instant stooging, and, in fact, a variation of the original effect in question.

There are books on thimble magic, doesn't mean that the magic is a good idea. Actually, now I know the guy to blame! ha. I am going to search out this material, but I am certain it suffers the same fate. I just haven't seen it work well in over a decade, no matter who does it. Remember, this excludes stage performers, we are talking close up in small to medium groups, like table hopping.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
There are books on thimble magic, doesn't mean that the magic is a good idea. Actually, now I know the guy to blame! ha. I am going to search out this material, but I am certain it suffers the same fate. I just haven't seen it work well in over a decade, no matter who does it. Remember, this excludes stage performers, we are talking close up in small to medium groups, like table hopping.

The material I have encountered is in his book 3510. Whilst it is true that the majority of the effects are aimed towards a stage performance, there is at least one notable example of instant stooging in a close-up setting published in the material. You should check it out, and see if reading his thoughts change (or indeed strengthen) yours at all. Regardless, there's some good material in that book, and good ideas.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results