October 2008 :: Applying Your Skills

Dec 29, 2008
Colorado
This might be a strange, far off case...But where I had the ephinany of magic skills and everyday life was...beleive it or not...the deliberation on a jury. I had started in card magic about a year before the plesaurable experience of jury duty. I knew some slights very well...but performance was shaky to say the least, i had that wonderful anxiety that every rookie has.

However, in the deliberation room, there were still some peeps on the jury that were undecided if the defendant was guilty, all of the evidence was against him (shoplifting batteries was the charge). But the defendant only had one functioning arm.

Here is how i realized magic to everyday life. The case took about 6 hours to try. In that time period, we had some smoke breaks. During these smoke breaks, i would watch the defendant smoke cigarettes, he was very adept to using only one arm. I also thought I would give it a try. Well it is not really hard to get out a smoke and light it with one hand, but had to try anyway. So back in the deliberation room, it was my turn to speak up about the case. The anxiety was killing me, but then it just clicked in my head. (Performance and crowd control). I started making my point that it was possible for the defandet to easily steal the batteries out of the store. One of the jurors made the comment "he only has one good arm." Yes i said, but have you been outside while he smokes a cigarette? "no" was the answer I got. So, just out of instinct, i grabbed my pack of smokes out of my pocket (one handed), grabbed my lighter, put the smoke in my mouth and made the motion to light it. I told the jurors, "see how easy that was, and I am used to using two hands." Next I asked the one of the jurors to hand me a package of batteries similar to the actual package in question. They handed me the pack of batteres, I said "watch this," very easly (thanks to magic training) i was able to hold the battery package in one hand, spin it around to where i needed it, open the package with one hand, remove the batteries, crumble the package to dispose of it, and put the batteries in my pocket. All under wonderful angle management. Thus proving to the undecided jurors of guilt.

It was amusing, because during the deliberation, the defendant and his lawyer has met with the judge. He admited guilt for a plea bargin. But it was a moment that has stuck with and gave me loads of knolwede in dealing with people, public speaking, props, and situations.

Dec 29, 2008
GA
Before ever starting magic I was extremely afraid to walk up to a group of people and just talk. I am still today but a lot less. Other than being afraid I can misdirect some one pretty good in a non magic situation.

Jun 16, 2008
Germany
The things i learn in Magic DEFENETLY help me in every day situations.I had do to a presentation last week in front a lot of students.Thanks to magic I wasn´t nervous at all,I knew how to get their attention,I used bodylanuage,i talked freely and naturally.Everything in our lives kind of shapes us and so does magic.AND IT SHAPES ME A LOT !

Sep 23, 2008
Selma, NC
Magic has defintely helped with social skills. When I was younger I was very shy, but in doing magic I started being able to go up to anyone, and show them magic. Plus it's a lot easier to get out in front of crowds now.

With my first approach to Cerca Trova, I wanted to know if you ever use the skills that you have learned in magic in your everyday life. I don’t necessarily mean the physical techniques of sleight-of-hand, more along the lines of interpersonal skills. Some may use such skills subconsciously where others will find ways to consciously apply techniques to everyday situations.

As an example, I know that magic can offer a great deal of confidence when it comes to crowd-control or simply speaking out to a group; it can give you enough experience in social situations that confidence will help you approach absolutely anybody.

It will be good to see just how far magic can go beyond its very purpose, and just how many of us are aware of how much more than deception and subterfuge magic really is.

d+M
all throught school i was so introverted, it was terrible...when i started doing magic, it gave me a sheer confidence factor, not only am i now a more likable person, wow what can i say, i walk into certain stores, places, and even areas, i'm like a local celeb...

that motivates me to push myself harder and never let down the crowd....

if i may add, ever since more people know about me, the ladies dept. is like off the radar, i'm more of the catcher these days....so yeah....

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
I use the skills I acquired in magic to communicate better with crowds, groups of people, and just anybody. It gave me more confidence in front of people. I don't start shaking and get nervous in front of the class anymore. I enjoy being up in front now.

Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
Clearly the exponential increase in social skills and confidence building is a major part of what practicing the art of magic gives you, yet at the same time the physical extras are often just as noticeable, faster reflexes, the ability to think on your feet, all these are actually applicable life skills which you don't even realise you are learning.

Jan 10, 2008
Since I have been into magic, my confidence level is extremely high. I find it a lot easier to hold the attention of somebody I may happen to talk to and be more personable to them. Not to mention all the new friends I have made over the past three years.

The confidence that I have obtained from magic in my mind will enable be to impress and remain professional at a job interview if I ever need to find a new job one day.

I have also noticed that my hand to eye coordination is a whole lot better than it used to be, which is always a plus.

Actually, yes. The skills I've had to learn and cultivate in magic have been very useful to me in my everyday life. I'm sure you've heard the expression that something/ sometimes/ someone opens a new door to you for what ever the reason or experience? Well if you consider that in this metaphor that door they were talking about was previously unopened to you because it was locked and you couldn't open it yourself... then to use a similar metaphor, magic is the lock pick!

That's a hell of a long way to go to simply illustrate that magic is sort of the omni-tool that we all carry on our belt but it's true.

Audience Control & Management: Hello work environment. I'm very rarely ever caught in a public situation that I feel overwhelmed by everyone present. Even if the situation goes bad (a fight, a medical emergency, etc) I know how to get everyone focused on doing the one thing that would help that situation.

Charisma. Not just a dump stat, but a powerful tool in anyone's arsenal. (D&D joke.) Job interviews, booking auditions, acting auditions, even getting a discount off a check at the local restaurant, or upgrading to first class on a long flight across the country. Or knowing where to go for fun in a strange town, or what’s the best place to eat at. People love to talk to and engage with other interesting people. The more charismatic you are, the harder it is to not engage you, or not like you. People do favors for friends all the time! It's good to have a friend anywhere you go.

Reading People: After working with audiences for as long as I have in magic I've learned that I can read people quite well. I know a hey rube when I see one, I know a red one when I meet one, I know who would be most helpful to me in any situation, I can usually tell who’s lying to me, or who's trying to flirt with me even however so subtle. You learn to read body language in magic, you learn to watch and listen for audio and visual cues to know if a mark is a good person to use as a helper, and in real life, this ability transfers over real well.

Confidence: The confidence I've gotten from having to perform certainly has made me less afraid of dealing with people on a daily bases. Failure socially has very little meaning in my personal vocabulary. After having messed up a fire breathing trick on stage, anything social interaction wise just seems to pale in comparison.

I'm sure there are more, but those are just to name a few.

As far as I can tell it helped me read people much better. What type of audience member they may be can really help determine much more about that person.

Also I fake throw my debit card quite a bit into a tenkai palm and pretty much amaze restaurant workers like that often. They swear it disappeared or something but it appears back in my pocket, good stuff.

Oct 16, 2009
washington
Before performing magic for people,which ive been doing for 5 or 6 years now,i was always a shy child.Always kept to myself,and it wasnt necessarily because i was scared to approach people,but that i never knew what to say.And through magic i found the confidence to properly introduce myself to people young and old.And express myself more openly.
This year ive recently entered in theatre(this is my senior year)and my teachers and peers consider me a very good actor.Although most of my performances i base off of characters in most of my favorite films.Recently i applied daniel day lewis's character from THERE WILL BE BLOOD in an impromptu scene.
And i dont allow myself to say that i cannot accomplish something.not school-wise but physically enduring stuff that i know i wouldve given up on years ago.That is something
David Blaine helped me realize.

could not have said it better my self

Jul 27, 2014
I think in every social situation i get an opportunity to learn from people, specifically what people respond to. we live in a world where people are constantly sharing things that appeal to them. they show each other youtube videos, they quote movies, the talk about places they want to go... they are giving you ammunition you can use to make your performance something they truly want to be a part of... an very watered down example is when i perform the kissing card trick before i try to steal a kiss i ask her to imagine we are in paris or some other romantic city. i ask her to associate her senses with things she enjoys and day dreams about. the point I'm trying to get to is she's not just seeing a magic trick, instead she gets to hang out with a cool magician her wants to support and add to her fantasy of going to paris... even if she denies it and calls it corny, she is truly paying attention.

Dec 11, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
You know, I think it goes both ways. Before focusing on entertaining, I was a medical professional and I saw patients day in and day out, 12 hours a day. I had to gain their trust within minutes, cut through to their most personal details and get a feel for them; pain tolerance, mood, whether they tended to exaggerate or, often, downplay their injuries/illness. These skills improved my technique, especially as a mentalist, and as my performance technique was polished, so was my ability to build rapport with patients. I would actually recommend getting a job that deals with people, that requires interpersonal interaction, if performing and entertaining is merely a side-gig for you. Now that I no longer deal with the sick and injured, I spend a great deal of time in public places; cafes, restaurants, the library etc... I also rely heavily on public transportation and this gives me a great opportunity to watch many different people, see how they interact in short bursts, watch for limping, for coughing, whether they are guarded or open, how loud they talk and on and on.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results