One of The Single Greatest Effects I've Ever Seen

Sep 1, 2007
Florida
I was at a convention from November 2-4 and at this convention someone did one of the cleanest, most visual effects I've ever had the joy of wittnessing, and in person none the less.

This person was using a mini deck of cards and he had someone pick a card, the five of hearts, he found the card (how I can't remember), then someone else picked a card, the five of diamonds, the cards were lost in the deck and then he blew me away. He spread the mini deck on the table and then he reached over and turned the spread over part by part and as he did this the mini cards visually, I mean visually, changed to regular sized cards all except the selections.

At first when I saw this it didn't fully register what had just happened. I couldn't catch one slight not one move from my point of view it was flawless. I truly wish I had a chance to learn this, but either way it was incredible just to see it.

I was at a convention from November 2-4 and at this convention someone did one of the cleanest, most visual effects I've ever had the joy of wittnessing, and in person none the less.

This person was using a mini deck of cards and he had someone pick a card, the five of hearts, he found the card (how I can't remember), then someone else picked a card, the five of diamonds, the cards were lost in the deck and then he blew me away. He spread the mini deck on the table and then he reached over and turned the spread over part by part and as he did this the mini cards visually, I mean visually, changed to regular sized cards all except the selections.

At first when I saw this it didn't fully register what had just happened. I couldn't catch one slight not one move from my point of view it was flawless. I truly wish I had a chance to learn this, but either way it was incredible just to see it.

Wow, that sounds amazing. I wish I could've seen it myself. Try to search around youtube maybe you'll find a performance of it and you can see where to buy it.

-RA69

Oct 17, 2007
SG
I think Tommy Wonder published a similar effect, but his was an 'in-the-hands' transformation.

Your friend sounds like he adapted the handling to the table in a spread.

Sep 2, 2007
Oh, gosh, I know this. What was it called? I know it's a gimmicked deck. I was actually thinking about buying it. Sounds like he worked out a different handling. What was it called, though? Oh, crap.

I have not seen Tommy Wonder do an effect like this. But he did do the Diminishing Cards, which is where the cards are fanned and they get smaller and smaller. (No video on youtube of this) This is more of a stage act. I saw him do it a few years back, and I have the cards in my magic case which were from him.

The magic effect I believe you are talking about is Diminishing Returns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoQ_wj6mlY

Take a look at that video, it is a very cheap magic effect to buy. Just have a search around, I am not sure who the orginal creator is.

Sep 14, 2007
John Luka markets a gimmicked deck for a regular-to-mini illusion that looks good and would likely work for this effect.

Sep 1, 2007
Orlando, FL
It sounds like a handling of Brother John Hamman's Micro Macro.
It's a great trick. You can find it in The Secrets of Brother John Hamman by Richard Kaufman. It's also marketed as a separate trick. The Kaufman book is filled with some wonderful stuff and well worth the money.

Oct 17, 2007
I think its one of the tricks explained in the party animal dvd series by matthew j. dowden. nice video, he even explained several routines for that trick.

This sounds exactly like the Amazing Shrinking Deck by John Kennedy. It's available for about $30.

Lance Burton did perform an effect like this on his first special, The Legend Begins. You can check it out on the "Secrets of Magic" DVD available from amazon, which also features two other Oullet-produced magic specials.

J.

Sep 1, 2007
Florida
I have not seen Tommy Wonder do an effect like this. But he did do the Diminishing Cards, which is where the cards are fanned and they get smaller and smaller. (No video on youtube of this) This is more of a stage act. I saw him do it a few years back, and I have the cards in my magic case which were from him.

The magic effect I believe you are talking about is Diminishing Returns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoQ_wj6mlY

Take a look at that video, it is a very cheap magic effect to buy. Just have a search around, I am not sure who the orginal creator is.

No that's not it. In the effect I saw ,for one, the deck grew in this one and you see the mini deck ribbon spread on the table before the transformation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results