Openers..

Apr 26, 2008
When i perform my magic it's normally just for people that i know who ask me to do something. I don't really have a "routine" but i've wanted to start to put something together so that i could perform for more than just a trick or two. The thing is that i've been reading alot about how to make your magic have more impact on the spectators and i think that (as far as routining goes) i have alot of good "closers" and middle effects. And i hear all the time that openers are one of the most important parts of a routine but i've never gotten any good real world advice.

I perform lots of card and coin work with a little metalism thrown in. I really need some ideas for openers for a 15-20 minute routine with cards and coins.
Also, about how long should a good opener be?
Please suggest any effect no matter what the skill level is.

Thnx for the help!

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
It really depends on the performing style, and the opinion of the magician you ask. I think a good opener is one that is quick and to the point, gets the audience's attention whilst showing them your skill as a performer. I think a good opener is the 2 card monte, as it has audience participation so they wont get bored or distracted, making sure they are focusing ie. "I am going to try and cheat so pay attention" or the sort.

Some people do complex openers with lots of phases, but if you are performing for people who want to see you magic then it doesn't really matter too much. I mean, you aren't going to perform a crappy trick anyway so a "intro" trick doesn't really have to be a certain type. At least if you're performing for friends and family.

Dan and Dave's Hand to Mouth
ACR
coin tricks (usually quick and impressive)
etc

kevin

Dec 26, 2007
In my opinion angle zero is a great opener and, although some may disagree, its better than a closer, because it is easier to perform at the start and it is different to nearly every trick than someone may have seen before, leaving them begging for more.

Just a thought

Apr 26, 2008
I mostly perform to people who are on the street, just hanging out at my house and every now and then i will perform a few tricks if we are out at a restaurant somewhere. but i will perform in school or really anywhere that i have a really good opportunity ...

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Darwin ortiz talks alot about this in Strong Magic.

The main rule for openers is that it must reach the first climax as fast as possible. You can't have a trick with 5 minutes of patter before the first climax as an opener. The opener is made to grab people's attention, and make them want to stay for more.

For openers, i would suggest quick tricks like color changes (change a wrong card into their card) or sandwhich effects. And ACR would also work as long as you can reach the first rise quickly.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
If you use ACR as your opener, and don't mind having people sign your cards, have them sign it as it makes them more invested in the trick

just a tip

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results