Opening for a band - freaked as hell

May 10, 2012
Heya, I've done a lot of shows in the past few years and now I'm doing something I've never done before: Open up for a band. It's in my home town and it was really a last minute invite for me. I got a call from my friend who's in the band and she said "Hey, how about you open for us? We're gonna need ten minutes to get stuff set so how about you do you're thing?"

Okay. I said yes and now I'm freaked out of my mind.

The thing is I've never done a venue like this where people are coming to hear music and not really see magic. Plus I'm gonna be doing my new show. It's basically stand-up so I'm good there but I just don't know how the audience will take it.

Any advice guys?

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Try not to let them intimidate you too much. They're just people after all. If you hype up the crowd too much it'l be hard to keep your cool. Just do what you know works

Blaziken

Elite Member
Sep 8, 2012
Quebec, Canada
twitter.com
First of all, try to relax. Like Pav says, don't let em intimidate you, make a little introduction of your act. And try to do some routine including people, if there's girls, take the hottest one to help you or something and that will attract the attention to what you are doing because if the girl. In résumé, just calm down and interact with the crow. Good luck buddy!

Oct 13, 2012
Lithuania
They will come to listen to music, not for magic. But is that a problem?? Have you seen many people who don't like magic? I guess no. Just introduce yourself so the crowd knows what to expect and then perform what you know will amaze people and what you can perform successfully even if nervous. You say you've done shows in the past, so I think you will do it well, just relax and remember that
1) you have been practicing for a long time.
2)most people are not familiar with magic at all.
3) If you flash smth, audience will probably see nothing (if it's not a huge fail).
4) If it's a huge fail, keep calm - magic doesn't always work, it's damn magic.
5) IF you feel confident - people will think you're good.
Wish you best performance,
Vlad

Nov 8, 2007
Heya, I've done a lot of shows in the past few years and now I'm doing something I've never done before: Open up for a band. It's in my home town and it was really a last minute invite for me. I got a call from my friend who's in the band and she said "Hey, how about you open for us? We're gonna need ten minutes to get stuff set so how about you do you're thing?"

Okay. I said yes and now I'm freaked out of my mind.

The thing is I've never done a venue like this where people are coming to hear music and not really see magic. Plus I'm gonna be doing my new show. It's basically stand-up so I'm good there but I just don't know how the audience will take it.

Any advice guys?

Great opportunity, mate. First let me congratulate you by saying "yes" and taking a gig that scared you a bit at first. Putting yourself in new environments is the only way to grow and improve. And the more you do it, the better you will get and the quicker you'll get there. So congrats on putting yourself out there and taking your growth as a performer seriously.

First, I'd say change your mindset. Whether it goes great or not, this will be a good experience for you and will make you better. Don't get caught up in thinking this has to either be a huge success or a total failure. Look at it as this is an opportunity to try something new, giving it your current best effort, get a result, and get better from it for having done so. Shrug off the pressure, man. Have some fun. That's all your audience wants from you, so start getting into that mindset yourself. :)

Also, you're saying you're "freaked out of your mind" and "freaked as hell." That feeling is not going to change if you keep repeating those words. As long as you keep telling yourself that, your mind and body will respond with matched feelings. It's an auto-suggestion. Start saying you're "excited as hell."

Now you're in a good situation in that you're aware the audience did not come to see you, or magic--they came to see music and the band. So be open about that with the audience. Since they don't know who you are, you have a lot of leeway with how you open--and that will set the tone for how they respond to the magic you perform.

Start by appreciating the fact that they're there because they're excited about something else that isn't you and you're there to support that. An opening line like: "I hope everyone here is ready for an awesome performance from the Chainsaw Kittens because these guys are going to rock the house," or whatever is appropriate for the genre, lets the people know that you're supporting the band too and not trying to steal their thunder.

Be open with them in that you understand they're not there to see magic, and then frame what you're doing as a bonus gift from the band to their audience. "Now I know you all came to see the best punk band in Brooklyn play tonight, and that's what I'm here for too. While they're getting set-up to rock the house, though, they didn't want you all to just stand there staring at your shoes, so they asked me to show you some things they thought you'd enjoy. How many bands want you entertained during set-up? These guys are awesome. Let's give 'em a round of applause to get the energy off right for a great show tonight... Great. They'll be ready to tear it up in about ten minutes now, but they wanted you to have some fun in the meantime, so--check this out--who has a quarter I can use for a moment?"

This way you've introduced yourself as a sort of representative of the band and an extension of their show. It shifts the frame from the people showing up to see one show and getting a different, unexpected show to them seeing one show with some extended entertainment value added. Also, I'd suggest coming in under the radar and not mentioning you're a magician. Invite the mystery of "What in the hell is the guy going to do with a balloon and a phone? This is interesting." (This means not opening with a card effect.) Also, it doesn't invite any preconceived expectations--good or bad--of an unexpected magician showing up. You're just a fun guy who supports the band and wants to keep the fun going while they set up so everyone can enjoy a great music show.

Just remember--frame it the way you think the people on the other side would be most receptive to you and you'll be fine. Be giving both to the audience and the band that invited you to share their stage, and remember the point of what you're doing is fun. People are receptive to having fun.

Be sure to check back in and let us all know how great it went after you do it. Have fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results