Opinions on the Masked Magician?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antonio Diavolo, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I guess you could make one yourself?

2. This reminds me of a story I heard (I can't remember where so I can't verify it) that Penn and Teller once did a show where they revealed 3 common card magic techniques in the first half, and during the intermission they had a strolling magician in the lobby performing magic using those techniques almost exclusively. People were just as floored by the strolling magic as they would have been before seeing Penn & Teller reveal the "secrets" because they didn't understand that those secrets were being used right in front of their eyes.

This is essentially what misdirection is all about.

Maaz Hasan and Antonio Diavolo like this.
  3. Penn has some amazing views abt Valentiono btw...
    Anyways, I think his method of revealing magic was bad because it as you said, laid more stress on the methods than the presentation.
    Also, I should not criticise people tbh, but his persona on the show is terrible. He MAY be an amazing performer in real life, but not on the show. People will watch the show ONLY to ''know'' how some trick works, not for any other purpose, because it provides ZERO entertainment, is visually displeasing and also, his mask is really horrible.
    As I said, he may be a really good guy in real life. But not on the show, no sir, on the show he is that typical heckler who snatches the cards from the magician's hands saying, "I know how that's done, let me show you."
    Except this time, he is trying to snatch the views.
    People get motivated to join magic or any art form for that matter, if they see that it looks cool, amazing, beautiful, or whatever quality they like. In this case, he is not helping people get into magic. Because as I said, people will go there just to see how something works, they will not go there wanting to LEARN any effect. THAT is the problem. Maybe the idea behind the show was nice, but the execution wasn't, of course making him notorious among magicians and a waste of time among laymen.

4. Closing this because it is an old thread and it has run its course. PM me if you have any questions. Thanks!

Antonio Diavolo and ChristopherT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.