Opportunity?

Dec 29, 2008
Hi everyone, i started doing magic 3years ago....At first , i always want to perform for people. Practice at home all the time and perform for my classmates. after 2years, i go on the street and ask for people , and i still remember i did "Cellmate" by Paul Harris as my first attempt. And that was a great experience.
But last year, i seem lost my passion. I think there is no chance for me to perform, ( im leaving my school, and its hard to do street magic in HongKong.--> People would consider you as harmful person, and quite a lot ppl in HK are hecklers.....) Since that, i stopped doing magic. But my dad always ask me :" any new tricks?"...and i always say" no......." because at the same time, i have no new ideas..........
Although i stopped, i still hold my deck and coins sometimes....doing dl,muscle pass. I still hoping to perform for ppl.
Till last week, i was in a gathering and someone somehow know i can do magic......He wanted me to do for him so badly..........so....i did it.(i still hoping, so i still bringing cards)
Totally i did 4 effects...........He was like "WTF"........that made me feel interested in magic again,i haven't feel that for around a year, at that nite when i backed home, i took my cards and keep thinking of how to made what i did a better/smoother routine, and my hands just cant put the cards down.......

-----------------------------------------------------------

Do any of you have the same experience like me??? and how did you guys find those chances to perform??? always go out to the street??

Dec 11, 2010
California
Although I have been preforming less then you have, at times I do get the same feeling as well. I know that there has been many other people as well who have been or are in the same position as you are in.

If you get tired of doing tricks, it is fine. Put down the deck, take up another hobby, and once you get intrested into magic again then go right back to it. It is easy for people (musicians, writers, etc.) to get tired of what they are doing because they have spent so much time and effort into what they loved to do. Magic will always be there when you want to come back to it so dont sweat.

If you want to do preform you can always do flourishes and wait for people to come and talk to you. I have done that many times and the people who comes up almost always want to see a card trick.

Dec 29, 2008
If you want to do preform you can always do flourishes and wait for people to come and talk to you. I have done that many times and the people who comes up almost always want to see a card trick.

i will try that , thanks!!!!!!!

Nov 19, 2010
right now im only a sophomore in high school
in 7th grade i started up magic this was all before i knew about theory11 and ellusionist did not know about one of the cool magic sites i love today everything i did was actually learned from youtube(hey we all gotta start somewhere) and i did it for probably that entire year and did a good amount for the summer. In 8th grade i went to a new school and was happy about performing but the students there just werent as excited so i stopped completely maybe a semester in. at the end of my freshman year teachers had to do grading so they said we could actually bring stuff in like ipods gamyboys and CARDS. i brought some custom cards (black tigers) to play games with and these alone got peoples attention. Now when i shuffled i had a habit of doing one handed shuffles and one handed cuts which just got a WOW out of everyone. This gave an opening to perform and since then i havent stopped.
Long story short: there will always be a reason for you to make an excuse of not performing but there are interested people out there everywhere. If there hecklers than that means there interested and cant explain it so perform and love it as long as your enjoying it they will be enjoying it so i guess yeah i have had one of those experiences

Sep 20, 2010
well, check out my post for tips about making money i put together lots of tips m i think this will help you..

abou street performance, i do it in festivals or summer time in places where there are street shows. i never got a paied street gig only tips if you are looking for work, resturants, bars, hotels.. go and check at least 10 places and get your best 4 tricks to impress the owner, dont take only cards..
try to get at least 2 shows to get to know your audience and the owner, tell him that will seat before and after your show to hear his opinion and thoughts on your act. i will suggest to take a low price at first, and be ready with busniess cards and etc for any case and good luck :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results