Outjogged Hermann Shift?

Dec 5, 2007
Hello everyone.

Im looking for a card control for one of my routines where you dont shuffle your deck or anything and i was thinking about learning the pass. But then i found the outjogged herman shift 1 on 1 here and it looks great. But i was wondering How are the angels on it if you compare it to the pass? Also i was wondering can you control it to the top insted? Or do you need to shuffle the deck or something then? iv heard someone say that.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Hello everyone.

Im looking for a card control for one of my routines where you dont shuffle your deck or anything and i was thinking about learning the pass. But then i found the outjogged herman shift 1 on 1 here and it looks great. But i was wondering How are the angels on it if you compare it to the pass? Also i was wondering can you control it to the top insted? Or do you need to shuffle the deck or something then? iv heard someone say that.

The angles are as good as the hermann pass/shift if you are familiar with that. The best angle is the angle that you see in the 1-on-1 preview.

It is very possible to control it to the top of the deck. :D And the deck does not get shuffled :) Every card stays in order.

Hope that helped.

- Sean

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Yes it is possible to get the card to the top but... the deck does not stay in order. It does not stay in order when you control it to the bottom either. The angles are pretty good. The move does take a good amount practice and Aaron makes it look really easy (that's because he's really good). It is a great control to learn. I would recommend getting The Paper Engine from Aaron's website. The move is taught in that book along with several other great sleights. It's a great book to take you from intermediate to advanced.

Cheers!

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Yes it is possible to get the card to the top but... the deck does not stay in order. It does not stay in order when you control it to the bottom either.

Actually, it does. It just shifts around. :)

I may have misunderstood what you mean by stays in order. If you did this with a new deck, then the cards would not be shuffled in the sense of mixed up. But they would be shifted, just like a pass.

- Sean

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Actually, it does. It just shifts around. :)

I may have misunderstood what you mean by stays in order. If you did this with a new deck, then the cards would not be shuffled in the sense of mixed up. But they would be shifted, just like a pass.

- Sean

If cards shift around, they don't maintain order, nor does every card stay in order...

Thats like saying 1 2 3 4 5 is the same as 3 4 5 1 2.

Be careful how you respond to peoples questions, as you may give them the wrong idea.

-ThrallMind

Dec 5, 2007
Thank you guys :)

So you can just do the move and the card goes on top insted of bottom? Not any extra moves?

One last qustion, does this make any noise?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
If cards shift around, they don't maintain order, nor does every card stay in order...

Thats like saying 1 2 3 4 5 is the same as 3 4 5 1 2.

Be careful how you respond to peoples questions, as you may give them the wrong idea.

-ThrallMind

Yeah I guess you're right, sorry if that's caused any confusion on my part.

My only comment would be that in a deck of cards the order would continue.

1 2 3 4 5 is not the same as 3 4 5 1 2 and they're certainly not in the same order because they are finite sequences. If you put it in the context of a deck of cards

1 2 3 4 5 is the same as 3 4 5 1 2 because when you get to the end you start again, and you see that the order hasn't changed but the positions have.

I'm just arguing moot here. Lol, I'll shut up, don't worry. :p

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Thank you guys :)

So you can just do the move and the card goes on top insted of bottom? Not any extra moves?

One last qustion, does this make any noise?

You would definitely have to do some extra moves if you want to get the card on top while it is out-jogged. The sleight really only looks so clean because the card goes to the bottom. You have to own it to understand what I mean.

As with any other sleight, with practice you can make the noise levels almost non-existent. There is the possibility for noise. Think like the Ego Change. It makes a flicking sound usually, but I've refined it enough so that it sounds more like you are rubbing your hands together. Follow?

David

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
You would definitely have to do some extra moves if you want to get the card on top while it is out-jogged.

Sorry David, but I disagree... You'd only have to make one small adjustment and it's super easy to do.

It's explained briefly in The Paper Engine, for how to get the card to the top. If you're still wondering, then just PM me and I'll give you a quick sentence which should help you. :)

- Sean

On the download he actually demonstrates how to make a card go to the top. In the trick he explains at the end, just do it with the deck face down and don't perform it as a transpo effect, just a shift instead.

Sep 2, 2007
So is there any use for this in an ACR?
Yes, there is -- and Aaron Fisher discusses using the Outjogged Hermann Shift in an Ambitious Card Routine.

Of course, as mentioned above, you can take a selection, truly show that it is in the middle of the deck, push it flush, and bring it to the top of the deck, with a subtle alteration. Moreover, you can take the selection, place it in the middle of the deck, and then control it to the bottom of the pack, which provides a nice change of pace to the ACR and is also mentioned in the download.

Depending on what you hope to accomplish, the Outjogged Hermann Shift can be implemented as a powerful application to any ACR.

Cheers,
JTM

Anyone who doen't own this 1 on 1 needs to buy it right now! heh, or sometime soon. It's an obscenly useful and abusable sleight - meaning if done right it's completly invisible and can be re-used in your next trick and no one will suspect that that's when a sleight has taken place. Using it as a control, you can actually tell the spectator to insert it so they really FEEL it going into the middle.

If anyone owns this and needs any help with this, feel free to PM me and I can give/show advice on any aspect of this move.

Dec 5, 2007
How is the angels on this compared to the classic pass/riffle pass etc?

I would really like to learn the pass but i just dont have enough money to buy a dvd. Could this be a alternative?

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
How is the angels on this compared to the classic pass/riffle pass etc?

I would really like to learn the pass but i just dont have enough money to buy a dvd. Could this be a alternative?

Pass is found in almost every basic card book. For example, Royal Road to Card Magic, Expert Card Technique, Card College... Classic Pass is hard, but definantly worth the time put to it.

EDIT: Oh, and there is a Dover edition softbound versions of many books, and they are cheap.

I believe you can learn the Hermann pass in the download with little to no experience with the pass at all. It will just take longer to master and it will be the only way you will able to perform a pass.

For $5 you can buy Royal Road to Card Magic here:
http://www.lybrary.com/royal-road-card-magic-p-35.html

I'm finding e-books are the way to go for me, because I'll read them on my computer and then print out the parts I want to study.

And with the angles, the Hermann pass is a little more angle sensitive compared to the classic pass. But not as hard to perform. You can take your time and and spectators can burn the deck with a Hermann pass, but with a classic pass you can be surrounded but it's best used with a little misdirection. (IMHO)

The outjogged Hermann pass will be one of the best controls (and cheapest)you will come accross.

Dec 5, 2007
Im doing magic in resturants and partys and i usually stand at the end of the table, is there any use for this in that situation?

yes, distance can help the angles in the shift. you should probably turn slightly to the left when you execute the shift to cover better. Just go buy it, you won't be disappointed for $5, it's awesome

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results