Palming

Feb 18, 2010
I'm currently learning the top palm from the RRTCM dvd, and I'm really having a hard time with it.
Can the palm be done with people staring at your hands or is it always done with misdirection? What else can I do to make the palm work? Thanks!

Jun 10, 2010
I'm currently learning the top palm from the RRTCM dvd, and I'm really having a hard time with it.
Can the palm be done with people staring at your hands or is it always done with misdirection? What else can I do to make the palm work? Thanks!

Read Erdnase. It can be done with people staring at your hands.

Places to learn: Expert at the Card Table; Palming Fundamentals download with Jason England.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Misdirection doesn't hurt, though - executing the move on an off beat and such. The palm is one of the harder moves available to magicians. Everyone does it, and barely anyone can do it well. Try to work on being natural, and having a fluid palming motion. Watch as many people performing palms as you can - you'll see a lot of what not to do and a small number of what to do.

Aug 8, 2010
"Carney On Palming" is one of the best tutorial videos that i ever saw. Carney is da man. I recommend it for anyone

Jul 13, 2010
ECT has some great palming techniques.
If you prefer learning from a DVD, I would recommend 'Bob White: Practical Card Palming' over other resources.
'On Palming' is great, but the angles and camera work of White´s DvD is superior in my opinion.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
It can be done either way. The most efficient in my opinion is to just drop your hands to the side, like you're just standing. Remember, don't let the sleights limit you. Act freely and relaxed, and they will go by unnoticed.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The best way to practice it is to do it while NOT watching your hands. Do it slowly and go over the other bits of misdirection as well. Like doing the move while talking or making eye contact with the spectators.

Jun 10, 2010
Erdnase top and bottom palms (first method) can be done pretty well with less angle-sensitivity and people burning your hands with practice.

Read Erdnase, don't learn it from RRTCM. Much less a dvd than the actual book.

I can tell you now that if UM93 sniffs this thread out he will only post two words. "Read Erdnase."

Apr 24, 2010
Erdnase top and bottom palms (first method) can be done pretty well with less angle-sensitivity and people burning your hands with practice.

Read Erdnase, don't learn it from RRTCM. Much less a dvd than the actual book.

I can tell you now that if UM93 sniffs this thread out he will only post two words. "Read Erdnase."

Too late, he already did.

Nov 29, 2008
John Carney suggest that the palm should almost always been done on an offbeat. Stick with Royal Road for now and get Erdnase after you have put some work into RRTCM. Erdnase is great but Royal Road is the best place to start. You shouldn't definitely do the palm with at least some misdirection. There is no reason to do the top palm with everyone burning your hands if you don't have to. If you are in a situation where your are putting hte focus on the deck, then a good cover is to do it as the hands come together and then square the deck up. Also, put a little bit of movement in the deck. Like when you bring your hands together, move the deck up a bit or tilt it down or something like that. If you want some other tips, Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy, I think it is Inner secrets, the first one, has a section on some tips for palming.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results