Paperclipped HELP

Apr 28, 2008
I respectfully disagree.

My only thought throughout this entire thread was that "we are magicians." If we limit ourselves to what people will believe, then we are no longer doing magic, was are just very skillful.

For example, you do a double lift and show the queen of hearts. "Bury" it in the middle and then show it's back on top after a "fair shuffle." You do this to explain how card sharks can move cards anywhere they want. In reality, you did nothing you said, but the specs believe it; it's believable.

In magic, I strive to make it seem impossible.

Paperclipped is all about presentaion.

I always use PC with either ACR or 51 cards to pocket. Then I end by referring to my prediction, saying that I took it from a different deck, so it could match their card. "Wow. And it does....I just didn't expect it to match exactly."

I always gotten great reactions and always get told "There's no way that my card was there the whole time!"

That's what you're supposed to get from this effect. After I hand them their selection back, I always give them the paperclip as well to clip and keep on their card.

---

In my stand up routine, I have someone bring up a dollar bill for me (larger the better) and after I take their money I give them the paperclipped card and a reciept. Thanking them for their transaction.

They sit down and throughout the hour show I am constantly cracking jokes about the card and his bill.

---

PC is all about presentation. If you present it as a puzzle, as "see if you can tell me when I switch the card," then that is how they'll see it. And more often than not, the reason they view it as a puzzle, is because your sleights involved make it look suspicious and "movey."

*Word Count*[/joke]

Putting limits on what we can expect people to believe is realistic. Would it be nice if we could always shatter a spectators reality? Sure, but this just doesn't happen. As I said earlier, sometimes spectators have too many 'barriers' up and you can't always break through them.

As for your point about using shuffles to demonstrate how a card shark controls a card, you've completely missed my point. I have never suggested that magic shouldn't be impossible. What I have said is that in some situations you can push people too far and expect too much of them.

From your post, it seems that you're suggesting that because Paperclipped works for you it should therefore work for everybody else and if it doesn't work then it's because there's a problem with their presentation.

This is a very arrogant assumption. Some people's performance styles are incompatible with some effects. If they try and use an effect that doesn't fit their style it just won't work.

What kinda character would you attribute to Paperclipped?

What about me do you think is taking away from that?

Make as many assumptions as you want about me, based on my username, posts, avatar,etc. lol

If you put some performances on Youtube, even just performing to the camera then it would be easier to answer these questions.

Sep 15, 2008
If they try and use an effect that doesn't fit their style it just won't work.

Then knowing this, why would you perform the effect?

And yeah...That kinda is exactly what I am saying. The effect itself is a good one and one that works. If it doesn't work for you and it's not the mechanic part, then it's the presentation.

It's never the audiences fault, at least that's my take it on. You are there to perform to them, to cater to them, and if you're not doing it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Apr 28, 2008
Then knowing this, why would you perform the effect?

And yeah...That kinda is exactly what I am saying. The effect itself is a good one and one that works. If it doesn't work for you and it's not the mechanic part, then it's the presentation.

It's never the audiences fault, at least that's my take it on. You are there to perform to them, to cater to them, and if you're not doing it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

It takes time for people to realise what their performance style is and to get a feel for what effects work well for them. This can be a process of trial and error.

I never suggested anything was the audiences fault, i'm saying in some situations they just won't be very receptive to some types of magic. This is nobody's fault.

I don't really want to discuss Paperclipped any more, there doesn't seem to be much point as you don't seem to be reading my posts properly. In your first post you quoted one of the first posts I made in this thread, I then later clarified that post as I realised that I didn't express myself very well. You seem to have completely ignored all these later posts.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results