Parlor Show

Apr 4, 2011
Hey everyone,

This, is my routine for the upcoming parlor show which will be held in my campus this coming 28th. Pour some thoughts on it, and tell me hows the routine?

Clutch by Oz Pearlman

Cataclysm by Brian Caswell

Thumb Tie by Joe Monti

Basically the structure of the routine will be like a story of mine being a pickpocket, how i steal from others, and show them how fast i can do. I will use the card box as wallet whilst the selected card will be the money, then i will proceed to tell them, after the economic downturn, in which the inflation rate being raise tremendously, no one really bring that much money out to street, next i turn into card shark, and using those marked card to train myself to memorize a deck of card and use those skill to cheat money from other poker player. As for thumb tie, it will be my finale on how i escape from authority.

The size of the audience will be around 30 people, surround me. So, let me know what's your thought about this particular routine.

Hey everyone,

This, is my routine for the upcoming parlor show which will be held in my campus this coming 28th. Pour some thoughts on it, and tell me hows the routine?

Clutch by Oz Pearlman

Cataclysm by Brian Caswell

Thumb Tie by Joe Monti

Basically the structure of the routine will be like a story of mine being a pickpocket, how i steal from others, and show them how fast i can do. I will use the card box as wallet whilst the selected card will be the money, then i will proceed to tell them, after the economic downturn, in which the inflation rate being raise tremendously, no one really bring that much money out to street, next i turn into card shark, and using those marked card to train myself to memorize a deck of card and use those skill to cheat money from other poker player. As for thumb tie, it will be my finale on how i escape from authority.

The size of the audience will be around 30 people, surround me. So, let me know what's your thought about this particular routine.

I've never seen any of these effects, but I like the idea. It sounds good to me for not knowing what the effects are. :D

Mar 27, 2010
The only problem i have with the routine is why the wallet is a card case and why a card is the money. If you really ard a pick pocket why dont you just steal their wallets. Think about it.
My solution would be card to wallet. Just my 2 cents

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
A few questions to think about.

1.) Are you the only peformer or are others before / after you? If so do they have similar effects for that evening.
2.) How long are going to drag that out? There needs to be a happy medium. Don't rush but don't go so slow that everyone is bored.
3.) Do you have any music?
4.) Is this comedic or all serious / business?

I use Clutch all of the time. I do not know the other effects.

Apr 4, 2011
@SebaMan, the reason why i use card case instead of wallet is due to the reason that i actually telling them the story of mine, and after manage to escape from the authority, i pledge myself not to steal a real wallet, hence, card case represent the wallet itself. Sort of like a repentance, don't know this idea will work or not though, as this is the very first time i put out this routine.

@reverhart, No, only myself will be there on that evening. The routine will probably last around 20mins, and as for music, i did have several tracks from El Ten Eleven, some post instrumental rock tracks, which is quite ear soothing though. As for the style, most of it will be quite comedic.

I urge all of you to check out the other routine, especially the one by Brian Caswell.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think the routine sounds great, but I also hesitate about using cards to portray a pick-pocket. Cards for a gambling routine or card sharp routine make sense, but I'm not sure about them for a pick-pocket routine.

Other than that, it sounds great. Good luck!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
The effects look great. I would strongly suggest if shows are a new thing for you, to actually write down your patter, then begin to edit and change it as you practice. Then of course practice repeatedly until you can nail the time perfectly. This is a must when working corporate shows, so it's a good practice to get into.

Sep 1, 2007
@SebaMan, the reason why i use card case instead of wallet is due to the reason that i actually telling them the story of mine, and after manage to escape from the authority, i pledge myself not to steal a real wallet, hence, card case represent the wallet itself. Sort of like a repentance, don't know this idea will work or not though, as this is the very first time i put out this routine.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. That's just more hackneyed magician logic that should have died back in the 1970's.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
And why do you introduce the theme of card sharks, pickpocketing, [showing the possibility of] breaking the law (or somehow overcoming the law and authorities) and poker games when its been done WAY TOO MANY TIMES!? Why?

The story is good though, just not the way you do it. Think, think, and THINK HARDER.

*Shudder* Thats my theory11 for the week.

Apr 4, 2011
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. Lately i am writing down the script for the upcoming show,rehearsing, and try to polish up all the small details. Apparently you guys are correct, i need to change the presentation. Card shark, pickpocket is just too 'normal' for laymen?

I ll post up a video if i manage to find my friend to film it for me, or else, i ll just write down what happen on the 24th itself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results