People who think they know...

byu

Jul 1, 2009
USA
I guess we just come to the conclusion that there are good spectators and there are bad spectators. Some people will be easy to perform with, some will be more difficult. The ones that easily overlook things and are easy to perform with give great reactions, but they are not hard to fool.

On the other hand, the people that watch carefully, and that recognize sleights, they are what I really look for as a magician. They give the BEST reactions once they are fooled, and they won't even try to hide it, when I'm performing at least.

The only hard part is finding a trick that will fool them.

Jan 13, 2008
yeah, just try and know your audience, and control them how u can. if u show confidence and get them to like u first i think u'll be okay, they wont wanna distroy u if they like u then again maybe they will.

-Nikki
Yes, exactly. Personally, I paint it as an "us" thing. It's not about me doing an effect...it's about me AND the volunteer (heckler or otherwise) doing an effect TOGETHER. The outcome depends on US, not ME. It will change depending on the person, but for me that's how I go about things. :)

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Yes, exactly. Personally, I paint it as an "us" thing. It's not about me doing an effect...it's about me AND the volunteer (heckler or otherwise) doing an effect TOGETHER. The outcome depends on US, not ME. It will change depending on the person, but for me that's how I go about things. :)

yup that says it all.

-Nikki

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I guess we just come to the conclusion that there are good spectators and there are bad spectators. Some people will be easy to perform with, some will be more difficult. The ones that easily overlook things and are easy to perform with give great reactions, but they are not hard to fool.

On the other hand, the people that watch carefully, and that recognize sleights, they are what I really look for as a magician. They give the BEST reactions once they are fooled, and they won't even try to hide it, when I'm performing at least.

The only hard part is finding a trick that will fool them.

they might not always be magicians. they could just be those idiots tht look up stuff on utube. or they could jus kno a few tricks of the trade..either way, watch it.

-Nikki

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I guess we just come to the conclusion that there are good spectators and there are bad spectators. .

Correction....There are good performers and bad performers.

I saw the beggining post and I was just going to reply, but everything that I would have liked to say has already been said, so, ill just sit back and see how this unfolds :D.

I find that a slow clap and 30-sec blank stare can go a long way in shutting up hecklers who try "exposing" material for the rest of an audience. Doing so puts a very uncomfortable spotlight on them and make them feel foolish for ruining what was otherwise a good time for everyone else. Try it. I particularly like this approach because it doesn't look and feel like a 'rehearsed' response, so it takes the focus off of you as a "witty" performer and puts a very awkward, unsettling attention on the heckler.

RS.

Jan 13, 2008
There is a simple answer tho. Just ignore them and somebody else will end up telling them to leave or shut up.
That's the other advice I was alluding to, and hoping to eventually read, in my original post. :)

It's not always about what we do or say...it's sometimes about what we don't do or say that really makes an impact/makes a difference. :)

Romeo: That actually sounds pretty good...I've yet to try it, but I can already imagine how that'd go over. I'll be trying that the next time I encounter a heckler, as I always like to try new things. :)

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I dont mean to be a hippie, but why do everybody says"shut off the heckler" in a way or another, why not trying to be friends with him? if either you shut im up in some way, or the audience, he will feel offended, and thus, he will come harder the next time to ruin your tricks>Most hecklers just want attention, and they are jealous that you have it, so they try to take the spotlight either making fun comments or dissing your tricks, just, give them their time of attention and everyone is happy.

I mean, it has worked wonders for me so far :)/

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well essentially they think they are dealing with an actual heckler and not just a tough cookie. With a tough cookie they simply have to work harder at being more entertaining. With a Heckler, it wouldn't really work if you made them the hero or not. Most of the time, REAL hecklers are out to ruin it for everybody because they are just plain asses.

Jan 13, 2008
Well essentially they think they are dealing with an actual heckler and not just a tough cookie. With a tough cookie they simply have to work harder at being more entertaining. With a Heckler, it wouldn't really work if you made them the hero or not. Most of the time, REAL hecklers are out to ruin it for everybody because they are just plain asses.
Going along with what RDChopper (and myself) has (have) said (been saying), I've yet to meet a heckler who wants to make an ass of anyone if it means making an ass of themselves. Maybe it's just me. o_O

Sep 9, 2007
How you deal with your heckler depends greatly on your character.

The first is the "cool man". Sort of a nod to the Pickup Community, it works remarkably. I'll give you the coles notes...

(performing....performing)
"I know how he did that..."
(turn quickly, non chalantly, and like no one should pay attention to him because he's the equivalent of a child jumping up and down for attention and say) "cool man"
(quickly turn back and continue performing)

The more he heckles, the more immature he looks. Anyone can do this really.

Being that I'm sort of dominating in general - both in personality and stature, I have a few ways of dealing with them that probably don't work for everyone.

Sometimes, I'm up for a bit of clowning around so I'll say "wow! (pause) so do I!" and I totally juice up the sarcastic surprise. That, or I'll say "everyone give this man a round of applause!" and start motioning for them to start cheering. They'll heckle him out.

Other times, if he looks like a complete tool who no doubt will make a complete fool of himself, I'll take a small risk and say "Really? Lets see it." And hand him the cards. (I usually do only card stuff)

Again, not for everyone - it depends on your style, and how dominating you can be.

Essentially though, the methods consist of controlling the spotlight. Either keep it on you ("cool-man") or bombard it with him so hard that he gets embarassed and let the audience heckle him.

REMEMBER: You are in control. You are offering something to the audience, he is trying to take something away. They are on your side, not his. The second you think about it that way, it'll show in your confidence and it will become true.

Sep 9, 2007
also, you wanna be somewhat careful if u do ask them to show u it after they heckle explaining it. soemtimes u might get someone who acctually can do it. so just be careful.

-Nikki

Yeah, definately do this with discretion. It's important that the Heckler look like a complete tool already before doing this. If he seems at all intelligent, handle in a more clever manner.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results