People who think they know...

Apr 26, 2009
So today i was performing a tricks for some friends, and this guy comes up behind me, without me knowing, and after the trick is done yells out," I KNOW HOW YOU DID THAT," i told him it didn't matter, i wasn't showing HIM the trick. He then told my spectators ,"how," i did it, which was completely wrong...i was so annoyed!!!! Has anyone else had an experience like this they wish to share?

-Max

p.s.- i didn't use the search button, don't flame me for it

May 3, 2008
What you a refering to is a heckler. If they do it just say "Well even if you really did see how I did that, try to figure out how i do THIS!" and do some type of trick or routine that will really fool him.

May 31, 2008
What you a refering to is a heckler. If they do it just say "Well even if you really did see how I did that, try to figure out how i do THIS!" and do some type of trick or routine that will really fool him.

Yes, and if a Lion is ever attacking you, you should wave meat in its face and punch it.

In reality, there is no correct way to deal with a heckler. (But there are a lot of incorrect ways^^^^)

The way that I find best is to turn the rest of the audience against him.

For example:

"Didn't they teach you in Kindergarden that it's impolite to talk while others are speacking?"

"Are you drunk or something?"

"Your friends are going to hate you after this."

"Your new nickname is, "magician annoyer" your friends will call you this for the rest of your life."

Those are some that I just thought of. Do enough of this and eventually the other spectators will get mad at him and he will most likely shut up.

You could also try and make him feel as if they're in on the trick. This is probably a better method, but it can be quite difficult and requires a lot of presentational skills.

"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I think we've all had similar things happen to us before, ive had someone call me out infront of a group and tell everyone exactly how i did a trick. but, the other kids told him to shut up and said it was still cool and they liked it, though he ruined it. so i called him out. i said, that may be one way to do it...but thats not how i did it. but if your so sure of yourself...why dont u show us. and that shut him up.

-Nikki

byu

Jul 1, 2009
USA
Yes, and if a Lion is ever attacking you, you should wave meat in its face and punch it.

In reality, there is no correct way to deal with a heckler. (But there are a lot of incorrect ways^^^^)

The way that I find best is to turn the rest of the audience against him.

For example:

"Didn't they teach you in Kindergarden that it's impolite to talk while others are speacking?"

"Are you drunk or something?"

"Your friends are going to hate you after this."

"Your new nickname is, "magician annoyer" your friends will call you this for the rest of your life."

Those are some that I just thought of. Do enough of this and eventually the other spectators will get mad at him and he will most likely shut up.

You could also try and make him feel as if they're in on the trick. This is probably a better method, but it can be quite difficult and requires a lot of presentational skills.

"

If someone discovers one of my tricks, I will usually ask them how they think it's done. 95% of the time they are wrong. In that case, I demonstrate the trick AGAIN, pointing out that I don't do it the way that the spectator thinks I do it.

In the rare case that the spectator is correct, I'll just perform something like ACR that will definitely fool them.

Now, if someone discovers my ACR, which is completely possible, I'll probably just force them a card, have them hold it, and read their mind. That simple. Nobody ever gets that.

Jan 13, 2008
I would pay to see that. :p

Anyway, there are a number of things you can do when faced with a heckler...and taunting/challenging them is not at the top of my list.

The thing I do most often is have them participate in the next effect. It seems counter intuitive, but it actually makes it a lot tougher for them to catch you if they're part of the effect. Also, it makes them less likely to want to mess you up, especially if you play up the fact that it's the two of you doing the effect--why would the person want to make a fool of themselves?

That's just one suggestion. I'm sure many others will chime in with some more helpful advice. :)

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
It might just be my personal experience, but I tend to notice that if I am performing well and the spectators are enjoying it, they usually shut the heckler up for me.

Again, it may just be me though... :cool:

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Audience management.
Control your audience. Don't let them stand behind you when you do an effect like some creeper. Say something to them.

"You won't be able to see anything from back there." Bring the deck in closer to your stomach. It makes it hard for them to see the deck.
They'll work their way beside of you which is better than the back.

Also if you move your body, your hands, while your doing noticeable moves, it's harder for people to follow the deck and what your secretly doing from behind.

If you don't know they're behind you, and they figure out the method and they're blabbing, I like to say the ever so popular, "Show me" and hand them the deck. They won't be able to do it, then say "Ok, you don't know how to do it then."

One time I was performing, a kid was kneeling, looking up at the deck from underneath it. I was performing for his brothers and his friends and he saw something and I saw his face light up about to explode with a bunch of information.
He looked at me immediately and I just pointed one finger to my lips and said, "Shhh" as I smiled. He went along with it, so I kind of got him on my side. The others didn't pay attention to me because they were still thinking about the trick. Wayne Houchin mentioned this several months ago on his daily updates, which actually worked out in my case.

So there are some things off the top of my head in no particular order. (Sorry I rushed);)

Two Words. One Trick.

Gator Boots.

No, seriously though, if your spectators are having fun with what you are doing then they will dislike his interruptions. You may feel like he is making you look foolish, but trust me when I say he is the one looking foolish.

Hecklers are like children. They want attention, and are always in competition for it. While you on the one hand are just being a fun person showing some tricks, he sees you as a threat. So in an effort to upstage you, he tries to expose you.

Since the heckler is like a child, then you should treat them as such. I say something like "Hey it is okay if you have to explain it in simple terms so you can understand. However, the adults here would like to continue their conversation. So why dont you take youself, along with your lovely crooked hat and popped collar somewhere else."

There is a dvd about how different entertainers deal with hecklers. It was a documentary featuring some names in comedy like Patton Oswalt, Lewis Black, Dave Attell and a decent name in magic(Criss Angel). The movie is called "The Heckler".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZDtw1hEKfI the preview on youtube.

byu

Jul 1, 2009
USA
or you could try the line that always works:

"how about we switch places, ok? you come up here and do some magic, and ill sit there and act like a f***."

Last time I tried that, the person said "OK" and started dealing three rows of cards with seven cards in each row...

byu

Jul 1, 2009
USA
Audience management.
Control your audience. Don't let them stand behind you when you do an effect like some creeper. Say something to them.

"You won't be able to see anything from back there." Bring the deck in closer to your stomach. It makes it hard for them to see the deck.
They'll work their way beside of you which is better than the back.

Also if you move your body, your hands, while your doing noticeable moves, it's harder for people to follow the deck and what your secretly doing from behind.

If you don't know they're behind you, and they figure out the method and they're blabbing, I like to say the ever so popular, "Show me" and hand them the deck. They won't be able to do it, then say "Ok, you don't know how to do it then."

One time I was performing, a kid was kneeling, looking up at the deck from underneath it. I was performing for his brothers and his friends and he saw something and I saw his face light up about to explode with a bunch of information.
He looked at me immediately and I just pointed one finger to my lips and said, "Shhh" as I smiled. He went along with it, so I kind of got him on my side. The others didn't pay attention to me because they were still thinking about the trick. Wayne Houchin mentioned this several months ago on his daily updates, which actually worked out in my case.

So there are some things off the top of my head in no particular order. (Sorry I rushed);)

Reminds me of the time I did the Balducci levitation and the kid just crouched on the floor and stared. When he started to tell everyone, I said "I'm sorry I wasn't able to do it properly. I must have been too tired."

He was quiet after that.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
also, you wanna be somewhat careful if u do ask them to show u it after they heckle explaining it. soemtimes u might get someone who acctually can do it. so just be careful.

-Nikki

Jan 13, 2008
also, you wanna be somewhat careful if u do ask them to show u it after they heckle explaining it. soemtimes u might get someone who acctually can do it. so just be careful.

-Nikki
This is exactly why I avoid that route, and instead make them a part of the act (as a volunteer...how voluntary it is changes depending on the person/situation, hehe)...that way it's no longer me versus them. Instead, it's us on a team, so to speak. ;)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
This is exactly why I avoid that route, and instead make them a part of the act (as a volunteer...how voluntary it is changes depending on the person/situation, hehe)...that way it's no longer me versus them. Instead, it's us on a team, so to speak. ;)

Won't always work because they might end up trying to steal your thunder or ruin the effect.

Jan 13, 2008
Won't always work because they might end up trying to steal your thunder or ruin the effect.
This is where audience management comes into play...or, in this particular instance, your ability to control the flow of your own performance. You should never allow your volunteer to dictate where things go, what happens, etc...I'm assuming that if you're going to be performing for real people, you know how to deal with real people. Being submissive would obviously be a terrible mistake, especially when dealing with a heckler...but if you have a sliver of ability as a performer, then making them a part of the act shouldn't really be a problem. :)

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York

yeah, just try and know your audience, and control them how u can. if u show confidence and get them to like u first i think u'll be okay, they wont wanna distroy u if they like u then again maybe they will.

-Nikki

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results